iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

help drying logs

Started by dee barshon, January 21, 2015, 02:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dee barshon

Hello, my name is Dee & i'm new to this forum.  I have acquired 6 logs, 4 of which I'm going to use as a climbing structure for my son & the other 2 I wanted to dry out & make side tables, or find someone to make the tables for me.  I have been doing some research & I understand that it takes about 1 year per inch to dry.  Can someone please clarify for me: the logs are 19.5" dia & 17" H.  Is the drying calculations related to the dia or the height?  Either way would i be info a long drying process?  Is anyone is a similar boat, would anyone be willing to help with the use of a kiln or some much needed advise.  I'm going to seal them this weekend with Anchor seal & lift them off the ground to store in the garage to start drying.  Any advise would be greatly appreciated.  Thanking you in advance.  Dee

Banjo picker

Welcome.....as to drying logs, that is not an easy thing to do.  You will need to have them sawn into lumber,and then dry them based on the thickness.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Tom the Sawyer

The outside (bark, sapwood, etc.) would rot away long before the inside of the log would get dry, if ever.  That rule-of-thumb is applicable to 4/4 (1") lumber, pertains to air-drying so it isn't likely to ever get dry enough to be used indoors (without further acclimatizing) and is pretty rough even then. 
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I have heard the statement that it takes one year per inch of thickness to air dry lumber, but that is indeed not even close to the truth in North America.  In many locations and for many species, the lumber is well air dried in 90 days of warm weather.

Because logs are likely to get stain, insect damage and severe cracking, we almost always saw the log into lumber before drying.  Green (meaning not dried) logs saw much easier than dry as well.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Fedge

What species of wood are you attempting to use? Do you care if they crack or are you looking for them to be perfect? What state are you in? All of these can effect what you are trying to accomplish.

Geoff
A smart man knows a lot, a smarter man knows what he doesn't know.

dee barshon

thank you all.  not sure what species they are, but i have lifted them of the ground & stored them in my garage away from the elements.  i don't mind if they crack, surely that can't be helped anyway.  i live in la, it's always sunny, well 95% of the time, so i guess that will help.  does anyone know of anyone in la that could help with the drying process, i.e.; willing to rent out their kiln for drying?  thanks. dee

xlogger

I saw up some large SYP logs up about 3 years ago into 16" and larger cants, put them on stickers and placed tin over top for storage. I'm sure rain and sun hit the sides of the stack. Took them out about a month ago to saw up and most had gone bad. This trees where alive when cut and in good shape. Any ideas why?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

terrifictimbersllc

One does not dry out logs that are going to be sawn.  Instead one saws the logs into boards of the desired thickness, and dries the boards.  Logs will crack if dried and then when sawn the boards will be cracked.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

beenthere

QuoteTook them out about a month ago to saw up and most had gone bad

Don't know what you mean by "gone bad"...  ??  Decay,   cracks,   warp,  ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

xlogger

I'd say more decay, they got somewhat soft.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Thank You Sponsors!