iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log froze down, need advice on how to move it.

Started by Joe Hillmann, January 14, 2015, 04:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foxtrapper

I think I will have the same problem with the bottom 3 on this pile.  I think i'll wait til spring to try to saw them.  Most of this pile is gone, but it's been cold here for couple weeks now...
2014 WoodMizer LT28

4x4American

Where's your snow foxtrapper?  What county r ya in there in WNY?
Boy, back in my day..

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Chuck White on January 14, 2015, 10:25:02 PM

Just drive the bucket tightly into the crease between the ground and the log, at the front corner of the log hold the tractor tightly against the log and then "curl" the bucket and the log should come loose!

That's what I use all the time to get one free in the pile.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Joe Hillmann

My loader is a trip bucket with no down pressure so many of the ideas suggested may work just not with my tractor.

beenthere

So likely you cannot curl the bucket either. Just lift.

Leave it until spring..  :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chief613

another log as a battering ram helps sometimes, either drag it into the stuck log with a chain thrown over the top or push it with the bucket, the extra weight help with the momentum
lt40hd

4x4American

Do you have a 3-pt hitch on the old allis?  I know some of them were converted.  wondering if you could wrap a chain under the log and around the 3 pt hitch arms with them on the ground, then lift up on the arms.  I'm not sure which is stronger, the loader or the 3 pt hitch arms. 
Boy, back in my day..

Saga Dan

I might not have the most experience around here but I have been very impressed with my Logrite cant hook.  I have using mine for the past few weeks in moving a pile of logs that I had left to freeze to the ground. I have also been moving deadfall logs on some local cross county ski trails.  Some of them, prior to my cant hook purchase, I tried various different methods of moving them to no avail.  Hooked on with cant hook and a little bit of work up and down the log and they would all pop free.  I believe the rolling motion allows the "suction" to be broken better than shock trying to break the ice.  I might be wrong, but it is worth a try if you have one and everything else is not working.
2014 LT40 Manual; XP346; XP395; Logosol M8

Merlin

If it warms up a bit, did you try some salt around the base in the morning and then a few hours later try and bump it with something large on one of the ends. Much easier to break it free with a rotational force. The other option is try and break a small path underneath and wrap the chain around connect it on the bottom side away from the tractor so it has to roll the log. Again try and do this on one of the ends. Hope it all works out.
2018 LT15 Wide, 2012 Kubota M8540 w FEL, Norse 390 logging winch, IH 484 w FEL, several Stihl Chainsaws. 115 acre family farm with NFLD ponies, a few beef cows, 1 Border Collie, a very understanding wife and 2 great kids.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

loggah

O.K. i'm chiming back in,i know the sledge hammer and wedges will work! i dont know if the original poster has tried or not,but im just wondering if hes trying any of these solutions or not??? i have done this and it works,im not just guessing.  I would be real upset if a 8' 30 " pine would stifle me all winter!!! i have broken loose D8 and D9 cat dozer pads that were frozen in mud with a 16lb sledge hammer,along with excavator pads. You need the impact to break the log loose,just plain lifting will not do it, as others here have said forklift tongs driven between the log and ground as a wedge ,or dropping another log on it will work. I have seen a number of ideas here that will do the trick. Just get her done !!!!!! ::) ::)
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Peter Drouin

Quote from: loggah on January 16, 2015, 04:32:17 PM
O.K. i'm chiming back in,i know the sledge hammer and wedges will work! i dont know if the original poster has tried or not,but im just wondering if hes trying any of these solutions or not??? i have done this and it works,im not just guessing.  I would be real upset if a 8' 30 " pine would stifle me all winter!!! i have broken loose D8 and D9 cat dozer pads that were frozen in mud with a 16lb sledge hammer,along with excavator pads. You need the impact to break the log loose,just plain lifting will not do it, as others here have said forklift tongs driven between the log and ground as a wedge ,or dropping another log on it will work. I have seen a number of ideas here that will do the trick. Just get her done !!!!!! ::) ::)

Well Logger, Maybe for next winter they will put dunnage under the logs.  :D :D :D
I do on all my log piles and the 690 JD. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

4x4American

Wasn't there someone on here awhile back who needed an idea for splitting big blocks of firewood, and someone come up with a solution, fix up a high-speed d8 with a wedge on it and drive into it at 45mph or something?  I bet that would work pretty good.
Boy, back in my day..

Oliver05262

Just be careful you don't do this...............
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

beenthere

Quote from: Oliver05262 on January 16, 2015, 09:28:27 PM

Curled the wrong way. ;)  Tilted back rather than tilting forward.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

YellowHammer

Quote from: beenthere on January 16, 2015, 10:33:52 PM

Curled the wrong way. ;)  Tilted back rather than tilting forward.
No problem, that should buff right out.... :D

BTW I tried to straighten some forks in a 30 ton hydraulic press, let's just say it didn't work out and I'm glad I didn't get hurt!
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Jeff

THat's why you don't pry up on a frozen log. You ram it like a pair of wedges where it meets the ground. The log will come up if froze down or split if froze in the ground, either way, it moves.  You can't usually just pull or pry.  Once them forks are bent or broke the first time, they will never be the same. 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Joe Hillmann

I ended up getting the log moved on Wednesday.  Since it would have required a lot of chainsaw work to fit on my mill I decided to split it in half with the chainsaw.  I cut it down the middle as deep as I could go with my chain saw and then used 8 or 9 wooden wedges down the length of the cut that I pounded in one hit to each wedge down the line until it eventually split in half.  Once it was in halves the half that was near the pile was loose and a couple hits with the tractor knocked loose the front half. 

And I managed to get back my steel wedges that were stuck under the log from previous attempts at moving it.

4x4American

Good to hear.  I just got done sharpening bands special for some frozen white oaks, gonna see how well they want to cooperate with me
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!