iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Now What!?!?

Started by JB Griffin, January 22, 2015, 07:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB Griffin

My mosfet board came in tonite at 5:06pm 8) and I got it put on by the headlights of my truck, and.....no dice :'(.
Have any of you had the headrig not move until the speed pot is at half throttle or more and what was the cause?

Also my hyd. tensioner is not holding pressure, like losing 300lbs in 3 minutes, bad seals or low on fluid?

Sorry but I had to vent a minute, I only thought I was done with all these nit-picky problems, but have since learned better. :-\
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Magicman

Quote from: JB Griffin on January 22, 2015, 07:22:28 PMAlso my hyd. tensioner is not holding pressure, like losing 300lbs in 3 minutes, bad seals or low on fluid?
That is a simple fix with a rebuild kit.  It uses "square O" rings, so do not try to use standard O rings for a fix.

Here is a picture of my blown O ring.  The kit will have a new piston and everything needed for a complete rebuild.

Does your head move easily by hand after you remove a wire from your power feed motor?  (removing the wire removes the shunt (electronic brake) that the motor provides.)  If not you might have a splinter wedged somewhere or possibly a frozen cam follower.  I am just saying that there is always a possibility that it could be mechanical rather than electrical.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YoungStump

Does the head rig move smoothly and have the full range of speed once it starts to move or not? Just thinking that it could be that the dial on the speed pot is no longer aligned with the markings on the board, I know mine isn't, I'm thinking the speed pot on my 70 also has some travel before the head starts moving.

I know how frustrating little issues like this can be esp on a machine your not familiar with, and not just used equipment I've had my share of frustration trying to get the bugs worked out of brand new equipment.

Don't loose hope you'll get this thing running like it should before you know it. 8)
Echo Enterprises 45HD2 production series band mill, Cook's Edger, sawing mostly pallet cants, rr ties, and grade lumber.

JB Griffin

No obstructions on the track, head moves easy and smooth.
Don't really have full range of speed, it will speed up but not really slow down.
Magic, I figgered its just a bad seal in the tensioner.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Magicman

Right, but use all of the kit and rebuild the entire unit while you are in there.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JB Griffin

jcbrotz

Did you have a looksee at the forward reverse switch? it could be the issue as well as or the pot. I just got my new one from fedex today. My pot has a dead spot in it my right speed ain't there when sawing frozen hemlock to slow then stopped then to fast. Keep a sharp blade and go for it :D. That was my fix for the last few days. and its been awhile since I greased my swtichs so I would bet they are worn ::).
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

GDinMaine

Quote from: JB Griffin on January 22, 2015, 09:30:59 PM
No obstructions on the track, head moves easy and smooth.
Don't really have full range of speed, it will speed up but not really slow down.
Magic, I figgered its just a bad seal in the tentioner.

It could also be a worn or improperly adjusted belt on the forward-reverse motor.  It does not quite sound like it but it's worth checking. When I bought my mill, that belt was shot and produced intermittent operation of forward movement. Reverse was OK.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

JB Griffin

I might have this figured out, I was on the phone with Mike at WM for 45min tracing this down and found a wire in the wrong spot causing the ground not to be constant, got all put back together and it worked but was jerky and then .... it quit altogether, I had run the battery dead while working on it and my battery charger is dead as well.

Gonna charge my battery at my buddy's shop and try it again. :-\

drobertson

welcome to the orange club, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

JB Griffin

Thanks David

I charged the battery and... No power feed at all, Nothing.

Got to call WM in the morning. ::)

jcbrotz

Check the diode should only have continuity in one direction. Mine went bad and took out the board. Also have a look at the lights on the board to see what they are doing they help with problems My pot is going again or I have a bad connection as the input light goes out at certain spots on the pot. New one came Friday.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

JB Griffin

The lights on the board are working as they should, input from the pot is good too. ??? I have no clue on this as wires ain't my friend sometimes.

JB Griffin

Does anyone know WM rates for a service call???
I'm at my wits end and I owe money on this thing and can't use it. help_me taz-smiley

Larry

WM has a service center close to Springfield.  Might pay to let them go over the mill for ya.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Magicman

Call WM tomorrow AM. 

