iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

6x6 or 8x8 help

Started by yarnammurt, January 20, 2015, 10:13:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yarnammurt

I am putting together a log/ timber house. And can't make up my mind if I should use 6's or 8's for the walls. How much difference would it make on heating and cooling?  The walls will be stacked green and have rebar drove in through 5 at a time.
ATS 10" Peterson, 09 New Holland 4x4 TL90 with loader, 125hp White,2 2009 Kawasaki 610 mules,

bigshow

R Value:

2.54 per inch of softwood  6": 15R  8":20R  8" would give you just under a 2x6 insulated wall R Value.
.71 per inch hardwood: seems hardly worth even bothering if energy efficiency is in question.

The logbuilder I learned from (decades of experience), said a log of with a top diameter of 6" is as small as you dare go for any thermal performance at all be it R-Value or Thermal Mass. 

I never try anything, I just do it.

Roger Nair

Bigshow, you overstated the R value of softwood by a factor of at least two.  Research values are found in table 4-7 in parenthesis.  12% MC are relevant for design value.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr190/chapter_04.pdf
An optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds, the pessimist fears that the optimist is correct.--James Branch Cabell

Dave Shepard

That's what I was thinking. I seem to remember pine being 1.3 per inch.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

BCsaw

I think if you stick to 8x8's, you will be much happier. With any type of log construction, it is always about thermal mass. The more you have, the better off you are. I have seen part time buildings use 4x4's, not very good in terms of warmth and strength. Inspectors like 8" as a minimum in my experience.
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

Tinner

Quote from: BCsaw on January 21, 2015, 12:09:22 PM
I think if you stick to 8x8's, you will be much happier. With any type of log construction, it is always about thermal mass. The more you have, the better off you are. I have seen part time buildings use 4x4's, not very good in terms of warmth and strength. Inspectors like 8" as a minimum in my experience.

+1
i have read (on the internet) 6" is ok up to the 45th.  And 8" north of that.

Thank You Sponsors!