iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New member in KY

Started by Coffee_Creek, January 15, 2015, 10:02:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coffee_Creek

Hi, just wanted to introduce myself and say hello, didn't see a "new member" section so I posted here because I plane to buy a mill. Sorry if this is the wrong place.
My wife and I work for a large construction company as superintendents and move around a lot. We currently live in Kentucky but plan to retire in our home state of Alabama in a couple of years and I would love to have a sawmill to cut my own lumber to build a new house, barn and sheds. Currently buying all the toys I can so I will have plenty to play with.
I don't have a mill right now but do plan to buy in the near future.
Thought I would join up and read as much as I can before I buy.

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Coffee_Creek.  Sounds like you have plenty of time to read, ask questions, and actually do a hands-on with different model sawmills.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Coffee_Creek

Don't know about the "plenty" of time, not retired yet, currently working six 10's but I'd love to see a few different ones run before buying. Been looking at Wood-Mizer, Timber King and Cook's. Kinda leaning towards the Cook's today, I change my mind every two days  :D

WmFritz

Welcome C_C.
I recommend not buying anymore 'toys' if your thinking about buying a mill. Once you start filling your pockets with sawdust, you'll be hooked and won't use the other toys anymore.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Coffee_Creek

Thank you sir, by toys I mean Cat D5 dozer and a T300 Bobcat track skid steer. I bet they would be handy to use with a sawmill.

Coffee_Creek

Here's a couple of toys I started with

WmFritz

There you go. Your already on your way to sawing.  :D

By toys, I thought you were talking about that aero plane in your avatar.  ;D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Coffee_Creek

haha, no, that was my last project, took me 3.5 years to build.

Coffee_Creek

Coffee_Creek

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Coffee_Creek.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Coffee_Creek

Thanks Chuck, seems to be a lot of friendly folks here with tons of knowledge, I hope to learn as much as I can.

WV Sawmiller

CC,

Welcome to the forum. I've had my mill a week and am having fun with it. I wish I had some of your toys for support equipment. I am still sorely lacking in that area.

Which part of Alabama are you from or returning to? My wife was from Cullman and we met at Auburn. (If you root for that other school just disregard any inadvertent pleasantries I might have previously issued).
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Coffee_Creek

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 15, 2015, 06:00:57 PM
CC,

Welcome to the forum. I've had my mill a week and am having fun with it. I wish I had some of your toys for support equipment. I am still sorely lacking in that area.

Which part of Alabama are you from or returning to? My wife was from Cullman and we met at Auburn. (If you root for that other school just disregard any inadvertent pleasantries I might have previously issued).

We have a little 45 acre farm in Gadsden, not far from Cullman. ROOOLL TIDE  :D
Thanks for the welcome

thecfarm

Coffee_Creek,welcome to the forum. All such of time to attend shows and see some mills in action.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Coffee_Creek

Quote from: thecfarm on January 15, 2015, 07:37:51 PM
Coffee_Creek,welcome to the forum. All such of time to attend shows and see some mills in action.

Thank you sir, can't wait for a show close enough to attend.

beenthere

CC
Welcome to the forum.

If you post each one of all those pics showing in your gallery and tell us about each one, you are going to be posting for a long time.
But interested in seeing what they are all about. It'll keep you busy.  ;)

smiley_thumbsup
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Coffee_Creek

Quote from: beenthere on January 15, 2015, 08:35:13 PM
CC
Welcome to the forum.

If you post each one of all those pics showing in your gallery and tell us about each one, you are going to be posting for a long time.

smiley_thumbsup

Thanks beenthere but none of us have that much time, my avatar pic alone took over three years to build

dgdrls

Welcome aboard Coffee_Creek.
Great folks here with tons of knowledge
about all kinds of things, not just sawing.

Best
DGDrls

KyTreeFarmer

Welcome to the Forestry Forum neighbor.
Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

jmouton

welcome   coffee  creek
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

timberjackrob

Glad to have you on the forum your not to far from me maybe you could come try out the lt 28 sometime.
208 timberjack, woodmizer lt28,case 455 trackloader with gearmatic winch,massey 4710, ford f250s ford f700

beenthere

Quote from: Coffee_Creek on January 15, 2015, 08:51:50 PM
Quote from: beenthere on January 15, 2015, 08:35:13 PM
CC
Welcome to the forum.

smiley_thumbsup

Thanks beenthere but none of us have that much time, my avatar pic alone took over three years to build

I was thinking about the pic posting rules of the forum when the boss (Jeff) had this to say.
QuoteAlso, I want to address your statement "Upload a bunch of photos"  Any photo that is uploaded must be placed in a post. The gallery is only for storing photos in posts made on the Forestry Forum. You can upload as many as you like, but they must be then used in a post or simply not uploaded.

at
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,80656.msg1226910.html#msg1226910
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Coffee_Creek

Didn't see that, I correct ASAP
Thanks for the info beenthere

Thank You Sponsors!