iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pulling wood

Started by Peter Drouin, January 18, 2015, 04:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

Had a logger pulled some firewood for me. Do you guys think there's 10 cords there or more?

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Gearbox

Cut it up and pile it and you will find out . Load it and weigh it . Any thing else is a guess at best . Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

David-L

For reference,  I have a Timberjack 225 and have seven choker rings and pull a cord at a time if they are all full and the wood is an average of around 8 to 10 " in dia. not an exact science but it is close as two hitches fills my grapple trailer which is two cords. Count how many trees on the landing and average out the size and you will have an idea. Good luck
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

snowstorm

the old rule of thumb was 10   10" trees to a cd

David-L

Snowstorm, would you say that round wood that is split gains in volume around 30% when stacked. a logger could then say to the landowner you have 10 cords when there is only seven or so on the deck of round wood.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

thecfarm

snowstorm,I never knew that or heard of that. Thank you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Quote from: snowstorm on January 18, 2015, 04:59:10 PM
the old rule of thumb was 10   10" trees to a cd
Would depend on species you are cutting, the height of these trees, and if the 10" is dbh...  I'd think.

Pulled some ash trees up and piled for spring splitting, and just guessing 2½-3 cords.

This was with the 32 hp Deere one log at a time.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

snowstorm

Quote from: thecfarm on January 18, 2015, 05:08:28 PM
snowstorm,I never knew that or heard of that. Thank you.
somewhere i have an old log rule that had that printed on it

coxy

you guys are crazy :o  ;D  for cutting some of them up for fire wood

dustintheblood

Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

Peter Drouin

Quote from: coxy on January 18, 2015, 06:02:54 PM

There is some nice oak and maple in there that won't be firewood. :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

thecfarm

dustintheblood,that chart will help me too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lopet

Quote from: Peter Drouin on January 18, 2015, 04:42:32 PM
Do you guys think there's 10 cords there or more?

It more looks like seven or eight to me, but hard to judge just from the pictures.
Once it's cut and split and stacked you will know for sure.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

YoungStump

Quote from: Peter Drouin on January 18, 2015, 06:57:56 PM
Quote from: coxy on January 18, 2015, 06:02:54 PM

There is some nice oak and maple in there that won't be firewood. :D :D

Good! I'll sleep better now.  :D
Echo Enterprises 45HD2 production series band mill, Cook's Edger, sawing mostly pallet cants, rr ties, and grade lumber.

JoeB

Howdy, gotta' agree w/ Lopet
i'm just saying.

loggah

That stuff is straight and tall,i'll say its 10 cords or better.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

78NHTFY

Peter D.--is that your dump truck? Did a double take/ran to check my barn: looks identical to the one I just got & parked in my barn :D :D :D.  Is it GMC or Chevy?  On topic, I'll guess 12 cord.  How many cord can one fit into that 1 ton dump?  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

Peter Drouin

Quote from: 78NHTFY on January 19, 2015, 11:17:25 AM
Peter D.--is that your dump truck? Did a double take/ran to check my barn: looks identical to the one I just got & parked in my barn :D :D :D.  Is it GMC or Chevy?  On topic, I'll guess 12 cord.  How many cord can one fit into that 1 ton dump?  All the best, Rob.

A GMC. I only put in 1 cord. I'm going to cut the wood 10' and load it with the JD to bring it home. The butts will be 18' put on a trailer.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

FarmingSawyer

Big Red and I have been getting some firewood out this week.....only trouble is we keep finding saw logs!!

Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

samandothers

Peter
Will be interesting to see how much there is there.  Seems to 10 10" to make cord is quick and easy.  But if I read the table correct from UNH 5 10" would make a cord.   

Good post.

hacknchop

Nice to see Im not the only one pulling firewood.At least the trails are froze hard now.
Often wrong never indoubt

toploader Ford

I have this handy dandy firewood calculator from the forest service. Lets say those logs are 10" diameter with a length of 60 feet to a 4" top.  This calculator says there .25 of a cord. So, 4 trees to a cord.  ???

Peter Drouin

This weekend I'm going to try to get it all home. Going to fill the 1 ton with help from John. One cord to a load.

Last years pic  ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

Big snow, Maybe :D :D :D
Two days , Load after load 8)

Is this a cord? :D :D :D :D

the stick 10'
All an all 11 cords. Now to cut and split it. But, I have a guy that will cut and split it for $50.00 a cord.
My spliter and my gas & oil His saw. What do ya think. :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

loggah

It depends how long you cut it!!! 2' goes pretty fast 16" takes quite a bit more time,gas and oil . ;D trade him some  lumber. Glad i haven't lost my touch,i said 10 cords or a bit better. ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Thank You Sponsors!