iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lt-40 super slow head return?

Started by hunz, February 06, 2015, 07:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunz

Well I said goodbye to my lt-35 2 weeks back, and just picked up a 06' super. It has the perkapillar and remote operator station. I gave it my first run today, and noticed that my lt-35 return is 4-5 times as fast as this thing......my gut says an lt-35 shouldn't outpace a 40 super in any area, so has anyone else had this happen? It appears to move well forward, and I don't think the chain is hanging too low; drive belt? This thing is all new to me including accuset, sort of in "equipment education overload" right now. One thing is for sure, this thing runs like a rocket ship compared to the 35!(except for my head return)
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

Sixacresand

Hi Hunz. 
You have probably already called WM.  I had to replace an electronic module that operates the head speed.  In my case the head would not move forward, but would reverse fine.  Lucky for me it was under warranty.   
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Dave Shepard

I haven't experienced that with my Super. I think the drive belt is spring tensioned, but I could be confusing it with something else. Do you have Accuset2?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Sawmill Man

Probably drive belt is slipping and needs tightening or new belt. The supers hit pretty hard in reverse and its easy to slip the belt. Going forward usually starts out slower in the cut and slippage is not as noticeable.
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

Peter Drouin

The Belt,And Look at all the bearing that the head rides on :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

yep call wmz with a volt meter(test light) in the mean while check the belt as mentioned, and have to say, check the cam follower bearings and how the alignment is.  that sounds like a bad situation waiting to strike.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

MartyParsons

Hello,
How many hours?
Worked on a 2000 yesterday. Over 6000 hours, last time I worked on it was 2008. The power feed bearings were out and the idler bearing and a cam bearing. This does not help you but to find the issue I removed the power feed chain and pushed the saw head. It would not move.  After I replaced the bearings I could push it with one hand and the head coasted. Before that the head was jerking and making noise. The customer said it was the feed rate control making it jerk. A couple new bearings and a shaft and it worked good again.

You could also remove the wires to the motor and reverse them. The saw head will reverse direction but it should go back fast and forward slow if it is something other than the power feed assembly.
There were some changes in this time ( 2006) the power feed board was a big electrical mass located on the rear of the control box. It has a bar light for trouble shooting. Does this mill have this?
Before that there were solenoids that ran forward and reverse. I would bet you have the power feed board or it may have been changed to Accuset 2 and the power feed runs through the H bridge. If you have Accuset 2 and the power feed runs through this you can see the PF motor amps in the diagnosis screen.

Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

hunz

Marty,
  The mill has 3200 hours, and was told that the cam bearings were replaced around 1800 hrs...there may have been some confusion there, so I'll probably give the old owner a ring today to verify. The mill does have accuset 2 installed, what am I looking for in the diagnostics menu?
  I'll try switching the motor wires, that should at least eliminate anything electrical if nothing changes. I dont think the feed drive belt has ever been changed, so i'll probably be ahead to just throw a new one on. Unfortunately I'll have to wait until Sunday to troubleshoot, but I'm sure I'll get it sorted out.
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

MartyParsons

Hello,
The Super Power feed belts last a long time. I would check it but not replace it unless it is worn.

Accust 2, from manual mode push the up arrow. This is the configuration menu. Select other then push Diagnosis  you will see up down and power feed. It will be zero until you push the drum switch for up and forward feed it will read the amps the motor is drawing.
The H  bridge will have 6 terminals, center ones are 12 + and 12 - the wires to the left are up down and the wires to the right are power feed. You can check there. If there are no terminals on the H bridge to the right then the power feed it control by the original control. If there are wires on there then the power feed is control by the H bridge.

Got to run.

M
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Thank You Sponsors!