iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Weekend Getting Logs

Started by kelLOGg, January 16, 2015, 06:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

A friend had a dead redoak which the city cut into 6 logs from 8 to 12 feet long and piled them up by the road. Diameters were 24 to 36 inches. It took 4 trips last weekend to get them home because I can safely haul 3000 lbs on the trailer and was probably a few hundred lbs over at times. After the last trip a week of rain/ice set in. Enjoy the pics; I surely enjoyed getting them home.
Bob

Parbuckling the 1st log

Happy owner

Breaking the remaining pile apart

Loading a nice clear straight one

Tied down and ready to travel

Pulling last log off with the mill loader/turner winch

Lined up and ready for nice weather to saw

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

47sawdust

Bob,
Nice job,especially like the way you secured your load.
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

AnthonyW

Nice photos kelLOGg! That is almost exactly the type of trailer and design I'm looking for. Problem is up here they mandate (and ticket for the lack thereof) fenders on the trailer. I am tempted to go hydraulic for loading, but a wench/parbuckling is has not been rules out.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

terrifictimbersllc

Nice pictures, enjoyed seeing your logging job.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Ga Mtn Man

I really like your log-fetching setup Bob.  Nice whack of red oak.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

drobertson

Dandy logs! nice job on the recovery, those should make a good whack of lumber! 8)
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Jemclimber

Quote from: AnthonyW on January 16, 2015, 08:01:16 AM
Nice photos kelLOGg! That is almost exactly the type of trailer and design I'm looking for. Problem is up here they mandate (and ticket for the lack thereof) fenders on the trailer.

Nice load of logs and nice trailer. I really like all the pockets on it and the way it looks like a great trailer for parbuckling.  I too was curious about the lack of fenders and if it is legal or not.
lt15

78NHTFY

Nice pictorial!  But why are you waiting for the weather to saw?  Being from NH sure looks good to me :D :D All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

jaygtree

nice. chain binders and ratchet straps. great pics.  thanks.  jayg
i thought i was wrong once but i wasn't.   atv, log arch, chainsaw and ez boardwalk jr.

hackberry jake

It looks like the logs are checking already. I think I remember that there is some kind of infection that gets into oak that causes extreme checking. You will probably want to seal the ends pretty soon.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

kelLOGg

Nice photos kelLOGg! That is almost exactly the type of trailer and design I'm looking for. Problem is up here they mandate (and ticket for the lack thereof) fenders on the trailer. I am tempted to go hydraulic for loading, but a wench/parbuckling is has not been rules out.
Hydraulic loading on a trailer would be interesting. Would it be arms like a WM? Parbuckling has an advantage of a long reach to get a log: just keep adding more chain.
Bob
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

kelLOGg

Nice load of logs and nice trailer. I really like all the pockets on it and the way it looks like a great trailer for parbuckling.  I too was curious about the lack of fenders and if it is legal or not.
[/quote]

Not sure if it is legal in NC or not - not asking now. Adding fenders would certainly complicate parbuckling.

I put a lot of thought into the pockets for the strap binder - the other pockets came with the trailer. It had MH axles but I changed them out and generally beefed it up.
Bob

kelLOGg

Quote from: hackberry jake on January 16, 2015, 01:45:59 PM
It looks like the logs are checking already. I think I remember that there is some kind of infection that gets into oak that causes extreme checking. You will probably want to seal the ends pretty soon.

The logs had been waiting for several months before I got them. Should i seal them at this late date? They are the customer's logs and I don't think he cares. They will be QSawn except for the knotty one.
Bob

4x4American

it would be cool to fix up some sort of log loader arms onto a trailer like they have on our portable sawmills.  it could double as a clamp to secure the logs, but still chain em down.  You could fix up a removable fender, if the fender is in your way.
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Great trailer setup and a proper job of securing the load.  Nothing to worry about them going anywhere.  Do you have a seperate battery for the winch?
Boy, back in my day..

xlogger

Hi Bob, is that one of thousand red oaks that they planted years ago along the streets in town? Several are falling over with storms, going rotten, etc. The city does not have enough money in the forestry dept. to take care of all that they need cutting I understand. They planted those trees between the streets and side walk, now they know someone made a mistake years ago. You know most of the trees had yard signs tack on them over the years. Have extra blades ready.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

hackberry jake

Quote from: kelLOGg on January 16, 2015, 05:07:31 PM
Quote from: hackberry jake on January 16, 2015, 01:45:59 PM

The logs had been waiting for several months before I got them. Should i seal them at this late date? They are the customer's logs and I don't think he cares. They will be QSawn except for the knotty one.
Bob
probably not worth worrying about it then. Just lose 6-8" on each end of the boards.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

kelLOGg

Quote from: 4x4American on January 16, 2015, 06:06:25 PM
Do you have a seperate battery for the winch?

Yes, it is a big one. I keep a BatteryMinder on it when not in use.

kelLOGg

Quote from: xlogger on January 16, 2015, 06:26:09 PM
Hi Bob, is that one of thousand red oaks that they planted years ago along the streets in town? Several are falling over with storms, going rotten, etc. The city does not have enough money in the forestry dept. to take care of all that they need cutting I understand. They planted those trees between the streets and side walk, now they know someone made a mistake years ago. You know most of the trees had yard signs tack on them over the years. Have extra blades ready.

Yes, Ricky. My friend knows the county forester and they lament the lack of sawyers to process all the trees dying of natural causes.  The trees were all planted ~85 years ago and far too many end up in the landfill. We'll see how lucky I am with tramp metal.
Bob

4x4American

Quote from: kelLOGg on January 16, 2015, 07:31:13 PM
Quote from: 4x4American on January 16, 2015, 06:06:25 PM
Do you have a seperate battery for the winch?

Yes, it is a big one. I keep a BatteryMinder on it when not in use.

Good deal.  deep cycle marine one? 

Quote from: kelLOGg on January 16, 2015, 07:36:00 PM
Quote from: xlogger on January 16, 2015, 06:26:09 PM

Yes, Ricky. My friend knows the county forester and they lament the lack of sawyers to process all the trees dying of natural causes.  The trees were all planted ~85 years ago and far too many end up in the landfill. We'll see how lucky I am with tramp metal.
Bob

Should have a FF get together to come help process.
Boy, back in my day..

fat olde elf

Thanks for the heads up on this posting.... Nice trailer and tie-downs. Good work Robert !!
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

dean herring

May not be getting logs but me and my 6 yr. old grandson are working on mill site so we can start . We have to move around some small ones mostly firewood. As long as he gets to be on the tractor he is happy. Got a ways to go but enjoying the time working on it and spending time OUTSIDE with my little buddy. Have a blessed day Dean 3D Lumber
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

Thank You Sponsors!