iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cookie Table

Started by Bill Gaiche, January 20, 2015, 10:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gaiche

A lady wants a coffee table made from a stump from her yard. She had these red oaks removed a couple of months ago. At this time I believe she wants a cookie cut from one of them. She pm me on face book and said it looked like a flower. She wanted me to stop by when I go over to my little 10 acre place and tell her what I thought about making a table. I have read several topics on here about cookies and have sawed a few myself. I just would like for some of you to give me some direction on what would you do. I will stop and look at it and get a better description Friday. Thanks in advance. bg

beenthere

Let her know that it will crack, more than it is already cracked.

Hope you can get a pic and post it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Just Me

Very cool! Artistic. Nice eye.

My setup for that is CLC, "Currently Larry Controls". I would like to have a CNC but am not much of a computer guy.

Jeff

@Just Me did you post in the wrong topic? :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Just Me

Yes I did  :-[

I thought I was posting about the butterfly slab of Hackleberrys.

bornwithnoname

Quote from: Bill Gaiche on January 20, 2015, 10:47:02 PM
A lady wants a coffee table made from a stump from her yard. She had these red oaks removed a couple of months ago. At this time I believe she wants a cookie cut from one of them. She pm me on face book and said it looked like a flower. She wanted me to stop by when I go over to my little 10 acre place and tell her what I thought about making a table. I have read several topics on here about cookies and have sawed a few myself. I just would like for some of you to give me some direction on what would you do. I will stop and look at it and get a better description Friday. Thanks in advance. bg

as you can see im working one one right now

Quote from: beenthere on January 20, 2015, 11:03:19 PM
Let her know that it will crack, more than it is already cracked.

Hope you can get a pic and post it.
been there, is right it definitely will crack mine cracked alot but i like it i think it will look cool and i will fill it with a contrasting epoxy. If i was you i would cut it large and make a jig like i did and plane it down with a router with a large surface cleaning bit. Not only did the one i make crack it cupped as well about 3/4in over 36in. I rushed it and didnt let it dry slow enough the shop i put it in has a wood stove in the next room so it is dry but not too dry for regular lumber just lumber that hasn't dried enough yet.  i have another cookie that i put penetrating epoxy in and it is siting out side and it hasn't seemed to warp much at all. When i do it again i will let it dry and acclimate better and be more patience. I do have alot of experience with epoxy because i worked in a boat shop so i use it alot for other things. and am putting a bar top epoxy over the cookie when im done. hope that helped some...

Bill Gaiche

bornwithnoname, I have considered using your method if it to large for my bandsaw. It will cut 27". I will know what it is Friday. Thanks, bg

Bill Gaiche

I went by and looked at what the lady had on building a table. Its the butt cut of an old red oak. It measured 47" at the widest part. And the tree was still alive when it was cut. She wants to do the work herself. Her idea was the cut the legs out of the cookie in which I thought was a good idea. She has no chainsaw or experience but wants to get one and make the cuts herself. I commend her for that. I told her that it may not crack to bad since it had some cracks already and some ingrown bark, plus being a little hollow. I mentioned that she could use some broken glass of different colors mixed with epoxy to fill the large cracks. She could use some thinned poly for the first few coats to finish it off. I had my saw with me and I sawed a leg in another block of wood she had that came off the same tree so she would get an understanding of how it could be done. This table will supposedly will set outside on her back porch. I told her I would help her if she needed it for what ever that is worth. I guess time will tell to see what ever she comes up with. Thanks for reading. bg

Ianab

With the hollow centre and pre-existing cracks, that cookie is probably the best candidate you could find. It has the expansion gaps in it already, and probably wont crack much more.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

That one comes pre-cracked  ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!