iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Silly Questions

Started by 4x4American, January 14, 2015, 09:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

Why do people say that a WM head don't gotta be level to the bed to cut accurate lumber?  (And I don't mean accurate by eye...! ::) )  It just doesn't click with me.

Anybody else feel free to ask silly questions in this thread, I figured someone had to start one.
Boy, back in my day..

drobertson

Well,
why do you ask such a silly question, seeing that that is such a silly question? ;D
I mean, someone that would ask that must be pretty silly, or, just plain misinformed on what they are asking.
My way of thinking is why do I keep on doing dumb stuff when I'm supposed to learn after doing dumb stuff not to do dumb stuff anymore ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Evergreen Man

According to my manual (that I just finished reading a couple days ago) the away side of the blade should sit a 16th higher than the drive side because when you make a wide cut the blade will drop on that side. But they still think you should be within a 16th of that :)
I used to think I was crazy, then I realized: I'm the only normal one.

mikeb1079

QuoteWhy do people say that a WM head don't gotta be level to the bed to cut accurate lumber?

thinking maybe this is a reference to the cantilevered head spec about the idler side being 1/8" higher than the inboard side?  my hunch is that this is due to the slight "pull" of the teeth while in the cut resulting in an small drop of the outboard (cantilevered) side? correct me if i'm wrong someone....

oh wait, this was supposed to be sillly questions....hmmm....has anyone ever tried "curried goat?"   :D :D
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Y'all are wasting space IMO.  popcorn_smiley
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

4x4American

Silly me, I asked a silly question in a silly way.  What I meant to ask, is why doesn't the frame have to be leveled side to side to saw accurate lumber?  They put some crude jacks on the WM instead of fine adjust ones, meaning that it don't have to be finely adjusted to saw accurate lumber.  Curious why that is, just don't seem right that the frame can be all cattywampus and saw straight lumber.

I was told that when you level the band to the bed you have the idle side set 1/8" higher than drive side to account for the inertial effect of the band.  That was on a lt40 super.
Boy, back in my day..

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Your presentation is a whole lot better this time.  smiley_thumbsup

4x4American

Must be if a goat can understand it!   ;D
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Quote from: drobertson on January 14, 2015, 09:47:59 PM
Well,
why do you ask such a silly question, seeing that that is such a silly question? ;D
I mean, someone that would ask that must be pretty silly, or, just plain misinformed on what they are asking.
My way of thinking is why do I keep on doing dumb stuff when I'm supposed to learn after doing dumb stuff not to do dumb stuff anymore ;D

I've been asking silly questions all my life 8)
and i dont regret it  ;D
Boy, back in my day..

POSTON WIDEHEAD

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Foxtrapper

Quote from: 4x4American on January 14, 2015, 10:21:56 PM
Silly me, I asked a silly question in a silly way.  What I meant to ask, is why doesn't the frame have to be leveled side to side to saw accurate lumber?  They put some crude jacks on the WM instead of fine adjust ones, meaning that it don't have to be finely adjusted to saw accurate lumber.  Curious why that is, just don't seem right that the frame can be all cattywampus and saw straight lumber.

I was told that when you level the band to the bed you have the idle side set 1/8" higher than drive side to account for the inertial effect of the band.  That was on a lt40 super.

Not sure I can answer this silly question, but i'll try anyways.  The mill doesn't need to be leveled side to side because the head only travels on one rail.  Unlike a four post head that travels on both rails, so it needs to be level side to side to get accurate cuts.. ;D
2014 WoodMizer LT28

Chuck White

The LT40 doesn't need to be level to saw good lumber, just close.

The outriggers need to be snug in order to support the mill and keep it from moving around as the sawhead moves back and forth.

