iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stuck without a 4WD

Started by SawyerBrown, January 21, 2015, 05:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerBrown

Since I started doing custom sawmill work a couple of years ago, I've just used my 2WD Silverado 1500 that I've had for many years to pull the mill (as well as a tandem-axle flatbed trailer) to where it needs to be.  Many times I'm just pulling up on a driveway, a farm yard (with gravel), a roadside, ... something pretty solid.  For those times, it works great (and the mileage/power/performance/driveability on the roads is excellent for pulling a 4000-lb mill).  But it seems more and more I'm asked to go across a yard, a pasture, snow pack, down hills, etc ... and more times than not I can't get out without a pull, either by a 4WD or a tractor. 

I've started looking into 4WD's, but new ones are out-of-sight expensive (they've gone up a tad since I bought mine in '05! Wow!), and good used ones (especially 3/4 ton's with at least 6 1/2' beds) are rare and expensive, or they've turned over 6 digits on the odometer a long long time ago.  Don't need anything fancy, but reliable would be nice ...

So I ordered a winch mount for the front of the truck, and the necessary wiring and connectors for juice, in case there's no tractor or 4WD on the scene.  Haven't installed any of it yet.  My buddy who helped me last weekend (and took some of the nice white ash lumber) told me right away, "You need a 4WD!" even before I told him I was thinking about it ... so I've again paused to reconsider.

So maybe a couple of questions for you long-time custom sawyers or anybody else that takes equipment to a job site:  Anybody NOT have a 4WD?  (And how do you get by?)  Does it look un-professional to expect to be pulled out of a mud hole (been there, done that) ... or should we expect the customer to put the logs where that's not necessary?  Other opinions on the matter?

I guess the other thing for me is ... I really like my truck, and I definitely can't afford two ...
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

DeerMeadowFarm

I had a 2wd dumptruck. A 95 Chevy 3500 with dual wheels. I put 4 mud tires on the back and figured I was good to go; good grip, bed put a lot of weight on the rear, etc.  Not so much.... I got stuck...a lot! Not a problem when I was on my farm because I have a 4WD tractor, but still a pain in the neck. When I was away from the farm it just was awful.

I found a newer (2000) K3500 dually dump with less miles (18,000 vs. 96,000) for cheap money $4000. I would not get any truck without 4WD again. I had one when I was in highschool and since then it was 4WD until that 95 dump. Never again...

Snow really was never an issue in the dump truck, but the mud in the springtime was it's downfall.

slider

4WD will make life a lot easier for you.They get stuck as well but you have a way better chance of getting in and out of a bad place with one.I would not own anything else.
al glenn

Joe Hillmann

If the customer has a tractor or 4wd why not unhook the mill from your truck and have them pull it into position with their vehicle when you are in a iffy situation?

Verticaltrx

I have a few 2wd trucks, a 1-ton cab chassis dually and a couple 2-ton dump trucks. Around the farm I'll get one stuck occasionally, but a set of aggressive tires on the rear and a set of tire chains will do wonders. Often if you just get in a little slick spot and cant get moving, just laying the tire chains out on the ground in front of the tires is all you need.  You'd be amazed  at the places even a big heavy 2-ton truck will go when you have a set of double row chains on it. On a small single wheel truck like yours you should be able to throw a set of  chains on it almost as fast as rigging up the winch. Keep a 2x4 or 2x6 block handy, lay them in the chains as they are laid out on the ground, then drive up on the block. This will allow you to easily maneuver the chains around without the weight of the tire on them.

Another trick, if you are on some slick mud, keep a shovel with you and throw some gravel in front of and/or behind the tires. Its fun to see the looks on dump truck and cement truck drivers faces when instead of going to get the tractor to pull them out you grab a shovel. 9 times out of ten if  they haven't completely buried it, throwing several shovels of rock in front and behind the tires, combined with a little rocking will get a truck right out.

