The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: WM Roller Guide - took a hit and broke off  (Read 3163 times)

Offline Andries

• LT30G24
Re: WM Roller Guide - took a hit and broke off
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2015, 11:15:31 pm »
I suppose it depends on who welds it.   :D
Thinking it'll be good and strong 'cause I'll get it done by someone who welds all day, everyday.
Makes me nervous tho, we've got to place that first block in exactly the right place.
I'll post updates as I go: detach the mill from the extensions, tow the mill to town, welding, then do an entire mill alignment, fire it up and see if it works.

If anyone has done this before, please chime in and let me know that I'm not the first kid on the block with this. :D hate being a guinea pig, or goat . . .
Almost any kid will run a chore for you - if asked an hour before bedtime . . . .

Online customsawyer

• Senior Member x2
    • The Custom Sawyer
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2015, 01:17:41 am »
If it was me I would get a man to come out to the mill and weld it there. It might cost a bit more but you won't have to take the mill apart and then put it all back together. A good welder should be able to put it in the right place. If they do much welding they should be used to doing precise work.
Two LT70s and to much other support equipment to mention.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Offline MartyParsons

• Senior Member x2
  • Wood-Mizer Service and sales PA, VA, MD, WV others
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2015, 06:56:47 am »
Hello,
Yes replace with the new kit. Often times we replace the drive side mount because it is worn. If you have a 2002 or newer you should already have this style on your LT40 and larger mill.
The directions are included. You will cut off the stub still on the mill with a grinder or saws all, clean the paint. Follow the instructions on the measurement to locate the plate and weld the plate in place. I always put a old bolt in the hole to keep weld out of the holes.
I have installed many of these. If you have a welder and a steel rule with 32nds on it, and a grinder you should be set.
I hope this helps.
I would not re weld the old part on. Alignment is critical here, you do have some adjustment if you are off a little.   

Thanks
Marty
A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty. -Winston Churchill

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2015, 06:58:44 am »
And make sure the welder puts the ground right next to where there welding so the juice stays next to the roller and not all over the mill.
2008 LT40 super,2008 edger, Cat telahandler, JD 5410 And can cut up to 45' long
http://www.forestryforum.com/sanbornton     NH Timberland Owners Association supporter.
And a license NH soft wood grader.
Sawing since 1987

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2015, 07:18:08 am »
I guess, I'd go ahead and do it right like Marty explained.

I agree with Peter, keep the ground close to the welding location, you don't want your welding circuit going through rollers, bearings, etc.
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider
Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline Andries

• LT30G24
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2015, 10:22:06 am »
Thanks for the input and advice people.
Goose 63 had pointed out the 'on-board' electronics being sensitive to welding in a PM last night.
My 1992 LT30 is manual and about as basic as WM has ever made - so at least I won't have to worry about an Accuset or transponder getting fried.
Marty, thanks for the comments and really, someday I WILL have a mill thats 2002 or newer.  :D
Jake, good comment on mobile welders, but I think I'll pull the mill away from the extensions and into the shop.
I'm the second owner of this mill and, not to get too graphic about the details, but his work crews were related to Fred Flinstone - y'know what I mean . . .
I'm going to replace the battery box (bottom and side acid-rusted out) the blade guide assembly (been smacked into logs and is bent).
I've been told by the timber framer that I work with that there's a ton of work coming my way in the next six months - so the time is right for giving the old mill some TLC.
Almost any kid will run a chore for you - if asked an hour before bedtime . . . .

