iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Getting more power from a 026 Pro?

Started by Timberwerks, August 20, 2004, 06:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timberwerks

A friend of mine with a fairly new ( less than 15 tanks of fuel ) .026 Pro is not happy with it's performance. The first problem is the saw is running high on rpm 13,500. He can not richen the carb since there is no high speed screw. The saw just does not have the pull it should even with a 16" bar. What can he do himself to make the saw perform better. He is open to ideas even it means a new carb with needle adjusments.
Or does anyone know how to tune this saw down to the 12,500 rpm it should be?

Thanks
Dale

Kevin

Check with the dealer, no load rpm for a 026 should be 13,500 to 14,000 at max.
Sounds like it might be working ok as is.

kenskip1

Dale,
 Funny that this question has come up. I was at my local Stihl dealer and this very subject came up.The dealer told me that he has the tool to make adjustments.I will assume that this saw is still under warranty. HAve him take it to his dealer and have him richen it up.I told him that if I was going to buy this saw I wanted to help it breath. He told me about the warranty and all the BS. I said I want my saw to run the way that I want it to run.Anyway, your friend may be looking at possible engine damage from the lean mixture. Have him take it to the dealer and tell him that he is not happy with the saw.Tell the dealer that their are other manafactures that would be happy to have his business. Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

abeyanko414

Strange you say this about the 260. I myself bought a brand new 270 on 8/11/2004. I have cut down and sawed up three good sized trees with it now and am very unhappy with the power of it. I would like to get a different saw, but alas the money issue comes into play. I can't afford a bigger one. I have got a 20" bar on it, but I almost need that size for the trees I plan on cutting down. Any one know how much power I could free up by removing the spark arrestor? My friend has a 280, it's only got about 0.3 more horsepower and it seems to drive the 20" bar just fine. I am only looking for that kind of gain in power.

Timberwerks

Abe

I sent Dozer Dan an Email last night telling him that my buddy want's him to power port and tune his saw. Maybe that could be an option for you as well.

Dale

dozerdan

Hi Dale
 Thanks for thinking of me, I just sent you an email.
Later
Dan
Danny Henry
Central Pa.
Home of the Original Power Ported Saws
570 658 6232
dozerdan@sunlink.net or
dozerdan@nmax.net

Timberwerks

Just wanted to see if someone had some other ideas, new carb? The problem with the saw is no high speed needle and re-jetting is not the first choice. Anyone have a new or used carb with a high speed needle?

Dale

ccicora

The carb's high jet can be changed out for a bigger one. It isn't very hard. As for porting the saw, the 026 does good and retains plenty of torch. My original on I ported will outrun my 036 stock saw. I could get more out of it but it does the job very nice now.
D.Dan does do a nice job with porting these saws and they are still reliable.
Later,
Chris
I race a bit, just enough to keep me in debt

Timberwerks

Chris

At first my friend was interested in having Dan work on his saw but since he spent a good deal of money on the saw he want's to stay with a tight budget and see what he can do. When I have a few extra bucks I think I'll have Dan do my 372.

Dale

Chris J

Won't an older fully adjustable carb off a 026 work on the 026 Pro?  And aren't the new MS260s equipped with FACs (I recall previously putting my foot in my mouth)?  I put a FAC on my 025; got it for around $25.00 total on ebay.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

Timberwerks

I would think it would. Anyone have a good used one? My friend is worried about ordering a new carb with an old part number because of the risk of getting a non adjustable carb as a replacemnt for the old #. He also want's to stay away from re-jetting because he prefers to have an adjustable high needle.

Dale  

jokers

Tell your friend to search eBay for a Walbro wt-426 carb, it`s the most common fully adjustable carb for the 026.

The current part number for this carb through Stihl will net you the right carb but it will be costly, about $70.

Russ

Hunter

Your buddy may want to consider EHP as well. He makes some of the strongest Woods saws out there. I have seen his 026 jobs and 372's and they are very strong and never a question of reliability.
Just some other reasonable options.
Hunter
Jmccomas@insight.rr.com
614-554-2169
Dolmar / Efco / Redmax / Silvey Grinders Sales

jokers

Hey Hunter, have you seen what Ed posted in his forum about Ben Walker`s 260 Pro that he just built for him. Something like the saw is pulling 13.2k in the cut running 3/8 chain! That saw is smokin'!

I`ll be picking that saw up when I go to see Ed in the next week or so, looks like I`ll also be picking up my 7900 and 9010, BTW, thanks again for the great deal Hunter. If Ben is OK with it I will run the saw and make some video to post to back up Ed`s statement. You and I know that Ed is telling the truth but the uninitiated are probably having a hard time with that statement.

Russ

ehp

Hi jokers , I am sure that Ben would like to see some video of his saw, I put some timed cuts on his thread, it does cut well.
your 7900 works very well and your 9010 also I think you will be pleased

bwalker

Russ, go ahead and post some clips. I cant wait to get my hands on that little screamer.

jokers

Hi Ben,

I`ll get some video of your saw. Not sure if it can be posted here but I know I can post video at the other place.

Ed, there is no doubt in my mind that I`ll be more than pleased with what you`ve done to my saws.

Russ

stihltech

I think there is a guy on here that can make that carb work. ;D

ehp

BC_coops

return the 260-pro and get the plain old 260 (straight)

as i understand it, the "260 pro" has the worser carb, with fixed main jet.  It also has potentially other worsers, namely adj. oil pump and decomp valve.  The "260" regular, which costs less, has the better carb, with full adjust.

50cc shouldn't need a decomp valve, so the only significant difference is the adjustible oil pump.  upgrade the oil pump and you have a 260-pho, without decomp valve..

just a thought.

ehp

or just put a high speed jet in the fixed jet carb

stihltech

Think they will ever get the message Ed? ::)

Thank You Sponsors!