iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to milling and new here on this form

Started by fishfighter, January 22, 2015, 02:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishfighter

Afternoon everyone. Found this web site and it looks like good people are here. Well, today I ordered a new Woodland 126. My plans are to mill trees off my place here just north of Baton Rouge, La. Most of the trees are hardwood like different oak's. My plan is to use the lumber to build a new , camp , a barn and other things.

I'm  retired and have a lot of time on my hands. I'm a DIY type of guy. I will take any pointers when it comes to milling.

Thanks and I will keep y'all posted on my progress in the future. I should have my mill by the end of next week. Can't wait. ;D

fishpharmer

Welcome to FF fishfighter!  We look forward to sharing with you.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

thecfarm

fishpharmer,welcome to the forum. You will enjoy sawing. What are you using to get the logs out of the woods?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

fishfighter

I have a Case 580C backhoe and a couple tractors. It's raining here today and tomorrow and I just got out the hospital yesterday. But this weekend, nice weather is coming and I will start felling a few trees. How long can one go without painting the tree ends?

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, fishfighter.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Hello fishfighter, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  Adding your sawmill and location to your profile will help with answering questions about trees, logs, and sawmilling.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JB Griffin

Welcome to the forum fishfighter lots of good info here.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

samandothers

Welcome!

These folks know their stuff and are a great help!  Be careful cutting!  Thread going on now about cutting accidents.  Please read as it can help you to prepare for some of the stuff that can happen. 

Hope the hospital stay was brief and a simple thing. Go have fun!

78NHTFY

Welcome fishfighter! You picked the right place--great folks, TONS of info and a yuck or three to keep us all smiling :) :).  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

mad murdock

Welcome fishfighter, you are on your way to some good times. Nothing like the smell of fresh sawdust!! 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

RM Farm

Welcome to the FF fishfighter, your going to like that HM 126 :)
Thanks, Robert

Woodland Mills HM126; Kubota L3200 with FEL, quick attach forks.

Migal

Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

HaroldSiefke

Welcome to forum. And happy to see you in the woodland club... Great little mill. Hal
Harold

fat olde elf

welcome !! Gave a speech at the American Society of Horticulture Science Conference in Baton Rouge a long time ago. Lots of good Forum members in Louisiana. This is the best place for info and new friends. Good luck with your new mill !!!
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Andy White

fishfighter,
Welcome to the forum. You will really enjoy your Woodlands. I've been running mine for three years now, and have had no problems. Align well, and bolt it down good and it will cut everything you put on it. If you would like, come over to Sam Rayburn, and I'll let you run mine! Make lots of dust, and remember, We Like Pictures!!! ;D ;D 8)      Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

goose63

fisefighter your gona love that little mill 

just wish we weren't getting freezing rain to day would like to be sawing today   
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Bill Gaiche

fishfighter

Thanks guys for the warm welcome. I'm really stoked getting this mill. Like a 4 year old on Christmas morning. ;D

Been looking all over the web today just reading up on milling. Well, kind of been doing that the last couple weeks. I think I found the end of the internet.

Anyway, logging and sawmilling had ran in my family. The bad side on that was that my Mom's Dad got killed in his mill. That was way back in the 1930's. A blade tip broke off, striking him in the head. Mom was only 13 at the time when that happen. Some of the worker houses that he had built, still stand on the family homestead to this date.

Gasawyer

Welcome to the forum! And good luck with your new mill!
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

drobertson

howdy fishfighter, just reading your name makes me want to go fishing! ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

fishfighter

Wish I was fishing. :D

My mill is about half way to it's new home. Can't wait.

Killing some time today, I built a 6' Cant tool. I bit heavy, but tried it out on a few logs and worked go. ;D Best part is that it cost me zero. ;D

Migal

:D better git dat fishing done Once that mill show's up won't happen  8)
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

fishfighter

Planning on heading to my fishing camp mid Feb.  8)

My mill will be here tomorrow afternoon. It's sitting about 60 miles away. ;D I was going to go get it, but I needed to fell a few trees. So I dropped about 8-10 of them. Most are small 20" OD 18' up. Real nice Red Oka. Once I open them up, I need some 2x8x16 and 2x6x16 for framing.

Thank You Sponsors!