iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Future project! 1949 Tucker Sno-cat

Started by loggah, January 19, 2015, 05:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loggah

I guess i thought i needed another Mini-lombard project!! ;D I bought this machine today a 1949 Tucker Sno-cat. This one has local history,it was bought new in 1949 by the Waterville inn in Waterville Valley . one of the first Tuckers sold east of the Mississippi  river.
This machine was used in Waterville up untill the mid 1960's when it was bought by the Glidden family in Ashland aand then used at there rope tow.It has been parked for the last 20 years and today i bought it from a guy who i was i high school with whos wife was a Glidden. Heres a few pictures of it and that were taken just before snowfall this year.

Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

DeerMeadowFarm

Love those things! I know where there are a couple of them.

snowstorm

there used to be one sorta like that in belfast me 35 or more yrs ago. seems like that one had tracks on the front also. the tracks looked just like yours

kevin19343

I can't wait to see the pics when you pull up to the McDonalds drive thru in that thing.

loggah

My brother wants to make a "RAT ROD" out of it.  ;D heres another side view ,and alittle history on this machine from another forum.

http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=69351

the last three pictures are of this machine.

The four pontoon tuckers are a bit newer then this one.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Autocar

That will be a fun project can't wait to see it when your done.
Bill

whitepine2

Looks to be in good shape for it's age and yes it would make a nice
RAT ROD but is nice as is. The front end looks a lot like that of a golf
mower one of the old commercial ones that pulled gang mowers.
I think Worthington was the name of one can't think of the name of the other one.   

sandhills

That's just cool!  I think you and Slider need to get together sometime  ;)!

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WmFritz

I ONE WANT!!!

Another fun project Loggah. You'll need the sleigh to hitch on also.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

js2743

loggah

That might be a fact! I wonder how well Blue Creeper will work on a seized up engine ??? ;D ;D

thecfarm

Good luck with it.
What does that have for a motor in it?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

loggah

All the early Tuckers used Dodge powertrain parts.This one has a 6 cylinder 230 -or 251 -c.i. dodge flathead engine. not sure which, basically the running gear of a 1949 Dodge pickup.Theres a few at the junkyard! ;D These engines were also used in old welders,generators,Bombardier Muskeg,Bombardier J5,Bombardier sidewalk plows. they were a great engine with plenty still around. The grill is just a modified Dodge part!!!! ;D ;D Don

Just Me

I think this may be where the grill comes from. My 47 Dodge.

You posted while I was posting.........

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: snowstorm on January 19, 2015, 05:23:55 PM
there used to be one sorta like that in belfast me 35 or more yrs ago. seems like that one had tracks on the front also. the tracks looked just like yours
Now that you say that, I think the one I was thinking of like this one had tracks in front as well.

loggah

There are quite a few of the 4 track machines around, not many left around with the skis on front. Tuckers are just dodges in disguise !!!! ;D ;D

Holmes

Just Me  You have two golden oldies in that picture.
  Loggah why not pour some Blue Creeper in that engine , put a battery to her and see if she starts. 8)
Think like a farmer.

shinnlinger

White pine,

Worthington-Blitzer Golf course tractor used the  the dodge drivetrain. 

Loggah,

That would make a really sweet rat rod

Just Me,

Sweet 69 Ford!
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Just Me

Here is my favorite pic of the old Dodge. My daughter took it on the road to my house, and the old Ford in front of my house.

Unfortunately they are both gone. The Ford had a 11;1 72 460 with the big valve heads, ran like a raped ape, would out pull a stock diesel, but sucked gas like it was still 25 cents a gallon. It was not good on my back since I broke it and cost too much to drive. I sold it and the Dodge this year to buy a new Ford 1/2 ton with a V6. I went from 8 to over 20 MPG and it is comfortable. All I have in the old car stable is a 67 Volvo Amazon wagon. Rebuilding the motor in that this winter, ported, bigger valves, cam, headers, double springs, Weber carbs, couldn't just leave it alone....

Loggah, I am trying to remember where I have seen one of those in a field around here, if I do I will check on it. I would very much like to see this thing as it progresses.

Larry

loggah

My wife took a picture of me standing by the little tucker yesterday, i think i can fit in it !! ;D

kensfarm

Wow.. that would be really cool to see working again..  thanks for sharing the pictures. 

loggah

Well i guess i wont have this running for this storm!!! ;D to all who might be out in this ,stay safe ! Don

DEERE2720

smiley_whacko smiley_whacko i will be safe it will give me something to do

rick f

Have you started the restoration on it?
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

Thank You Sponsors!