JB Griffin

I done and planned to call WM Mt. Vernon in the morn. I just wondered if anyone knew what they charged.

pineywoods

Never dealt with wm Mt vernon, but I can tell you about the guys in Indy. Have a test light or voltmeter ready and call them. They are very good at troubleshooting over the phone.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

4x4American

I agree with pineywoods, my friends lt40super hd he got used had some electrical issues when he got it, he called up the indiana boys and they told him just what to do to get it running right.  Good luck and stay strong, it'll come together.
Boy, back in my day..

JB Griffin

Yup, 45min on the phone w/ WM Indy got me 10sec of run time.
Something is wrong I just don't know what.

JB Griffin

Did I mention I really don't know what I'm lookin at, it just looks like a bird nest to me :D

4x4American

:D :D

I hate electrical stuff!

I bought a 1988 gooseneck trailer this weekend, tried to get some of the lights working for the drive back.  Man what a pita that was I might just better rewire the whole thing.  The wiring is all sorts of cattywampus.  Did I mention that the previous owner liked scotch-locks alot?  :)
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Hey Happy Birthday by the way, you're now a quarter of a century old!
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

Don't think about the entire "nest".  You are only concerned with one wire at the time. 

You sound understandably discouraged, but Indy can and will walk you through it.  Those guys are good and know their stuff.

JB Griffin

Yeah Magic, I know but I bought it to make a living with and haven't made a dime yet.

4x4 Scotch-locks ??? ???

LeeB

Be careful with what you do. You can easily burn another mosfit board.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

4x4American

They're handy units but up here in the north the salt gets inside them and ruins connections.  You can help by packing it full of di-electric grease.  I think 3M came out with some scotch locks that already have di-electric grease in them but maybe not from this trailers day and age.  They provide a method for splicing into wires.
Boy, back in my day..

Dave Shepard

My Parker trailer had scotchlocks from the factory. It apparently was made in a salt free part of Texas.  ::)

Hopefully WM will get you up and running quickly this morning.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

4x4American

Southerners....   ;D

Calm down I'm just joking!
paws side is from GA
Boy, back in my day..

JB Griffin

I figgered out why the power feed quit all at once... it tripped the breaker :D

Bout right for me to get all upset and it be a little thing like that. ::)

Musta been in a little bind as I reset it and it quit again, reset quit, reset and it works and ain't quit again. 8)

I'm happy esp. after I found out what WM charges for a service call :o 

Magicman

Inspect and be very sure that you do not have a splinter wedged somewhere in a cam follower.

Also, breakers do go bad and have to be replaced.

JB Griffin

The mill is set up slightly down hill and with the belt off it would get away from you ifin you weren't careful, so I don't think there is anything stuck in the rollers, but I'll check to be sure.

Dave Shepard

Too much of a slant would put a load on the feed motor, that could pop the breaker. Is your mill a standard, or a Super series?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

JB Griffin

Its a standard hyd. Dave.
Its about ½" out across a 4' level.

Magicman

I try to set up ½ bubble high on the operator end and the loader side.  No more.

JB Griffin

Please elaborate on that Magic, I just set mine up so I could clean it up and check it out good.

Magicman

I use a torpedo level when setting the sawmill up on a job.  I like the operator end ½ bubble high which allows the sawmill head weight to aid the power feed a bit.  The loader side being ½ bubble high makes the log favor the side support side and also allows the debarker weight to aid with debarking.

½ bubble to me is splitting the bubble with the first line rather than centering the bubble within the two lines.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

You are much more than ½ bubble off.   :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

JB Griffin

I understand the ½ a bubble part but wasn't sure about the reasoning behind it.

reubenT

Only problem I ever had with power feed box in 25 years was potentiometer wore out eventually,  It would get jerky occasionally and I'd use some cleaner on it,  but finally some of the carbon resister pad wore through.   It's just a simple motor speed control,  I've built quite a few myself for various projects. They have many uses.    I'm fixing to build another one in a few days,  slow it down to one second interval wave speed, then use it to drive a car ignition coil for an electric fence charger.  I think I'll try using it to charge a capacitor and then use another little switch circuit to dump the capacitor through the coil.  Capacitive discharge ignition.    Oh the other little issue was when I forgot to put the screws bake in the cover after a service and it blew away on the next road trip.   I just bent the edges of a used license plate down and screwed it on.  But that was on the old 80's version control box,  seems like they changed styles later.

Thank You Sponsors!