iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Southern Sawing

Started by ARKANSAWYER, August 20, 2004, 08:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARKANSAWYER

After talking to Kirk and some others at the pig roast I realize that some do not have the hazzards in sawing as we do down south.  Ticks and chiggers are a plenty down here but they are not the only things that bite.  Yesterday me and this cotton mouth was taking up the same space between two logs.  It was not big enough for the both of us so I kicked him out in the open and did what the Bible said to do and bruised his head.  37 inches of cranky.

Today at a different place Sam kicked up the darker copper head out of some leaves and cleared the sawing area of help.  So I would be able to get some work done I did what the Bible said to do.  Just got settled down and sawing again when this lighter copper head came out to see what was going on.  Once again no help and the Bible came into play.

The darker one was 23 inches and the ligher one 22 inches.  This photo was taken before the Bible was opened and it took some talking to get someone to shoot a photo.

So when sawing down south watch your step.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

rbarshaw

:oNot to mention the ones that dangle from the trees and jump down when you cut the tree down. :o :o
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

Larry

Well the 37 incher was not to small but the other two were just wee babies and hardly worth a mention. ;D ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

woodhaven

What gets to me is when bucking some logs and as the end drops off so does a copperhead out of  the hollar center. I have cut snakes right in half before. I know what I have done when I see blood coming out around the chain and bar.
Richard

rebocardo

Snakes, rats the size of small cats, yellow jackets, and whatever that big red wasp is called.

leweee

ARKY you putten them on the BARBIE Q ???
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Buzz-sawyer

This bird was killed here see the mill in the background? 8) 8)
My huff wheel loader is in the background also....also pictured is my daughter/sawyer
never know what youll come up with eh???
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Arthur

snakes arnt much of a problem here even further south than south.  most of them you just get a glimps of.

its the bull ants and fire ants that each you alive before you can take your first step out of there. O and the od thunelweb spider, mossies that sound like B52's and migies that you cant even see.

shopteacher

Arky, you must be what they mean when they say "he's a bible thumper" :D
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

etat

shopteacher, you musta been chasing that dang dog a looong time, coming sneakin back in here like that and all.  :)

tis good to see you back and that's a fact.  been real hard on me not havin you and dang to edge me on now and again 8) 8) 8)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Percy

We have upset grizzlies, ornery Wolverines, cranky moose(very dangerous) and at least I can see them commin. You can keep the snakes, they give me the eeeebyjeebys :o
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

woodhaven

Percy,
After your post my little copperheads don't seem to bad. :o
Richard

ARKANSAWYER

Getting the time of year when you have to watch out for 'rasslers.   They will rattle some times before they mess up your week.  Last year I got two 47 inchers and one 49 that had 11 rattles and a button.  I have been biten 3 times but never when sawing.  I guess it is a good thing I live in the Bible Belt. ;D   Once while sawing I had a copper come out of a crack in the butt of the log.  My son SCREAMED Snake as he left the AO.  Good thing that they can not make good time in sawdust and there was aplenty of it that day.   Cant hooks work well on snakes for the brusing the head part.   Wasp, yellow jackets, scorpions, snakes and such keep us Southern Sawyers on our toes most of the year.   Maybe I need hazzard duty pay?
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Corley5

Scorpions and poisonous snakes mean I'll never be a southern sawyer.  We've got wasps and yeller jackets but only for a 4 months and I've never even seen one of our  Massasauga rattlers
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

leweee

Only  Missasauga rattlers around here seem to stay in the peat moss bogs about 20 miles from here. Sure puts the boys off the bagger when one comes down the shut. :o :D :D :D
They are rare here.
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

LeeB

know all about the scorpions. i usually get hit about 4-5 times  year. doing good so far this year, only been stung twice so far. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

rvrdivr

Growing up here in Florida, I was taught, "if you ain't gunna eat it...don't kill it". :D  Here's two I didn't feel like eating that day.

Pigmy rattle snake. Small but deadly

4 foot Eastern Diamond Back. Taste like chicken!

EZ

When the fur prices fell to the bottom, the coon and possum population has risen very high. Which brings the rabies at a all time high. Four years ago, some of are highly brain personals decided that if they would bring in timber rattles at the one state park by me, they would control the coon and possum population. Now we have an over populated snake. ::)
Maybe I should mension to our higher above to bring in moose, bears and wolverines to take care of our snake problem. ;D
EZ

Bibbyman

I think wild turkeys take care of a lot of snakes in our area.  I've seem free ranging tame turkeys catch a snake in the open and work them over until there is nothing left but a skeleton.  :-X

It's been years since I've seen a rattle snake and the only other snakes I see are mostly copper heads when I turn over the last slab in a pile or lift a bundle of lunber that's been setting awhile.  

I did see a cottonmouth down at the creek a couple of weeks past but that's the first snake I've seen "in the wild" in quite some time.

They also have cut down the number of ground nesting birds like quail.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jason_WI

After reading this thread I gonna sharpen all my spade shovels. :o :o

I hate snakes, and there aren't any poisnous ones by us. The only mean looking one is the pine snake which can get 6 to 8' long.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Bro. Noble

Yesterday I had some farm chores that required me to quit at the mill early.  I suggested to my son Tom that if he needed something to do,  he could weed-eat around the scragg mill and edger.  I think he decided to watch the olympics instead.

This morning ,first thing, we started to edge what we had sawed Saturday.  I was just getting ready to put the first board through when I saw something move in the weeds  by my foot.  It was a fairly good sized copperhead.  After dispatching it,  my son offered to cut the weeds right then.  I told him we'd go ahead and edge,  but it would probably be a good idea to cut them before we edge tomorrow.

I'm about ready to return to the mill now having fed my face and rested my bones.  I'll bet when I get back,  the edger area will be all cleaned up ;D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Tom

Funny how short and steep the learning curve gets when helped along with some OJT, eh Br'er Nobel? :D

Paschale

Reading this post makes me willing to take all the snow we get to avoid having to deal with things like snakes and scorpions!  YIKES!!!  The worst thing I have to worry about is being stung by a bee, or being pooped on by a bird fly-by!   :D

Arky--

You've been bit three times by a rattler?  What was THAT like?  Can't that be life threatening?

And someone's been bit by a scorpion--I'm thinking a little aspirin isn't really going to take the edge off of that!  I'll take my snow!  :-)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Tom

I got nailed a grazing blow by a moccasin, it hurt but he didn't get a load of venom in me.  Had a problem with muscle pain for about 3 days.  He came out of it worse than I did.

Had a scorpion stick me  several times. The worse one was when I picked up a cabbage palm frond in a hammock in my early years.  I'll never forget that.  My hand burned like a hot poker had been stuck in it and my eyes rolled back in my head.  When I picked myself up off of the ground, the pain was subsiding but it didn't go away for several hours.  No long term effects accepting that I move stuff with a stick now before I grab it with my hand. :P :D

Your snow might be safer.  I don't know 'cause I haven't lived in too much of it before.  I can't see how it would taste very good though.  Moccasin gets a kinda fishy taste sometimes and scorpions, I hear, are crunchy.  I'll let someone else chomp on the scorpions though..... less I'm real hungry. :D

Paschale

Well...as to how snow "tastes," I've heard of people making maple sugar candy in the snow--pouring maple syrup into snow and letting it harden--hear it's tasty!

What you really gotta watch out for though is that there yellow snow!

:D
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Thank You Sponsors!