iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TimberKing Blade tension

Started by pine, January 21, 2015, 12:47:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pine

I know that each manufacturer has a recommended blade tension and it varies quite a bit and the method of measurement can vary as well. Cooks differs from WM which differs from TimberKing.

My question is for the Timberking owners.  For 1.25 inch and 1.5 inch blades what tension are folks using?  If you are deviating from the manual recommended setting why and what are the effects that you see?  Do you vary the tension based on the blade manufacturer (running TK blades WM blades or Cooks or Timberwolf etc)

redbeard

On The Timberking tensioner 1000 psi been working well for me. Lennox  Woodmaster, WM, Cooks blades and (TK ultra max my personal favorite) I use 1200 psi when there new otherwise 1000 psi after a few sharpening.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Tom the Sawyer

On my B-20 I start at 1200 pounds of tension.  I have tried several different brands of blades and I always start with 1200 although I have varied it a bit depending on the sound of the blade, flutter, etc.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Furu

Have not posted in quite a while but mostly read and watch.
Saw this and it caught my eye as just recently had a conversation by my blade company  in which I was told me I was running my tension too low.
Trade off being blade life vs speed/production.

4x4American

Thanks Furu.  I wonder why they changed it up?
Boy, back in my day..

pine

I should have responded before but Redbeards thread reminded me to come back and post here. 
Thanks Furu. 
As a result of your response, I called TK and they told me much the same. 
Seems to cut nicer will see what it does to blade life.

Thank You Sponsors!