iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Made a Maple Bar Top for a Lady

Started by WDH, January 20, 2015, 08:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

I had a Lady come by with a particle board and formica bar top that she wanted replaced.  She hated it.  We looked at some wood options, and she picked out a 14" wide, 2.25" thick, 10' long maple slab from one of the maple logs that @customsawyer  and I cut about a year and a half ago.  The bar top had a funky angle to it, but I was able to reproduce it.  A simple project, but it turned out well.  The wood had really nice character.  I expect that she will be pleased (versus the dark blue formica top that it replaces). 

Some people are white maple snobs, but personally, I like the color in the red maple heartwood.  White maple can be plain and boring  arteest-smiley. 

Sorry about the blurry pic. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

SawyerBrown

Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'll try to get a decent camera and put it up for auction.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

giant splinter

roll with it

WmFritz

Name that one the 'Hockey Stick Top.'

She's gonna love it.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

WDH

David,.

Will also need a decent photographer.  At least I had clothes on. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on January 20, 2015, 09:09:08 PM
David,.

Will also need a decent photographer.  At least I had clothes on.

:D                                Very nice counter top Danny.  :)

scsmith42

Sweet!  Can't wait to see pix of the finished top.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

sawguy21

Quote from: WmFritz on January 20, 2015, 09:07:15 PM
Name that one the 'Hockey Stick Top.'

She's gonna love it.
:D That is what I thought when I saw it. That is beautiful grain, are you going to stain it before finishing?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

POSTON WIDEHEAD

WDH, did it take 2 bookend boards or just one to make the turn and line the grain up?

Bill Gaiche

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Andy White

Danny,
Nice top, but how did you join the pieces together? Splines, dowels or biscuits?  Love the grain pattern.  ;) :) 8)   Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Just Me

Nice! I agree on the white maple thing. Its just as much work as nicer wood and just kinda boring.

WDH

The bar top came from a single, 14" wide board planed to a full 2" thick.  I cut the angle at the right place on the board, and put the two pieces together, which lined up the heartwood as if it grew that way.

I put biscuits in the cut ends with a generous amount of glue.  This lined up the two pieces perfectly.  On the bottom side, I joined the two pieces with alternating pocket screws on each side of the joint.  The pocket screws pulled the joint together as acted as clamps, so I did not have to figure out a way to use clamps. 

This slab came from a maple log that Jake and I cut summer before last.  It was the maple that began gray staining after one day of being flat stacked.  I believe this board is the one on the left in the pic.

thechknhwk

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

isawlogs

Thats a nice peice for sure. I like those pocket screws alot, there's so many times its save my .....  derriere! So to speak.  nice work Danny.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Bill Gaiche

Looks great. I use a lot of pocket screws also. Have any of you tried the bigger pocket screw jig from kreg? It has a 1/2" bit and uses larger diameter screws. Good for material 1 1/2" and thicker. bg

WDH

Bill Gaiche

Kreg Tool KJHD Heavy Duty Hole Deck Screw Jig Kit 6" HD Driver Bit          bg

WDH

Texas Ranger

The pocket screw stunt flashed a light bulb in my brain, don't know why I have never thought of it.  Good thinking, Danny.  Oh, good looking top, too.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customsawyer

I like it. That counter top looks mighty fine.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

submarinesailor

Quote from: Bill Gaiche on January 21, 2015, 11:03:24 PM
Kreg Tool KJHD Heavy Duty Hole Deck Screw Jig Kit 6" HD Driver Bit          bg

I love the Kreg pocket hole system.  Just received my Christmas present from me to me...and got it on sale:  http://www.grizzly.com/products/Toolboxx-Master-Collection/T25400.  It has all 3 sizes and 1050 screws along with several clamps.  Too bad its not on the market anymore.

I have already used the HD jig to build a new gate for the backyard.  My daughter calls my gate " the bomb" because of how SOLID it is...glue and pocket holes.

Bruce

Thank You Sponsors!