iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A little extra weight...

Started by terrifictimbersllc, January 18, 2015, 03:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

A little extra weight for clamping bowed boards.   Set the head on a 4x4 until the board is flat, then clamp it.  Safer than having the customer standing on the mill.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Ga Mtn Man

Now that is a great tip.  Beats having the customer stand on the cant. :laugh:
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

4x4American

Great idea, thanks for sharing!
Boy, back in my day..

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Good idea TT. My wife will like this.  ::)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WV Sawmiller

TT,

Thanks for the tip. I'm still learning on my new mill and ran into the issue this afternoon just trying to saw up some stickers at the end of the job. This would have solved the problem I was having. 'preciate the idea.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

red oaks lumber

resawing some air dried lumber are ya? the only part i don't like about that trick,it puts undo stress on your sawhead assembly which might cause sawing issues later :)
i'm always part of the downer crowd :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

WV Sawmiller

TT,

As a follow up - how do you clamp the lumber when the head is run forward and down? Thinking more about it my mill has a safety feature such that I can't use the hydraulics (including the clamp) unless the head is at the front of the mill. Does your mill not have this same feature or is mine a more recent addition?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

terrifictimbersllc

WV, I took off the strip and rigged 1/0 cables through the cat track from the hydraulics to the head, as others have done.   "Hydraulics anywhere" modification.

ROL, I sure wouldn't do it if there was something that might get damaged. But  I don't see what I'd be stressing, the 4x4 is butting against the board return which in turn is pressed against the heavy frame of the head.  Just enough to flatten out the bow which probably would need about 200-300 pounds in some cases, the head being about 1000 pounds.   But maybe there's something I'm not considering, please let me know.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

4x4American

It's a heavy duty mill I say run it
Boy, back in my day..

red oaks lumber

mill heads are designed to go up and down, any forced pressure going either direction will put undo stresses on the whole assembly which over time will present problems. :)

terrifictimbersllc

OK, thanks, don't want that for sure.

Dave Shepard

I wouldn't worry about that at all. Part of the inspection procedure of the mast track bearings is to put something under the right hand side of the head and take the pressure off. There isn't anything that is going to be stressed by doing that. There are mast pads on both sides of the mast, and at most you would be bottoming out the stops on the bottom near the track rollers, which is no problem as long as you aren't dragging them down the track, which of course you aren't.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 19, 2015, 11:33:24 AM
I wouldn't worry about that at all. Part of the inspection procedure of the mast track bearings is to put something under the right hand side of the head and take the pressure off. There isn't anything that is going to be stressed by doing that. There are mast pads on both sides of the mast, and at most you would be bottoming out the stops on the bottom near the track rollers, which is no problem as long as you aren't dragging them down the track, which of course you aren't.
Did seem to remember seeing a procedure involving taking the weight off of the head other than chaining it to the cross brace at top of the mast.

red oaks lumber

your probably ok,for me i use my equipment differantly :)

4x4American

Run it bud!
These mills were designed for burly men, not girly men.
Boy, back in my day..

red oaks lumber

taking the weight off is completly differant than forcing pressure down with it :) girly or manley dosen't belong here :(

terrifictimbersllc

It would be just the weight, the head is not being driven down.  Some weight from the head is transferred to the bed via the 4x4, and some remains on the chain.  Only thing that could possibly matter is if it torques the bottom via the bearings, somehow, or pushes at the top against the mast, via the pads, at an angle that wouldn't otherwise occur.  If I do it again I'll make sure to only transfer some weight, and then go have a look to see if the up-down chain is still tight above the head, and whether anything's going on at top and bottom. I appreciate the caution.  maybe think of some other ways it's just that this one is so easy.

Dave Shepard

rol, I wasn't advocating putting down pressure on it, just using some of the thousand or so pounds of the head weight. I agree, pushing down would not be desirable.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

red oaks lumber

i think thats a fine line between free weight and forced :) i gotta say it's a clever idea!

Brucer

The carriage on a WM is held horizontal by only two sets of rollers. One set on the outside of the top rail, and one set on the inside of the bottom rail. If you lift the outside of the sawhead a little the horizontal rollers shift away from the track. No harm is done. In fact, this is exactly what happens when you lower the head onto the travel stop.

If you lift the outside of the sawhead too high, there's a set of stop blocks opposite the horizontal rollers that will contact the rail to prevent the head from moving too far away from the rails. Until these stops make contact, you aren't able to pull the head down with the up/down motor.

Your fine line is defined by the gap between the rail and the stop blocks -- about 1/32" if adjusted correctly. There are two gaps (top rail and bottom rail) so you have a total amount of movement of about 1/16" over a distance of 9" (center to center distance of the top and bottom rails).

With a heavy engine, you will probably press your board flat long before the horizontal rollers start to move away from the rails.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

terrifictimbersllc

I think there is a damage that could be done, if the up/down motor is still driving down past the point that the head weight is off the chain.  At that point the lower part of the chain would tighten and pull up on its mount at the bottom.  Too tight and it might bend  that bracket.  This can happen if the head were set on the block with Accuset auto down or set to bed modes.  Same reason which leads to unintentionally setting the band on the wood in these modes.  Would guess that the breaker won't trip till well over the force of the usual head weight is reached.

4x4American

I didn't even think about putting down psi on it, because you can't do that on my mill.  If you can put down psi on your mill I wouldn't do that, just the weight of the head is all.  On my mill it is hung by sprockets/chains.  The weight of the head brings it down.
Boy, back in my day..

5quarter

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on January 18, 2015, 08:07:21 PM
Just enough to flatten out the bow which probably would need about 200-300 pounds...

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 18, 2015, 05:40:35 PM
Good idea TT. My wife will like this. 

;D ;D ;)

What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: 5quarter on January 20, 2015, 08:51:46 AM
Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on January 18, 2015, 08:07:21 PM
Just enough to flatten out the bow which probably would need about 200-300 pounds...

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 18, 2015, 05:40:35 PM
Good idea TT. My wife will like this. 

;D ;D ;)
Probably need 2-3 wives for some boards.  ::)

Thank You Sponsors!