iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging liability insurance

Started by Lumberjohn, January 16, 2015, 09:33:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumberjohn

I have 20 yrs experience logging, but its been 15 yrs since I last cut any timber. I have called around, and the 1st question is; When was the last time you did timber? Who is your auto insurer? (which by the way, never got back to me yet, its been awhile?)

I can understand the little bit of history needed, but it wasnt nearly that hard to get 20-30 years ago. Any input on what I can do or am doing wrong?

Meanwhile I will be waiting for 3 or 4 insurance companies to call back. Im thinking they wont touch me or its going to be one heck of a price. I am from PA and will be a 1 man crew, skidder and chainsaws.

ga jones

I'm in pa. Never had any questions asked. No problem. 500.00 a year for half a million in coverage. White pine ins.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

jocco

Deal with a company that handles logging directly. Stay away from home and auto outfits they contract it to another outfit. Get an agent that knows and writes logging. Its the same for boats, farms or any other special need. :)
You may check out but you will never leave

Ed_K

Get ahold of W J Cox their main office is in Pa. They logging and will treat you better than a auto ins.
Ed K

coxy

wj cox does not do logging ins any more they send you to a different co  my dad had it over 30years with them and no claims the other co was double  callicoon co op is cheap there in callicoon ny don't have there # off hand and there ins on skidders and dozers is cheap also    let us know where you get it  please       coxy      that's another thing when we gave the ins to the lo and saw we had the same last name they would ask a lot of questions  :D ;D

Lumberjohn

Im dealing with an agent now. He said there were a couple other loggers through him. He hasnt got back to me yet. I guess he checks around to find any takers?

Another agent called me back and said about pro liability insurance 1500-2500 a yr/ballpark quote and general liability insurance would be cheaper, anyone know the difference?, I will ask them when I decide which broker I am going through.
Thanks to all for responding and I will keep in mind what you said.

I think the reason the one wanted to know my auto insurance co was to get a little history on me since my logging days were so long ago.. My auto insurer didnt want to deal with it.

I did some internet checking and didnt see anything strictly for logging, at least in my neck of the woods.

coxy

another thing you have to watch for is they put you in the products completed section that means sawing the lumber witch some don't but that also makes it higher

thenorthman

I'm on the other coast, but through WCLA (loggers.com) with 1,000,000 liability and a 20,000 bond its like 1200 a year or so, hand falling, line skidding. Bond is not stictly necessary but some folks like to see it.

WCLA is pretty good folks out here...
well that didn't work

CX3

There are several companies that provide insurance in my Southern Loggin magazine.  If interested pm me and I could give a few numbers from them. 

I got mine through Naught Naught Agency for 1000/yr
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

ilog4u2

Lumberjohn, It seems as we are operating our company's the same. I also work alone with a skidder and an iron mule. 2 chainsaws. I choose not to have liability insurance, I don't take jobs where there is risk of damaging anyone's property...cars ,houses, power lines etc. I've always had a hard time handing over my hard earned money for NOTHING,

Lumberjohn

There is very little risk on this job. Im behind gates, the line is marked perfectly, and it is my option to cut whatever I want along the road/line frontage, in other words, I dont have to pull or wedge trees I deem a risk.
But...... the landowner demands it- its not so much the "getting it" but "the hassle" so far from insurance companies.

cutter88

I carry 5 million liability plus insure my skidder, skid steer and skidder and it's 260 a month
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

Spartan

I use RPS Transwestern also called Nautilus.  small company and their communication sucks, but I had to go to a few agencies to find one.  600K for $590 a year.
I just have timber falling and no personal equipment insured.  It goes up quite a bit for the personal property. 

Lumberjohn

Thanks everyone, I had a quote that sounded terrific. Im going to go there this week to read some of it and see if it makes any sense or is for sure what I need.
I am not insuring any equipment at the moment. If everything works out I will be logging shortly!

CX3

Lumberjohn, check your pm I sent you several business numbers out of the magazine.  Sorry about not doing it sooner.
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

ga jones

Insuring the equipment is even cheaper. It's done through a farm and ag insure. Mine is 350.00 a year for 45,000 on two machines.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

Thank You Sponsors!