The "Idle Side" of the blade needs to be set 1/16" higher than the "Drive Side", it's all spelled out in the Owner/Operators manual "setup & alignment" section.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Proper sawmill alignment and setup is not silly and "brand" does not matter.  Proper setup is essential for log handling as well as safety.  The only thing silly here is the question.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ga Mtn Man

A four-post mill doesn't need to be level either, just flat. 
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

4x4American

Quote from: Foxtrapper on January 14, 2015, 11:06:53 PM

Not sure I can answer this silly question, but i'll try anyways.  The mill doesn't need to be leveled side to side because the head only travels on one rail.  Unlike a four post head that travels on both rails, so it needs to be level side to side to get accurate cuts.. ;D

Say the idle side is lower by a bit, wouldn't the head be higher than it's 1/8" spec on the idle side then?
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on January 15, 2015, 07:54:08 AM
A four-post mill doesn't need to be level either, just flat.

Right you are, I only level it because that's the fastest way we have to make sure it is prit near flat.
Boy, back in my day..

Sawyer697

I went and brought a 2" bubble that is mounted to the frame up front, out of the way. Then when I set up I like to have the round bubble pretty well centered. ::)
1997 LTHD40G24 WM Mill. 640 Bobcat. 555 ford Backhoe, Husky 365XP
40 Acres Foresty
Custom Sawing in Geauga and Lake County
Build my own solar kiln
Build Furniture, Out Buildings
Bee Keeper, Love My Lord

4x4American

Quote from: Magicman on January 15, 2015, 07:53:15 AM
Proper sawmill alignment and setup is not silly and "brand" does not matter.  Proper setup is essential for log handling as well as safety.  The only thing silly here is the question.

That's why I called it the silly question thread  ;)
Someone had to do it...
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Quote from: Sawyer697 on January 15, 2015, 08:54:50 AM
I went and brought a 2" bubble that is mounted to the frame up front, out of the way. Then when I set up I like to have the round bubble pretty well centered. ::)

ok.  so would a mizer fare better on uneven ground then, because of the cantilevered head?
Boy, back in my day..

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: mikeb1079 on January 14, 2015, 09:55:28 PM
oh wait, this was supposed to be sillly questions....hmmm....has anyone ever tried "curried goat?"   :D :D
I have, it was good, tasted mostly like curry.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

AnthonyW

My assumption is the WM frame is rigid enough that even if the mill was not perfectly level the lumber would still come out square and the head would still travel (close to) as if it were level. I can't imagine trying to perch the mill on such unlevel ground that slope would effect the sawmill's alignment. The issue I see with the mill not being level stems from the ability and ease to load logs and run the mill. Without the FOA I can't get my mill perfectly level unless I'm set up in a flat parking lot. With the holes in the legs being ~1 1/2" apart, I cut a PT 2x6 into 6" squares then cut in half to make 3/4"x6" squares to take up some of the slope when a leg doesn't quite reach the ground in one hole and too far in the next. Given that I have an all manual mill, my priority when leveling the mill is to have the tongue lower than the rear to make returning the head easier, and to have the mill tipped towards the mast to help keep the logs against the backstops and on the mill. So if given the option, the front passenger side of my mill is setup as the lowest point.

P.S. I'm not talking way unlevel, less than 1/4 bubble out of the lines based on a cheap HF two-way magnetic level.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

4x4American

Thanks Anthony, that was some good thought food.
Boy, back in my day..

lirachamo51

hi 4x4 and others ...
i am "lirachamo's" wife (ps lirachamo is initials of us and our daughters...see I'm silly but clever too)( Liz)!
i just wanted to say...i followed this thread and I thought your question was a VERY good LOGICAL question!  The only silly question is when you don't ask what other SILLY people wonder BUT...won't ask!
I learned a lot...thanks for asking!
This is a great site...I'm very impressed that all these busy experienced sawyers take the time to help others!
Hat's off to this forum and a big thanks to all of you who take the time to share your experience and wisdom!
Liz
Randy

Dave Shepard

The Wood-Mizer mill is referenced off of the big square tube. It is a very rigid construction, and it would take an awful lot to distort it. Other mills with two rails are subject to the torsion that can be created by having each end in a different plane. Have you ever pushed down on the front corner of a long gooseneck trailer? They are like a piece of cooked spaghetti, even though they have a pair of big beams running down the middle. As long as a twin rail design is supported well at the corners, it is not a problem.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!