iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

best two-man crosscut saw?

Started by TomG, January 19, 2015, 10:30:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomG

I want to get a two-man crosscut saw. Not sure which brand and which blade type is best. Main use will be 18"+ felled or downed trees, mostly seasoned (not green). I have decent experience (5 years or so) using an axe and bow saw for gathering firewood. I like using hand tools and I like the exercise. I don't want a chainsaw. Would most appreciate recommendations from people who have experience with these saws. I want quality and/or to know what the best is and how much better that is than second-best. Reading recommendations also most appreciated. Thanks.

pineywoods

None of them work worth a hoot for very long untill you learn to set and sharpen them..Crosscut saws will probably need some blade lube. We always used kerosene
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Jeff

Yup, the saw will be no better than your skills to sharpen and set it no matter what brand, and that is a very steep learning curve. One I have never come close to aquiring let alone master. I have a dozen or so of them all told, maybe two of which are in cutting condition and that is because I had a couple of old timers help me get them that way.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

TomG

Sounds like it's best to forget the idea unless I can find an old-timer nearby. Thing is, I like hand tools, saws, etc. and would be willing to learn the skill. Hope there are some more ideas out there.

Jeff

TomG

Thanks, that's a place to start. Have you actually tried to do it and couldn't? I mean gave it a real go and couldn't get it right.

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum!

I wouldn't give up. If you don't learn how to do it, either from someone who knows, or from a book, then it becomes another skill lost. I've sharpened a one man crosscut, and got it to cut pretty well, but I know I need to take it to the next level and clean up the sides of the plate and reset it. Of course, once you get it cutting, you need to find someone to run the other end. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff

Quote from: TomG on January 19, 2015, 11:32:04 AM
Thanks, that's a place to start. Have you actually tried to do it and couldn't? I mean gave it a real go and couldn't get it right.

Yes, and I did it to the point that Dave probably did, however I decided my time was far more valuable then my yern to use a misery whip. Its something you need to do all the time to get efficient or decent at it. I have more than an adequate supply of original tools to do the job, but pulling a cord is a lot easier when you work by yourself most of the time.

The saw on the mantle I sharpened. While not a two man, its the same process. I proved I could do it, then put it up there where it has been for several years now.

Dave Shepard

That is a nice collection of jointers. Are those saw wrests in the middle left column?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

TomG

"I proved I could do it, then put it up there where it has been for several years now."

That's a classic! Do want to avoid that. Maybe I just need a monster bow saw. GF enjoys working with me in the woods and it is her suggestion we get a two-man saw for some of the larger trees. Those hours are very enjoyable for both of us, so I am researching the idea. As Dave said, it's a shame to lose those skills.

Jeff

Quote from: TomG on January 19, 2015, 11:55:53 AM
"I proved I could do it, then put it up there where it has been for several years now."

That's me in a nutshell. A major fault. The Forestry Forum is probably the only thing I have stuck with.Carving, painting, woodburning, writing, what ever. I have some success, and I say okay, enough of that, on to something else. Drives my wife mad. :)

Dave, yes, as well as some spider gauges.

beenthere

TomG
Check with Alissa of Axe Women
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=profile;u=19827

She would likely know good brands and where to get a "two-man" crosscut as they are used in the competition she and her "girls" enter.

Many used crosscut saws have been sharpened wrong such that the cutters are lower than the rakers. Makes for real hard sawing. When right, the saw chips just fly.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rick f

664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

furltech

I would say the best crosscut saw would be one i did not have to cut wood with  8)

Jeff

Quote from: beenthere on January 19, 2015, 12:17:19 PM
TomG
Check with Alissa of Axe Women
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=profile;u=19827

She would likely know good brands and where to get a "two-man" crosscut as they are used in the competition she and her "girls" enter.

Highly unlikely. Alissa's saws are specialized race saws. Worlds away from a working two man saw.

Ed_K

Get your lumber hand crosscut saw and sharpen it, if it cuts when your done you'll do good with a 2 man. Hand saw is cheap so if you find it a pain it won't be a lot of money. I've seen used 2 man saws at the engine show for a $100.  :o .
Ed K

beenthere

QuoteHighly unlikely. Alissa's saws are specialized race saws.

Seems I remember her saying that others in the competitions used 2-man crosscuts.
Knew she didn't, but thinking she may know from association. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Her competition uses race saws to, or they would be no competition. ;)

TomG

Here is one on Amazon. Gets decent reviews from a few people, assuming they are valid reviews. Any opinions on it? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0033B81TU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=30TGUKXJQZUM6&coliid=I1U86PB5887C37

Jeff

I'd suggest checking out the crosscut saw company. I'd say the saw on amazon is crap, simply by the cheap way the handles are applied.

Dave Shepard

A two man crosscut will be faster than a bow saw. I saw a bow saw compete with a 50 cc chainsaw at a competition, and the two man crosscut could go through an 8"x8" in three pulls. I realize that is competition, but the capability of a properly tuned crosscut is pretty amazing.

TomG

Here is a link with seemingly decent info: http://www.fine-tools.com/onemansaw.html

That link discusses the one on Amazon (Putsch) and a Lynx brand saw. I am finding that the Putsch and Lynx seem to be the most common ones made today. Any idea what "Peg Tooth 1 TPI pattern" for the teeth means? The link above claims the saws are "easy" to sharpen, right.

hacknchop

I suggest that you speak with someone in the amish or menonite community as they continue to use these and have a good knowledge as to keeping them sharp.
Often wrong never indoubt

TomG

Dave, that's the ideal. Starting to seem more doable. This one from Crosscut looks very good: http://crosscutsaw.com/wp/product/two-man-tuttle-tooth-saws/

hacknchop, I am going to ask around if anyone knows about them.

Thank You Sponsors!