iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whataya think of my logo?

Started by music_boy, August 20, 2004, 07:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

music_boy

To try and keep my wife interested in my adventures, I asked her what would be a good name for my business and to put on business cards. I had previously told her that it was portable,,,I wouldgo to their site to saw their logs. Pretty quick she said, "Call it Milling Around."  She didn't realize the dual meaning of her phrase. I liked it ;D I shortened it to Millin, used a drawing that I think Ron put up on a Qsaw thread, and there it is. ;D  I do my own business cards, and plan on getting some magnetic signs for my pick-up.  Nothing like diving in with both feet and a loan :D :D :D :D :D :D
Rick
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

WoodChucker

I like it, it looks great. She has a gift, and no, I don't mean you.  :D

R.T.
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

beenthere

Looks good, and 'millin' can take on a lot of meanings.  Good depiction of quartersawing in the NE quarter.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dugsaws

I like it alot, nice pic for a buisness card 8)
Doug

Ron Wenrich

Just make sure that you have the name registered.  If you are using a ficticious name, many states require that you have it registered.  It usually doesn't cost that much.

You might find out that another service has that name registered.  It might not even be anything dealing with sawmills.  If it is registered and you do business under the name, you can get in quite a bit of trouble.  

Other than that, it looks good.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

music_boy

Thanks ya'll
       Got the forms to register the name and I hope it ain't taken. That  would bum me out :( :( :( :(Then I'll, I mean my wife will have to come up with another one :D :D
Rcik
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

woodhaven

How did you get the name music_boy?
Richard

music_boy

Woodhaven
     Well,,,,,,,,,,,I play guitar and mandolin. I got into this whole wood thing because I wanted to make my own instruments. Then,,,,,,, I decided I wanted to use only North American woods to build them. Then,,,,,,,,I discovered few to nobody processes instrument woods that I was interested in ...Exactly........ Osage Orange. Then...........I decided to mill it myself. The rest is history . I figured my "handle" should reflect my interests in woodworking\milling. I hope it worked.
       Oh yeah,,,,,,,,,the name Bill Monroe and Ralph Stanley,, was already taken  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Rick Monroe
Rick Stanley
aaahhh just don't sound right

Gilman

Music Boy,
Have you made any instruments?  If so, you have any photos?  Would love to see what you've done.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Larry

Music_Boy, I have always been interested in "musical instrument woods" especially since I found out the price starts about double of FAS and continues into the stratosphere.  Is there some kind of grading association like the NHLA for instrument woods?  I have tried to learn more but at this point I am a little stumped.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

woodhaven

That was what I figured but had to ask. I to have played guitar all my life. I have about 6 around now. Never built my own though. My favorite is my 1968 Gibson ES 335. Its in the same condition now as it was when I bought it. Its worth about 6 times what I payed in '68. I have recently bought a yahmaha 12 string and love it.
Richard

beenthere

Larry
A lot has been written about wood for music instruments, and 'measuring' it usually settles down to finding out the modulus of elasticity (MOE).  MOE can be determined by measuring the speed of sound in wood.

Searching on "Modulus of elasticity" guitar wood came up with an interesting paper, along with others, that may help your curiosity.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/strings/scienceart.htm
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Larry

Thanks beenthere.  That link helps my understanding a lot.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

music_boy

WH
     I playedx upright bass in 5th and 6th grade, then switched to tenor sax in high school.(didn't have a string band)  Bout the time I wanted to play ina band, Jimi Hendrix was the hot lick and as you may recall, he didn't have a sax in his band. :D :DSo, i grew my hair long and sold the sax, and bought a 12 string guitar.(which I still have) Tried to learn a few tunes and pick up women on campus.  ;D I was better at growing my hair long :D :D
     Got the bluegrass bug about 2 years ago and that started me in the direction of building my own. I have 2 12 strings, the second is a 1959 Harmony that I picked up on e-bay. Little piece of history and it needs a neck reset. Ihave a Fender 6, Gretch 6, and just purchased a Gibson J100,,Jumbo 6. I have an old Harmony Mandolin, a Austin I bought new, and lucked into a 1941 Gibson, made in Kalamazoo. Found it in an antiques shop in MI. Out there for a nieces wedding. Got the Gibson for 350.00. Plays so so but sounds great. Nice chop.
Working on a 6 string kit I bought from stew Mac. Body is done and neck is ready for the fretboard. Getting ready to drill for the pearl dots, then the fret wire.
Rick