Offline pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
  • Engineering analysis-just sittin thinkin about it
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2015, 10:53:46 am »
I broke off the outboard guide. Positioned it back by eyeball and welded it with a stick welder. It was off a bit, but had enough adjusment range to get it back in specs...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club

Offline j-dland

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2015, 11:13:51 am »
    I agree with Marty, you have the re-fit kit, use it. Would also like to add , any good fabricator\welder could easily remove the mounting block, reattach to the guide, with a four sided weld, not three, then re attach the whole assembly. Sometimes you need cheaper\quicker solutions. Just sayin. On the subject of electronics, it is always good practice to remove battery cables before any welding on any equipment with any electronics!
David

Offline pine

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2015, 11:15:50 am »
As was already referenced. 
Any electronics that are on the mill isolate them.  Disconnect the battery, the ground cable, the power cable, and keep the welding clamp close to the point of welding/electrode.  With electronics you can never be too careful when welding.  Don't have a WM but have read enough of other folks woes on odd electronic issues to be careful.  I am certain that the WM instructions address this quite well as they know what they are doing.

Offline Andries

• LT30G24
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2015, 10:49:07 am »
An update on the 'hit and broke' thread . . .
After detaching the mill from the extensions, I hauled it to the welder's shop. Ordinarily that would be a two hour job, but we're enjoying winter here folks, so I've put this off for a few of those windchill days.
My welding guy had to look around for a steel rule with 1/32" graduations (he's used to working with mm's) and after cutting, grinding, marking and tacking it looked good. So, he ran a good strong bead around the entire block.

A bit of paint to slow the rust down and away we go. The bolts were there to keep welding splatter from getting into the threaded holes.

Offline Andries

• LT30G24
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2015, 10:54:29 am »
Looks like this with the mounting block bolted on.

That red colour sure looks awful next to that spanking new orange. Might want to cover that with sawdust soon.

Offline Andries

• LT30G24
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2015, 10:59:39 am »
Marty Parsons mentioned in reply #22 that the WM mills that are built 2002 and newer are set up this way.
So, lets see . . .  as I keep the repairs going, it'll be about . .  . 2038 and I'll have converted my entire mill to a new version!   :D

Offline Ga Mtn Man

• Senior Member x2
  • Y'all can call me GMM
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2015, 11:33:37 am »
Looks like he did a good job on the welding.  Bet you won't be breaking that off anytime soon.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2015, 02:49:39 pm »
Glad to see you've gotten you mill repaired.
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider
Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
  • Team red, white, blue and orange
    • Website Link
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2015, 09:06:36 pm »
Little late now, but still good to know, they make surge protectors for when you're welding on things with computers.  I always had to remember to put one on (and take it off) when I worked at a Western Star dealer because of all the computers on the trucks.  A friend who is big into mud bogging/dirt racing told me that at one bog he was at his arch nemesis' brother was welding on a truck after they broke something, anyways once he was done they tried to start it up but it wouldn't turn over.  Can anyone guess what happened?  Always keep the ground as close as you can when welding on cars, trucks, sawmills, tractors, etc.  It is also very important to have a clean ground. 

Anyways, looks good, I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon. 
Boy, back in my day..

Offline drobertson

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2015, 07:16:52 am »
 Good fix, thanks for showing us the process.  Oh yea, there is a least one knuckle head down here ;D I have to work with him everyday, heck of a nice guy, just at times dumber than a sock of rocks.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Offline MartyParsons

• Senior Member x2
  • Wood-Mizer Service and sales PA, VA, MD, WV others
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2015, 08:03:35 am »
Hello,
Nice weld job. The bolts on the right and left are course thread and the top and bottom are fine thread? That looks strange. They should be all fine thread.  ???  Did you change it or did it come that way? No big deal as long as you get your adjustment.
I replace a few of these a year. Most times the square hole is not square any more and the roller moves.

Marty
A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty. -Winston Churchill

Offline Andries

• LT30G24
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2015, 08:35:42 pm »
Hello,
Nice weld job. The bolts on the right and left are course thread and the top and bottom are fine thread? That looks strange. They should be all fine thread.  ???  Did you change it or did it come that way?
Marty
My bad Marty. You've got a good eye and I posted a fuzzy pic. The adjustment bolts are all fine thread, and stainless steel to boot. Nice! (I didn't change anything that WM sent me. Not THAT brave.)
Here's a better pic.