iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

030av

Started by ktowne030311, January 19, 2015, 12:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ktowne030311

Picked one up last night for a bag of rollie cigarettes and 20$  :D.  I understand that this saw has points on it. Has anyone ever tried converting one of these saws over to a coil ignition? 
       Here she is,

McCulloch 5-49, Ms290/390 frankenstein, 030av, 051av

old 030

i've owned four 030av's over the years, i've always had my best results by just repairing the point ignition systems on them, others have had good luck using trigger modules, but on these series saws there's not a real good place to mount one, mine always ran great with the standard point ignition once repaired properly.............

Remle

You may find points and condensers for that saw are hard to come by and very expensive if you do find them. I picked up an 028A of the same age. Went to a local dealer and he sold me an Electronic Transistorized Ignition Module, Nova II 31-8786, it's the best thing since sliced bread in my book, saw starts so much better. Their about $12 on E-bay. But since you are so close, stop down to the Pike Hardware in Pike, NY.  If you want to do it up right get a new carb kit and fuel line.   PS: I have no affiliation with them, gust real nice group of people to deal with.

ktowne030311

Remle - looked up the ETIM Nova 2 you recommended and found it on ebay for 12$ plus shipping. this ETIM is greek to me. what exactly does this do? ???
McCulloch 5-49, Ms290/390 frankenstein, 030av, 051av

Remle

Solid state replacement for the points and condenser, that's all. No more worry about setting the points or corroded point to deal with. You use the wire from the coil to the old points on the( + side ) of the module and the other wire on the module(- side goes to ground) that's it. Saw gets good strong spark all the time. Should come with easy to follow instructions, just can not beat it's so simple..

Thank You Sponsors!