iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM Roller Guide - took a hit and broke off

Started by Andries, January 22, 2015, 07:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andries

I was milling short oak logs on a mounting jig.
All was going well until one of them got away on me and scooted over to the drive wheel.
Jammed the band up badly, stalled the motor and cracked into the drive side roller guide wheel.

At first I thought that it looked like a "badly bent" episode, but it wasn't.
More like "badly broken".

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Magicman

Ouch.  I see a welder in your future.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JB Griffin

2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Andries

It's deepest darkest winter up here, so I took this as a sign from higher authorities that I shouldn't be abusing equipment in freezing temps. I suppose that breaking things is the knuckleheads way of learning . . . .
The good people at Woodmizer listened to my story and sent out a re-fit kit.

So now the questions start.
Has anyone on the FF had to go through this? (or could I be the only knucklehead out here?)
How did it work out for you?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Magicman

QuoteThe good people at Woodmizer listened to my story and sent out a re-fit kit.
Since the good people at WM had a re-fit kit, then you are not the first to break that bracket off.  I am glad to find out just in case it ever happens to my sawmill.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tree Dan

Did wm give you welding details with that kit?
Are you welding it yourself?
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

Magicman

That kit looks to be a retrofit bolt on bracket.  No welding,

Andries

That what I would've thought too MM, but no.

The instructions with the kit state that the unpainted block should be welded on the C frame, with very specific measurement being given, and then the painted block is bolted to the now attached 'mounting' block.
So, your first peek into the crystal ball was right on MM.
Quote from: Magicman on January 22, 2015, 07:23:17 PM
Ouch.  I see a welder in your future.   :-\
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Tree Dan

Oh right, I now see the 4 bolts in the bag
Sometimes we make blocks like that to make welding easy,
And I was going to sugest just to run 2 small welds on the 2 lonng sides and not to weld the top and bottom...unless wm gave the welding details
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

Lawg Dawg

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Andries

Wouldn't it be just as strong and accurate to re-weld the block back onto the frame stud ?

The stud on the frame looks like this:

Looking for advice and/or experience on this.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Andries

Quote from: Lawg Dawg on January 22, 2015, 08:14:03 PM
Ya'll have Knuckleheads in Canada too?!
Oh yeah, really high quality ones, eh. Comes from a little bit'o frost between the ears.  :D
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Tree Dan

Yes It would be just as strong....They give you that threaded block to make the welding easier....But If you call in a mobile welder, he would just fit that brocken pc back on and weld it.

Best of luck

beenthere

Likely more strength with the longer welds on the new block, but likely more strength than is really needed (unless you are gonna try that trick again...  ;D  )
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ga Mtn Man

To me it looks like the new block would be stronger.  You're gonna have to do some welding anyway, so why not us the new one?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Tree Dan

Not sure if you have a welding machine up there Andries...But to weld that broken part back on, it can be a bit tricky for the novice welder because your sheild will be right tight to the mill...harder to see.

Andries

Quote from: Tree Dan on January 22, 2015, 08:47:08 PM
Not sure if you have a welding machine up there Andries...But to weld that broken part back on, it can be a bit tricky for the novice welder because your sheild will be right tight to the mill...harder to see.
Agreed Dan, thinking that its time to call in the pros.
I'm not a good welder, and my little buzzbox welder probably wouldn't have enough jam to take on metal that thick. As some other wise acreperson said:"when you find yourself in a hole - stop digging".
Might be time to take that 'old saying' to heart.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

HaroldSiefke

If it were me I would have some one hold the old one in place using old welds to get in correct place and measure it so I would have a reference. Then take a cut off wheel on grinder and cut majority off. Then grid flat and put retrofit in place. Measure to get in correct place tack on ends take out bolts and remove guide block and weld in place.... Good luck and happy milling. Hal
Harold

Magicman

At least it looks like the retro will be stronger than the original. 

HaroldSiefke

I suppose it depends on who welds it.   :D
Harold

Andries

Quote from: HaroldSiefke on January 22, 2015, 09:35:35 PM
I suppose it depends on who welds it.   :D
Thinking it'll be good and strong 'cause I'll get it done by someone who welds all day, everyday.
Makes me nervous tho, we've got to place that first block in exactly the right place.
I'll post updates as I go: detach the mill from the extensions, tow the mill to town, welding, then do an entire mill alignment, fire it up and see if it works.

If anyone has done this before, please chime in and let me know that I'm not the first kid on the block with this. :D hate being a guinea pig, or goat . . .
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

customsawyer

If it was me I would get a man to come out to the mill and weld it there. It might cost a bit more but you won't have to take the mill apart and then put it all back together. A good welder should be able to put it in the right place. If they do much welding they should be used to doing precise work.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

MartyParsons

Hello,
Yes replace with the new kit. Often times we replace the drive side mount because it is worn. If you have a 2002 or newer you should already have this style on your LT40 and larger mill.
The directions are included. You will cut off the stub still on the mill with a grinder or saws all, clean the paint. Follow the instructions on the measurement to locate the plate and weld the plate in place. I always put a old bolt in the hole to keep weld out of the holes.
I have installed many of these. If you have a welder and a steel rule with 32nds on it, and a grinder you should be set.
I hope this helps.
I would not re weld the old part on. Alignment is critical here, you do have some adjustment if you are off a little.   

Thanks
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Peter Drouin

And make sure the welder puts the ground right next to where there welding so the juice stays next to the roller and not all over the mill.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Chuck White

I guess, I'd go ahead and do it right like Marty explained.

I agree with Peter, keep the ground close to the welding location, you don't want your welding circuit going through rollers, bearings, etc.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!