My main trucks are 4wd and it is really nice, but I don't consider it a necessity like some folks do. People still got lots of work done before 4wd trucks became common...
Wood-Mizer LT15G19

4x4American

You most definitely need a 4x4.  For right now in the winter, good grips and chains are important to have.  You can get a pair of chains on the web in the $200-300 range.  Anyways, I'd highly recommend an old Dodge with the cummins.  The models to look for are the ones with W in front.  D is 4x2.  Look for a W-250 or a W-350.  You can pick em up pretty cheap, they're tough as nails, and easy to work on.  Insurance is cheaper for a vehicle that old, and you might could register it as a vintage to save bucks, not sure on how that all works but I've heard of people doing that.  Having 4x4 has saved my hide many times.  Not really much cell service around here.  Wouldn't want to be without it, especially with a mill on back.  Check craiglist daily, you might find a good deal pop up.  Who knows maybe if you put a wanted ad up, the right vehicle might find you.  If you're looking at a range of old vehicles, stay away from the Ford twin I beam suspension.  They didn't put them in their one ton trucks but they did put them in their 3/4 tons.
Boy, back in my day..

Don_Papenburg

I would say that you should not need it unless you want it .  Sawing is not a mud sport. logging could be but preferred not.  It is more unprofessional to ask some one to saw up some nice lumber in the pig sty or the swamp.  It is bad enough having to work in mud when it is badly needed.  Then if they want clean lumber  they need to provide clean logs.  Mud wears me out way to fast.  Saw on dry and or solid surfaces only It is safer that way.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

WV Sawmiller

SawyerB,

Remember the old saying "The advantage of 4WD is it allows you to get stuck in more inaccessible places."

All trucks my wife (she prefers to drive a truck over a car for extra height and visibility) and I buy here in WV now are 4WD just because you never know when you may be out and get snow and need the extra traction to get home. I'd worry about taking my mill anywhere I can't get it out when I am ready to go so I'd think long and hard about having a client haul it to the work site where I can't reach it. He now has possession of your mill not you.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Andries

Good advice on all these posts, and you can only avoid snow and mud for so long. And a winch cable only reaches so far....
Your friend is the web - you'll find what you want there, at the right price.
I bought my used Tundra after a month or three of shopping. My kids call it my "oil-patch limo".
Didn't pay limo price for it!
Old saying: "two wheel drive to get stuck, four wheel drive to get out". (It another old saying - we just do it different than the folk in WV)  ;D
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

JB Griffin

I'd recommend a Ford F-250 or F-350 SRW '95-97 7.3l PowerStroke, Tough as nails, fairly easy to work on, more than enough power, much better front end than Dodge's.
Contrary to 4x4's statement the twin I-beam front end is fine. I have two right now '92 w/ 260k on it and a '87 w/ 600k on it, nothing more than a couple of u-joints and a oil seal, and the usual tie rod ends and such common to all. ;D
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

JB Griffin

I try not to be without 4x4. Too much mud and dirt roads to be without.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

4x4American

Yea but at the end of the day you're still driving a Ford  :D

I had a 91 F250.  Biggest pile of junk I ever owned! 
Boy, back in my day..

JB Griffin

I'm sorry you had a lemon but they all make 'em every now and then.
And I know where there's a Dodge that's as stout as anyone could want w/175k on it that's had 3 complete rebuilds on the frontend $$$$$.

4x4American

It wasn't really fords fault, it was the culprit of many bad owners, who didn't maintain it, and jerry rigged every stinkin thing.  I traded a dirt bike for it, was all I had, and the guy with the ford was good for the trade so we made a deal.
Boy, back in my day..

BBTom

I would love to say something about how the other guys are right about having trucks that are easy to work on, since they talk about dodges and fords, they have to work on them to keep them running.  That is why I drive a GMC, so I don't have to work on it, I get to keep driving why they are wrenching. :D (sorry guys, you left yourselves open for that one and I couldn't resist the temptation)

However, to answer your question, If you are doing much portable sawmilling in a rural area, you will be asked to set up in the woods, or the field, or thru the field into the woods.  Yes, I drive a 4x4 and haven't had much problem with getting stuck.  I would not be able to service about half my customers, if I didn't have 4 wheel drive.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

dgdrls

I'm with Don P.  It's not a mud derby and really who wants their 25K+ mill dragged through the mud or snow to get to a pile of logs?
If that's the only option the customer can supply the skidder or tractor to pull the mill or get the logs to dry accessible landing.
I have owned plenty of $x$ trucks and have done my share of outboard u joints/CV boots and joints, half shafts, front drive shafts and even transfer box work to suit me just fine,   With 2x4 you need to have a locker style/ anti-spin  rear diff some weight and emergency tire chains which range in price from $100-$700+
In the end you just need to decide if its worth the extra $$ for the amount you really need it. 

