iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What are you self employed guys doing about health insurance?

Started by Just Me, January 20, 2015, 04:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Me

Blue Cross has jacked our rates up double, and that is switching to a $3000 deduct able. We are paying over $13 K a year for insurance that is basically just catastrophic. I'm not sure who Obamacare is helping but its not me.

I can't keep this up, work is a bit slow and I am getting too old to work long hours anymore.

Tell me what you are doing, I need to make a change.

I am having a issue right now with my shoulder but am light on work and don't want to go in because it will come 100% out of my pocket.

Your thoughts and solutions?

Larry

Holmes

I have Harvard Pilgrim $2000 deductible  $ 650 ish a month for each [2] of us.  I found BC to be more expensive so we switched. Our med. bills will be astronomical this year so having insurance is a huge savings.
Think like a farmer.

Corley5

My wife has insurance through her work.  Those deductibles and co-pays have went way up.  Otherwise I don't know what we'd do  :(
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Reddog

woodworker9

$865 per month with a $1500 deductible......each person, times 3.  My 24 year old son is still on our plan as he's back in school.

I've got an opinion on Obamacare, but I'm afraid I'll get booted off the forum if I share it.  Bottom line.....working folks are paying so the freeloaders get (almost) free insurance.  This cannot continue........
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Peter Drouin

Sinbad and the 40 thieves can learn a lot from the insurance guys. :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

luvmexfood

It's a no win situation for the working middle class. When I lost my job 3 years ago I was able to get my daughter insurance through the state at no cost but she only has about 8 more months till she turns 18 and I think it is gone.

Without asking the state gave me medicare but it only covers testing and treatment for STDs and will provide birth control. HA. For me to need any of those they would have to provide me a woman also.

For now I am doing without and hoping that the medicare will keep me from having to pay Obama's tax penalty even though it doen't cover anything.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Jeff

Lets not make this political so it has to be moved to the restricted board. The topic was made to help generate some ideas on what a guy might be able to do. Lets remember that when posting on this topic.

Tammy works for the school, where she has really good insurance. The problem is, by the time we buy in for me and the share she has to pay for herself, she is working for just insurance now unless she gets trips. She takes every trip she comes up for now, and is gone alot. We had to write a check to Marion schools this week because of Christmas Break.  She hates it that she drives 100 miles a day to and from work  23 miles each way 4 times) Gets up at 4:30 in the morning, and at the end of the two week period, if there are no trips, get a check for less than $20. The school has only one level you can get. Its good, but expensive. You are either all in, or all out. She cries (not whines, but cries) about it a lot. But we have no choice.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

loggah

No insurance here!!! 1 more year and my wife can sign up for medicare. I find its cheaper to just pay for the services ,but were both still healthy,knock on wood !!!!
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

red oaks lumber

i have good insurance through healthcare .gov. this is designed for the self employed. i don't care if you don't agree with obama  :)my question is why be bullheads and not utilize whats avalible? there is no prexsisting condition any more.i kept my same doctors and use the same facilities as before, to me it's a no brainer.
for my situation the aca has been a blessing :)
if you guys haven't checked it out yet, you really are missing out . :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Southside

I have it under my wife's employer now, honestly I don't think its worth having, she won't tell me what is deducted from her pay for it and its not worth a fight.  I have some serious back issues from two previous injuries about 8 years apart, (second time they said I would not walk) so she gets pretty touchy about the subject. I went without it for 4 years and anytime I needed a doctor I would tell them I don't have insurance and ask what they would charge for cash, with said green cash in hand.  I always, always got a great deal.  Mind you that would not work for anything catastrophic, just figured I would deal with it if that happened. 

I go to an acupuncturist for my back these days and have to pay 100% out of pocket as she does not take insurance.  I will respect Jeff's wishes here as far as my opinion goes...
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Stray one

Hi,
  After my oldest son got sick it became clear that insurance is a necessary evil.  I use to have insurance through a part time job but my rates tripled and that was the end of that.  After that I found out I could not do any better on the market place because like most people in AG my taxes make it look like I don't make any money.  My wife finally talked me into trying what her folks had.  It's through Christian healthcare ministry's.  I have never had to claim on it but my father in-law has had good luck ( fell a tree on himself, circular sawed his knee ! I think you get the idea).  It cost $90 a month (for the silver plan) for me and the wife, not sure what the kids ad to that. Don't know if this helps but it's what I know.

