iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mortiser lube

Started by danreed76, January 15, 2015, 02:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danreed76

What do y'all typically use for chain mortiser lubricant?  The little nameless bottle that came with my mortiser is now empty.... the manual says to lube regularly.... the oil is no longer available from Makita.  I tried bar and chain oil, but it seemed to make a lot of debris stick to the chain.

I had looked at the "Swiss Pro" chain fitness spray, but it seems kind of pricey (that being said, chains aren't cheap).  I was thinking about a teflon or silicone based dry-film spray, maybe even good ol' rem-oil from the gun cabinet.  Any thoughts?

-Dan

Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

submarinesailor

I would use this from AMSOIL:  http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/other-products/cleaners-and-protectants/heavy-duty-metal-protector/ .  One of its primary purposes is for lubing motorcycle chains.  Used it successfully in many other applications but never on a chain.  I would spray it on the night or several hours before using it, allowing it to dry.

Yes, I'm a dealer.  But I don't sale to anyone but myself.

Bruce

danreed76

Bruce:

Thanks!  I'll have to give my dad a shout... he's been trying to get me on Amsoil for a while; problem is he says not to put it in anything that leaks.  I guess as an old a-ganger I should be used to wiping up oil!

Dan
Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

logman

I'll bet that "a ganger" remark has a few people scratching their heads.  I was an a ganger and also main prop in the CG.  I use chain lube from WalMart on my chain.  I spray it on before I put it away.
LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

maineframer

"Summer" bar and chain oil & silicone spray lube.

David

Brian_Weekley

What are people using to lubricate the gears on their manual boring machines?
e aho laula

danreed76

Quote from: Brian_Weekley on January 17, 2015, 08:25:56 PM
What are people using to lubricate the gears on their manual boring machines?

Brian:
Not sure it's the "right" thing to do, but I put a bit of regular EP-2 grease on the gears, and a drop of 90W on all the bushing/shaft interfaces.  I thought about using some "00" gear grease, but just a light touch of the EP-2 seems to stay on there quite well.  Just a dab of it with my finger, then turn the handles a few times and the grease is pretty well distributed.

Dan

bushhog920

Hey Dan did you ever get the chain sharpened? If so how did you do it.

vtframer

I also have the Makita mortiser and my lube is almost gone...also was wondering about how to get the chain sharpened when that's needed.

vtframer

Quote from: logman on January 15, 2015, 09:49:17 PM
I'll bet that "a ganger" remark has a few people scratching their heads.  I was an a ganger and also main prop in the CG.  I use chain lube from WalMart on my chain.  I spray it on before I put it away.

I was the 1stLT. on an Oliver Hazard Perry class frigate in the early 2000's...spent a lot of time on sea and anchor in aft steering helping the a-gangers wipe oil...lot of respect for those guys....

danreed76

l...lot of respect for those guys....
[/quote]

And to all that served.

Quote from: bushhog920 on January 20, 2015, 07:59:34 PM
Hey Dan did you ever get the chain sharpened? If so how did you do it.

I sent it off to Superior Carbide in Lewiston, Maine.  Sent it off in a flat rate box and had it back a little over a week later.  I just put it in the box with a check for $26 (20 for sharpening and 6 for return shipping).  I can let you know in a few days how the chain performs.

-Dan

danreed76

Quick update:

Just got the freshly sharpened chain installed on my mortiser today.... It works Great!  They did a great job dressing up the chain, and turnaround was really quick.

Dan

Jim_Rogers

PM me the contact info, please?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!