Best DGDrls

JB Griffin

You got us Tom, we did leave that open didn't we. :D

Point is, there is no perfect truck. (Until I put a Cummins in my Ford). :D :D :D

4x4American

:D :D  yea ya did tom...

if you do a Fummins, JB, I double doggy dare you to put a 10 speed in it!  You can bolt an eaton fuller rto6610 to the cummins somehow.
Boy, back in my day..

jmouton

i have 4x4 in my powerstroke ,   but it has been broke for a while and too busy to figure out the electrical problem,,  and i tow  our mill with it  and i have been stuck in  good looking ground,  and it sucks ,  and  doesnt look good on us ,  so yes 4x4 is important to me alot ,  just lazy in fixing my own truck ,,,and  i figure a 300,000 mile truck is cheaper to own than having 600 or more  month payments,and the customer doesnt always have the logs on concrete and level surface ,   last time  i got pulled out by a minivan ,,, dont tell anybody ,  it was embarrassing  bad enough to be towed out by a chevy  , never told my friends about it ,,,and in michigan  you need 4x4 alot  ,  we only have really 3 dry months a year ,  snow ,mud , ice , etc ,         thats my 2 cents worth ,,  get a 4x4 youll be happy

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

Magicman

I have not been without a 4X4 since 1969, and they have all had winches on the front.  That being said, I had to be pulled out Sunday evening.  This new truck came with MS tires that will just float on top of the ground and spin.  Also a ¾ ton truck is much heavier than a ½ ton and will get you in trouble much quicker.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

Quote from: Magicman on January 21, 2015, 09:47:09 PM
I have not been without a 4X4 since 1969, and they have all had winches on the front.  That being said, I had to be pulled out Sunday evening.  This new truck came with MS tires that will just float on top of the ground and spin.  Also a ¾ ton truck is much heavier than a ½ ton and will get you in trouble much quicker.

in the mud, yes, but here in the north a 3/4 ton truck being heavier is an advantage in the snow!  What do you run for a winch?
Boy, back in my day..

JB Griffin

Quote from: 4x4American on January 21, 2015, 09:20:32 PM
:D :D  yea ya did tom...

if you do a Fummins, JB, I double doggy dare you to put a 10 speed in it!  You can bolt an eaton fuller rto6610 to the cummins somehow.

Easy, its called a Gear Vendors overdrive unit, bolts right up to the transfer case, instant 10 speed. :D

4x4American

Now that'd be one heck of a truck!
Boy, back in my day..

JB Griffin

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

redprospector

I believe 4x4 is essential.
I have had them buried up to the frame, front and rear...before I learned how to use it.
What you do is go as far as you can in 2 wheel drive. Then you put it in 4x4, turn around, and go home.
I haven't been stuck since I learned this little trick.  ;D
Oh yeah, a winch is real handy too.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Brucer

I towed both my manual mill and my hydraulic mill with a 1980 GMC 2WD half-ton long box. I didn't go where there was mud.

In the winter, I clamped 9 concrete blocks into a steel frame that was bolted through the box into the frame. This was right at the back of the box -- it was equivalent to having 500 extra pounds directly over the rear axle. Made a heck of a difference.

I also carried chains but only had to use them once or twice a year.

If you have trouble getting your 2WD truck up a hill that is covered with ice or frozen compact snow, spread some sawdust on the hill where your wheels are going to run. It's amazing how much better your traction is.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

FarmingSawyer

I agree a 4x4 is essential...... I've been stuck on a flat gravel road towing stuff in 2" of snow with no traction....until I put it in 4wd low...... Now, as I found out recently.....towing 8000lbs up a long steep grade in 6" of snow...4wd isn't going to help a bit. I might have had better success if I'd had chains, or aggressive mud tires, or a transmission which wasn't on it's way out....... A front mounted winch would definitely saved my bacon..... Note to Self: Put a receiver hitch mount on front bumper.... then my winch could go on the front, the rear AND my mill and trailer.

I use a suburban as my ride....great rig. Hauls plywood and building materials under cover. Keeps my mill tools dry in the rain. Goes about anywhere and has been reliable for the past 10+ years towing all sorts of stuff cross country and everywhere else. No wonder the tranny was tired. Just glad it gave out in the winter and not while I was busy milling in the summer...... My 2nd rig is my AWD Subaru. Pulls my manual mill just fine, and keeps my jobs on the dry, clear, level ground.
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

blade69001

Simple rules for 4WD , two wheels going in and only 4 wheels to get out. If it takes 4WD to get there I surely do not want to drag my mill or trailer there.  I have a Bronco that I use when I am working with wood, the rest of the time it is a Honda civic or my softail. I am looking into a bigger truck F250 or comparable and it will be 4WD because I also do some timber harvesting and will use it for that.
Sean P.
Just being me, But it is ok you do not have to like me.

