iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

white oak ?

Started by scleigh, January 15, 2015, 11:45:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scleigh

Sawing what I thought was white oak, but some of the boards are almost pink. Am I wrong, is this red oak is this normal?

Lawg Dawg

I sometimes get some pink white oak too!
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

scleigh

Thanks L.D.   I learn something everytime I start my mill......and when I get on The Forestry Forum.

VT_Forestry

I've had it happen when splitting firewood.  Pink as can be right when it's split, then when it dries it's just regular ole white oak :)
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Sawmill Man

Kind of a stage some of it goes through drying right after it is sawn. Interesting trying to explain that to customers.
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

Dave Shepard

The boards on the right definitely look like white oak. I've had that when sawing timbers. I knew all the logs were white oak on the outside. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The Pink in WHITE OAK is really nice. Its a bacteria that causes it when the air hits it.
I have not been able to keep it Pink, as it dries and the light hits it.....it fades away. 
Unless I'm wrong, I'm thinking the same thing happens in Walnut sometimes. Fresh sawn Walnut sometimes has a green color to hit but also goes way and turns a medium brown color.
Fresh cut Cedar sometimes will have a deep purple when freshly sawn but that color also will change.

These are just the woods I know of that I have witnessed the strange but pretty colors in.

@WDH will know more about this.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

kevin19343

Take a magnifying glass and look at the end grain. Generally speaking white oak has closed pores, red oak has open pores. Thats the reason why white oak is great for outdoor projects and red oak isn't.

WDH

I have had white turn very pink right after sawing, too.  Like the Old Goat says, it does not last.

This white oak turned very pink.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sealark37

As I have related here before, I have seen white oak come off the saw jet black, changing to blood red in just a few minutes, then fading in an hour to pink, and drying nearly as white as cotton.  I don't know why or how.  Regards, Clark

scleigh

Thanks for the replies. I've been wanting to saw this log for a while and finally got the chance today. Once I got the log sawn into a cant, the boards started coming off the mill pink, even the sawdust. I started to question the white oak log that i had stared at for 2 months.

This picture is the same boards about 4 hours after being sawn. I've got the fan on them, guess they'll be white soon enough.

dean herring

Just cut some white and red oak. Going to be a while before I can get them to my buddy to get them milled. Where do I get some anchorseal to seal the ends.
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

Dave Shepard

I got mine directly from UC Coatings. I think it was about $87 for a five gallon pail shipped from Buffalo, NY, to MA. I'd get the Classic, not the Anchorseal2.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Brad_S.

Quote from: scleigh on January 15, 2015, 09:29:08 PM
. I've got the fan on them, guess they'll be white soon enough.
Turn the fan off! You want to dry white oak slow and easy with a minimal breeze. Too much air over WO will cause surface checks that will be permanent.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

YellowHammer

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 19, 2015, 09:57:07 PM
I got mine directly from UC Coatings. I think it was about $87 for a five gallon pail shipped from Buffalo, NY, to MA. I'd get the Classic, not the Anchorseal2.
I order mine directly from UC also.  The quicker the sealer is applied the better.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Mad Professor

Yes, get the sealer from UC coatings.

Seal the logs as soon as you can after bucking, then seal any boards/beams if you trim the ends after milling.

Thank You Sponsors!