iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log cabin siding

Started by Dugsaws, August 20, 2004, 12:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dugsaws

anyone ever make and sell any log siding, just wondering if there is a market for it
Doug

beenthere

Are you talking about the siding like Jeff is putting on his house?  
Sawing the siding from logs? or profiling the log shape to a sawn board?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mur

I make log cabin siding on a Logosol planer in conjunction with my Norwood bandmill.  I buy 6x6 cants, rip them to 1 1/2 inch by six, (so I get an over-run on the board foot standard) dry them and finish them on the Logosol at 1.25 inches thick.  I buy the rough cants at 35 cents a board foot nominal at a local mill, and I sell the finished log cabin siding at 85 - 90 cents per lineal foot of siding.  Finish is glassy, wood has been through the kiln, and end chopped.  Good looking stuff.  People here build the big log homes and then finish the outbuildings with this siding.  Very popular up in Northern BC.  I sell all I make and I put it out in 2-5 thousand lineal feet batches.  Do the math.  It's a profit centre.  Have done two batches this year and will probably do at least one more.  Once the snow flies in October, it'll be over for the year.  All prices in Canadian pesos.  
Don't dream it, be it.

Don_Lewis

There are a number of US mills doing very well with this product. One I know produces at least a hundred thousand board feet a week.

Gary_C

It is so popular here that the siding companies have come out with a painted steel log cabin siding. There is a house 3 miles from me that they stripped some beautiful cedar siding off and replaced it with that dark brown, shiny steel siding and it is ugly.

I guess they wanted to live in a maintenance free tin can.  ::)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Thank You Sponsors!