iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First time trying butterfly joints (I cheated)

Started by hackberry jake, January 17, 2015, 05:44:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

beenthere

smiley_thumbsup

That is cool.  Looks great. Opens up a whole new horizon for specialty products.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

That slab has eyes with band-aids on its arms.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Larry

That bottom one is a girl...I can tell by the bows in her hair.

I think its cool. 8) 8) 8) 8)  Is it going to be a table?  Maybe artwork...Washington Regional Hospital has a bunch of wood art on the walls and that would fit right in. :)

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Larry on January 17, 2015, 08:49:53 PM
That bottom one is a girl...I can tell by the bows in her hair.

You sly 'ol Dog....."Bows in her Hair"...... :D :D :D :D :D :D You ain't fooling me.  :D :D :D :D :D :D

Hilltop366

hackberry jake

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

What a great piece.  What are you going to do with it?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Holmes

Think like a farmer.

isawlogs

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

hackberry jake

Quote from: WDH on January 18, 2015, 07:29:52 AM
What a great piece.  What are you going to do with it?
I think I am going to build some pipe legs for it and make it a coffee table. Similar to this one

POSTON WIDEHEAD

mesquite buckeye

I'm assuming those pipes are made from hackberry. ::) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

WDH

Is that a goat skin in the background  ???. 

Larry

Its no problem cause its a dead goat skin. :)

The problem with tables that have four legs is one out of the bunch is always shorter than the rest and makes trouble.  With pipe its an easy adjustment...just a little twist.  Good thinking Hack. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on January 18, 2015, 08:34:54 PM
Is that a goat skin in the background  ???.

:D :D :D :D I left my jacket when I went by Hack's to see if he'd take $300.00 for his Butterfly Man......he wouldn't.  >:(

WDH

hackberry jake

Andries

Poston went to Hackberry's place?
Like, 900 miles of "dropped by" ? ?
Price of gas is dropping fast out there, or there's many many $300 highly valuable slabs being sold!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Andries

We cheated too . . .

. . . .  we used a router.  :D
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Andries

. . . . and a jointer.

I'm thinking Hackberry's way is faster.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

hackberry jake

MMMM... Old American made jointer... MMMM Fay and Egan?

yukon cornelius

That's awesome! I have wanted to try butterflies for a while.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Andries

Quote from: hackberry jake on January 19, 2015, 10:32:53 PM
MMMM... Old American made jointer... MMMM Fay and Egan?
Close HJ - it's a Yates 199. Babbit bearings and 12" wide - all 2000 lbs of her.

Good for smoothing off slabs - butterflies included.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

kevin19343

hackberry jake

Finally got around to finishing it.

The second picture looks like the table top is bowed, but it's straight. I guess it's the camera on my phone. I poured epoxy in the cracks and it looks like two rivers with bridges crossing them.

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Larry

WDH

gfadvm

That table top turned out absolutely spectacular!

Hilltop366

yukon cornelius

It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Just Me

Hackleberry

I cut my butterflys by hand in a bench vise with a slight taper, two layers of tape worth, and then when you tap them in they fit like a cork. It would not be a big deal to have a straight bit ground a bit bigger on the bottom so you could do the same thing with a CNC. That would eliminate the glue line.

I wish I had a CNC. You have a lot of nice tools to play with.......

Larry

WDH

jueston

it looks great. i really like the way the Epoxy turned out.

Inlays on the CNC are often done in the method Larry described, they cut both parts with a V-cutter and then the glue line is pretty much invisible. since your butterflys actually hold something together the V-inlay wouldn't work very well, but you can buy bits with a 1 or 2 degree angle just like he suggested.

scsmith42

Well done Jake!  I like your "cheater" too...
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Hemlock1984

Thank You Sponsors!