LaneC

I hope this is not off subject, and I will keep my comments to myself as well, but I will be trying to find something soon also. Wait until you get seriously injured on a job, by someone dropping something on you(heavy). COBRA insurance is an option now. $1970.00 a MONTH. Yes that is no type o. After that you still have your regular deductibles to meet. I guess the point is that sometimes MAYBE self employment insurance may be better in some cases.
Man makes plans and God smiles

brendonv

I had reall good insurance. Then obama care kicked in and it increased one day to the next over 75%. My good insurance became not affordable so i ditched it. I havent been to a doctor in over ten years anyways. Ill probably get a catastrophic policy.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

redprospector

We are looking into something called "Medi-share". Looks pretty interesting, and the doctor that did my wife's shoulder surgery said it's the real deal.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

boscojmb

I am currently paying about $540 per month for  an individual plan through BC / BS with a $1000 per year deductable. I think a similar family plan is about $1400 per month.

I have switched between Blue Cross and Havard Pilgrim a few times over the years.

After 20 years I just try not to look when I sign the check every month.  :-\
John B.

Log-Master LM4

WV Sawmiller

Just,

For the last 20 years I worked overseas and had 100% coverage through my company there. Got medivacced from Afghanistan to Dubai and had my gall bladder removed and kidney biopsied and it didn't cost me a penny. When that work dried up I have been able to piggy-back off my wife's insurance. She is a retired teacher here in WV. Its expensive but so is getting sick or hurt.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

JoeB

Howdy, 'tween SHMBO & I, pay $18,000. a year, thru her work, then I find out we have better coverage than her bosses.
Move a head, I need a upper & lower GI.
Paper work goes thru, schuluded 1/ 9. Two days before procedure,@ 8:20 a nice Lady i could understand, call to tell me to come to the in & out procedure with a check 4 $3100. and I'm liabil for double that!
This is for the same day procedure.!
Luckey, I was noticedpfyed  and canceled before I stayed in the bathroom 4 24 hours!

clww

I've got Tricare for life. $12 out of pocket for each visit. If I get my prescriptions on base at a hospital, it's free, but if I get them at the doctor, it's $4. Probably the #1 benefit of retiring from the military. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

LaneC

loggah, I am not sure, but I think if you did not have insurance this past year, they will be penalizing you come tax time. This will apply from now on from what I am being told. I hope I am wrong but they will tell you soon.
Man makes plans and God smiles

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: clww on January 21, 2015, 09:39:15 PM
I've got Tricare for life. $12 out of pocket for each visit. If I get my prescriptions on base at a hospital, it's free, but if I get them at the doctor, it's $4. Probably the #1 benefit of retiring from the military. :)

@clww,

What you've described is Tricare Prime, which as you know has a family premium (was $135 / quarter last I checked...) as well as the $12 copay.

The bad/good news is that ends when you turn 65. Then you have to start using Medicare. You have to pay the Medicare Part B premium which is $104.90 per month and you have a $147 annual deductible (part b is basically covering office visits and lab tests).

The good news part is that once you're 65 you no longer have to pay Tricare Prime premiums but qualify for Tricare for Life which has no premiums and which covers most of the charges not paid by Medicare ... You can also continue to use military health care facilities free of charge (space available) and the Tricare pharmacy benefits continue.

Of course this isn't too bad. Many people have it much worse. But I remember when part of the ongoing recruiting sales pitch for joining and doing a career was that if you did you would have "free healthcare" for life...

In the meantime, thanks for your service.

Herb Cumbie, EMC(SW), USN Ret

coxy

I have it thanks to my wife   we have MVP we have a 3000 deductible  so most of the time we never come close to that  don't know how much is getting taken out of her every week but I know its a lot 

Ryan D

Yikes!!! Those rates make my head spin. Up here my yearly premium is less than what most of you pay in 2 months and I have a pretty comprehensive plan.

Just Me

Must have jinxed myself. Yesterday I smashed up my middle finger, which is now my index finger. Didn't go to the doctor cause I did not want to pay the bill. Why do I have insurance again?

Thank You Sponsors!