iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

weight of frozen spruce?

Started by lmo506, January 14, 2015, 05:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lmo506

Just want an avg weight. I read somewhere once 4250 lbs per cord .is that right?
I have never pretended to be anything I'm not, except sober, I've pretended to be sober a few times

WmFritz

I found 3000# green.

Water doesn't get heavier when it's frozen.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

snowstorm

WmFritz

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

snowstorm

Jhenderson

Do the mills use that figure to benefit you?

Firewood dealer

Quote from: Jhenderson on January 14, 2015, 08:46:31 PM
Do the mills use that figure to benefit you?
Now that is funny!! Mills don't do anything to benefit anyone but themselves. That is why it is all done by weight. Anyone can twist conversion numbers around but a ton is a ton.
Also, if you used 3000 pounds as a conversion number, that would be 20 cord on a 30 ton load. 20 cord would be pretty tough to fit on a truck unless you were in Michigan :D

Ken

The common conversion here is 4500lbs/cord but nearly everything is sold by weight.  Like it much more that way.  No arguing with the weigh scales.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

barbender

Snowstorm, they have the same conversion number for both spruce and balsam fir? There is a lot of weight difference between those species.
Too many irons in the fire

snowstorm

Quote from: barbender on January 14, 2015, 10:28:15 PM
Snowstorm, they have the same conversion number for both spruce and balsam fir? There is a lot of weight difference between those species.
here sp and fir is lumped together. fir will weigh more than sp most of the time. back in the 4ft days some mills would let you choose stick scale or weigh. if it was all fir sometimes you would gain by weigh. now you are not supposed to convert it . its to be by the ton. i remember hauling into the st regis mill about 30yrs ago and had several of there new foresters pilling 4ft wood in a rack just 4'x8' then weighting it one stick at a time 

CCC4

Doesn't all timber get lighter when frozen due to the sap being down?

barbender

Quote from: snowstorm on January 15, 2015, 08:37:20 AM
Quote from: barbender on January 14, 2015, 10:28:15 PM
here sp and fir is lumped together. fir will weigh more than sp most of the time. back in the 4ft days some mills would let you choose stick scale or weigh. if it was all fir sometimes you would gain by weigh. now you are not supposed to convert it . its to be by the ton. i remember hauling into the st regis mill about 30yrs ago and had several of there new foresters pilling 4ft wood in a rack just 4'x8' then weighting it one stick at a time
I was asking because fir is significantly heavier than spruce  in my experience. I'm not sure what conversion numbers are used  at UPM Blandin, but I think it's seperate for spruce and fir. They stick scaled up until  a year and a half ago.

1270d

Our spruce is sold stick scale, but the conversion is 2.3 or 2.4 tons/cord.    Fir is heavier.   Some of the heaviest loads we produce are winter cut balsam fir.

barbender

Quote from: 1270d on January 15, 2015, 08:42:40 PM
Our spruce is sold stick scale, but the conversion is 2.3 or 2.4 tons/cord.    Fir is heavier.   Some of the heaviest loads we produce are winter cut balsam fir.

Right, balsam is almost as heavy as red pine sometimes. That conversion factor seems to heavy for spruce, is that for balsam?

Thank You Sponsors!