woodhaven

You don't see names like Jimi Hendrix anymore. I thought I was a rare person for even knowing who he was. A lot of people don't know that he was one of the greatest during that time. I mean that guy could really play. These days I am more a Bob Dillon and Eric Clapton person. Both of these guys have a lot of old stuff that really sounds good on a 12 string. I don't play my 6 strings much anymore after getting that 12 string. It sounds like there are several people playing rather than just me. I also sold my big Fender amp and now only have a Peavey with 4-12's in it. It makes plenty on noise. The 12 string has a built in pickup, add a little echo and it is really nice.
Make sure to post pictures when you can. I would love to see it.
Richard

Gilman

I was thinking about getting the open back banjo kit from Grizzly.  It's only $160.00 and I think it would let me know if I wanted to make a banjo from scratch.  I don't think I'd like to make all of those jigs just to decide, "nope, this aint for me."
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Buzz-sawyer

gilman
I am not sure what you mean by all the jigs..main thing is a thin strip of ash to make the ring and the neck is simple.....
I have dimensional plans for building a banjo from scratch (several designs and patterns) they are all open back historic banjos, I got a LOT of info on homemade banjo makin on the net........really all the parts are cheap or free and I might be able to hook you up with a coon or groundhog hide for the head 8)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

music_boy

Buzzsawyer,
       You familiar with what the male coons?#%^^&* thinger is used for????(on a guitar I mean )
       :D
Bluegrass buddy of mine uses 'em to hold the strings in the bridge. String pegs :D :D
What theyt used to and I guess still do.
Rick

music_boy

Gilman,
     check out the kits from Stewart Macdonald
 http://stewmac.com/
their kits are excellent, especially for first timers. They provide most everything you need.
Rick

Fla._Deadheader

Used to get my supplies from International Luthiers Supply, in Oklahama. Good selection of wood and some kits, but, mostly parts. Don't know if they are still in business ???

I gotta take some pics of the Banjo's we made, both open back and resonator back. Made 2 sizes, small and full size. Used Groundhog, and plastic drum heads. Used Steel and Gut strings for the Mountain style- fretless. ;D  Think I posted a pic of the ½ size Fiddles we made.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

music_boy

FD
     They are still in business. Look like a good group to deal with. Their kits appeared less complete than Stew Macs at a greater price. I think LS caterers to a more experienced level is all. Quality appears the same from my research. I know I have used SM tech support with outstanding results. Can't say about LS simply because I have not used them. Maybe someone who has will chime in for them.
Rick

rebocardo

I like it, though I have a suggestion to cater to the confused, clueless, or non-wood worker type.

I would move the Mobile Log Sawing Service outside of the log so it is easier to read. Curve it around the log. Put the Mobile under the A and the "Log Sawing Service" curved around the bottom of the log.

That way your business "Log Sawing Service" stands out and is easy to recognise by people that might not know about sawing and the "mobile" by itself at the top would be easy for people to recognise as "you come to them".

Many people have heard of mobile windshield repair and might wonder what a "mobile log" is suppose to be.

My $0.02, less counting inflation.

logman

You can check your name on Maryland's web site.  I just
looked up my own for kicks (Delmarva TimberWorks).
If you can't find where it is on their site let me know and
I'll see if I can find it again.
LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

music_boy

Logman
     Thanks, I found your trade name but the one I want to use has not been taken 8) Guess I'll send in the paperwork asap.
Rick

Thank You Sponsors!