iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is wrong with this tree

Started by Pete and Jesse, January 21, 2015, 06:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete and Jesse

I was in my woods today.  This tree has very pronounce red bark and many of the scales are gone.
This stand was cut 6 years ago.  This cherry is 20" DBH.
What is causing this?
Is it a problem for the other trees?
Should they be cut soon?

Any help would be appreciated

4x4American

That looks similar to the red tarnishy lookin stuff that you see on pine trees.  I'm not sure what it is.
Boy, back in my day..

beenthere

Appears to be a seam in the butt log. What is behind the seam, don't know.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WmFritz

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Ljohnsaw

Hm, how does the top look,- did a branch become the new apical meristem?  Could this be an old lightning strike?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

mesquite buckeye

Should be a cat face under that seam, most likely a lightning strike many years ago.

I've also seen diseases move up the trunk like that from the bottom. Either way it is not a good thing.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Southside

I have an oak tree on the farm that has reddish bark like that on the south face, not sure what it is but it has been there for several years and has not caused any problems. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

wolvenkinde

Well those seem to be pretty mature for cherry and I'd say harvest them.  There is a seam in that tree that could have been caused by lightning, wind or ice...it could live for a few years yet but the sawlog value won't be there long(if at all anymore).   The only problem for the other trees is if it falls into another causing damage.  It would be better to wait a few more years between thinnings/harvest but if the trees are starting to decline for some reason(over-mature/rot/wind damage/etc) you may just be losing value without much benefit(vigor in those larger/mature trees is lower so growth is limited).
living it U.P.!

Pete and Jesse

It would be better to wait a few more years between thinnings/harvest

This was a very mature stand when it was cut.  The decision was made to leave some of the smaller cherry with the hope that they would provide seed for regeneration.  Hasn't happened.  Taking these trees will really open up the stand and the only thing growing underneath is beech and very poor red maple.

Well those seem to be pretty mature for cherry

Maturity of a tree of a tree has always puzzled me.  When is it mature, obviously not just based on size?  This stand was very mature with many cherry, oak and ash in the 30" DBH range.

I spoke to a logger on an adjoining lot, he is cutting many red oak that also have numerous seams.  We are meeting to look at mine this week. 

Thanks for your input.

pineywoods

That seam is very likely the result of a lightening strike, which sometimes does strange things to a tree. Only way to tell is put a sawblade to it. If it was mine, I'd cut it now...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Phorester

Looks like an old lightning strike to me too. They usually spiral around and down the trunk, but not always. If not that, it is probably a crack formed when the tree trunk was twisted in a strong wind many years ago. Either one, not a problem for other trees.

Thank You Sponsors!