Magicman

@4x4American, my problem with Warn was relay failures and water intrusion into the motors.  I have had no issues with the MileMarkers.  I have three and bought my first one in 2001.

stumpy

I'm a firm believer of 4x4's. I've had them since I could drive for all the reasons stated.  I also love Diesels. One caution though.  If you get one of the newer diesels(like from the last 5-10 years) you will need to "work" it most of the time.  With all the emissions stuff as well as all the new electronic stuff they've added to modernize them, they don't like "easy" driving.  I don't use mine hard enough anymore and so I do alot of driving city speeds with no load.  I end up having trouble with emissions systems, and all the other sensors and electronic crap.  If you're going to get a diesel, stick with the simpler older ones.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

WV Sawmiller

RedP,

The problem with waiting till you get in the rough stuff to change from 2WD to 4WD is getting the 4WD to engage. All vehicles I ever had you had to make a complete rotation of the tires once you flipped the switch. Several times I have been with drivers who waited too late then we could not get the vehicle in 4WD. We always drove in 2WD till it looked like it might get sketchy ahead then change while we could still lock the 4WD. Its lots easier in more modern vehicles where you can shift on the fly from inside the cab but same principle with older models where we got out to lock the 4WD.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

4x4American

Quote from: Magicman on January 22, 2015, 08:14:09 AM
@4x4American, my problem with Warn was relay failures and water intrusion into the motors.  I have had no issues with the MileMarkers.  I have three and bought my first one in 2001.

Thanks @magicman.  I'm looking for a winch myself and kinda trying to see what brands are worth it.  I was told that the TSC ones aren't worth the money because they don't last long.  You know you taught me something about the internet today.  I didn't know that if you put the "@" sign in front of a name it will "tag" a person.  It's amazing the amount of things these computers can do that I have no idea.
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

I would venture to say that the @ tag is more of a FF and Jeff thing.   8)

4x4American

huh it didn't work for me.  Must be you worked some magic.  I never done it before, here or anywhere else. 
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

Oh yes, your tag to me worked.  The user ID/name has to be exactly right.  :)

roger 4400

I own a F250  4X4 during winter season, 3 inches of snow I'm stuck unless 4X4 . For me 4X4 is a must .But something to remember, with a 4X4 you only get stuck farther and deeper  :D

Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

Magicman

Correct!!  :)  My (late) Brother had his winch on the rear of his Jeep.  He said when he got stuck he did not want to go further, but rather back out.  ;D

blackfoot griz

As a youngster and a 2wd Chevy, I found out that there are two ways to get through something. One is traction and the other is...speed!
Both my personal truck (2003 Duramax regular cab) and work truck (2013 F-150 ex cab) are 4wd.
What I don't like about the Ford is the traction control.  I was plowing through some deep, heavy, crusty snow heading up hill and mashed on the gas.  The traction control slowly but surely stopped the wheels from spinning when I wanted them to do so and I lost momentum and was buried.
It would have been easy in the Chevy.

Can you turn off the traction control on the newer models?

4x4American

I'm not sure on the Turds..Err I mean Ferds, but a friend of mine has an fj and when he wants to get wild he pops the hood and pulls out a fuse or relay for the traction control and it turns it all off. 
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

Yes, I can disable traction control on my F250.

taylorsmissbeehaven

I think if you purchase a 4wd you will be happy with it.  I use mine a lot for all types of different things. (I spend a lot of time in the woods getting logs and goofing off!) Its nice to be able to pop into 4wd and move through a spot that otherwise would be a problem. JMTC
Also, thanks for the good words about the Mile Marker winch Magic.I have been looking at winches for some time and couldn't make up my mind.Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

SawyerBrown

Ok, y'all, I think you've got me convinced that a 4WD is almost a have-to for a legit business. While I don't really want to take the mill into a mud hole, there are times the ground is solid enough to support the weight, but too slippery for a 2WD, especially up a little grade.  Right now is a perfect example, when the ground is frozen underneath, but the air gets warm enough in the daytime to make the surface melt and get slick. In those cases, it's probably not unreasonable for a customer to expect us (me) to get to the logs.

I'd probably rather not get into the Ford/GM/Dodge debate, unless someone is aware of chronic problems with certain model years or components.  Think I'll stick with gas, especially with the current price difference in fuels. Wish they made an engine that burned sawdust ...   ;D
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Magicman

I would add Toyota to the debate.   ;D

Whatever you get, be sure that at least the rear diff is limited slip.

JB Griffin

limited slip sure is nice, I've never had it, its pretty frustrating to have just 1 tire spin and lose traction and have to put in 4x4. ::)

Magicman

A 4X2 with limited slip is almost and sometimes better than a 4X4 without. 

JB Griffin

That's a big 10-4 there Magic, my truck has a bad habit of sittin and spinnin and that's with a 1800lb bed on it.  >:(

Joe Hillmann

I modified the parking breaks on several of the two wheel drive trucks that I have had so I had one leaver for each rear break.  That way when one wheel would start to spin I could slowly apply the parking break on just that side until the power would transfer to the other wheel.  It wasn't as good as 4 wheel drive but it was way better than a one wheel wonder they were otherwise.  That set up with chains and I took at least one of those trucks anywhere a 4x4 could go.

Ianab

Basically you created a manual traction control system. And yes that would help. Same with having a limited slip diff. That will make a 2WD vehicle MUCH more capable off road, because you have to loose traction on 2 wheels, not just one.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

4x4American

Quote from: Joe Hillmann on January 22, 2015, 10:16:52 PM
I modified the parking breaks on several of the two wheel drive trucks that I have had so I had one leaver for each rear break.  That way when one wheel would start to spin I could slowly apply the parking break on just that side until the power would transfer to the other wheel.  It wasn't as good as 4 wheel drive but it was way better than a one wheel wonder they were otherwise.  That set up with chains and I took at least one of those trucks anywhere a 4x4 could go.

Smart guy!
Boy, back in my day..

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: Ianab on January 22, 2015, 10:30:58 PM
Basically you created a manual traction control system. And yes that would help. Same with having a limited slip diff. That will make a 2WD vehicle MUCH more capable off road, because you have to loose traction on 2 wheels, not just one.

Much more capable on road too.  I have had times where I was on a blacktop road where the drivers side rear wheel was on ice and one of the passenger side wheels bumped the curb and I was completely stuck.  It was after that that I modified the brakes

Dave Shepard

That would also come in handy if you put a 1500 HP engine in the middle and made a wheel stander out of it. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

reubenT

I found 4x4 to be a necessity.  have to go where the logs are and that is usually off road.  Got a good one back in 94,  an 81 dodge 250 Ram with winch and 33x16.5 mud tires. $1700.   It had been rolled twice,  cab beat out and windshield replaced.  Looked rough but worked good.    Had to replace the tires within a few months when they started throwing tread,  and the new ones lasted till a couple years ago.   I've now retired the truck to off road/firewood duty.   Last year I picked up a '94 one ton dully chevy 4x4 with crew cab,  very nice looking truck, not a scratch.   Paid $2200.    The 6.5 turbo diesel engine was blown.   It's still sittin here waiting on an engine.  Haven't found time to attack it yet.     The real bargains usually need a mechanic.   Like my ford 3000 tractor.  Bought it for $2000 with broken gears in the transmission.   Fixed it for $400 in parts.  I gained about $2000 in value for my time of fixing the transmission.  Few hundred worth of work I guess.    I was looking at used dodge diesel 4x4's last year and found lots of them,  bottom end price on a working truck was around $10,000.   And those were high mileage.     

One job I went to many years ago, the pile of logs was on a mountain side up a very narrow "road"  with super tight switchbacks.  One of them too tight to get the mill around,  had to unhitch and move it around by hand. (with some help)  And another even tighter I could pull ahead and back up the way the road went.    Quite a maneuvering job to get it up there.
  But the view was nice and the cook excellent.  My brother and I ate with the customer and stayed in a spare bedroom. 

hunz

On occasion, I can't even pull out of the job site in 2wd after multiple days of sawing; I have a 2000 f-250 diesel with all the hp goodies, but all that power does you no good without traction. it only means I can bury myself faster! Maybe I'm the only guy who does a poor job of keeping his sawdust shute pile clear. Usually after 3 days of sawing I'm standing a full foot higher than I did when I started the job....she is always harder to move after you've made her earn her keep for a few days!
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

Thank You Sponsors!