iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what would you do with this one?

Started by chief613, January 14, 2015, 03:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chief613

first post, just been listenin for a while. New to sawing
come across this log about 52" on the butt 30' long. I think im gonna have to split it twice for each log. i thought that might be spalting shown in the end grain? only seen it in photos in boards. Is it worth sawing for the lumber, all they seem to want is a couple slabs for table top. what would be some common dimensions to saw, how would i market the lumber, few more pics in gallery
lt40hd

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum! Is that hard maple? It does look like spalting to me.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 14, 2015, 04:02:51 PM
Welcome to the Forum! Is that hard maple? It does look like spalting to me.

It sure looks like it.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

bandmiller2

Tex beat me to the spring thing, but welcome Chief you will have to prune that  rascal to fit your mill. How far down east are you.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

slider

Welcome Chief.I did a 52 in red oak a while back on my 70 and it was a challenge.I split it once and then set it on the mill with my boom truck.I hope you have some support equipment.Good luck.al
al glenn

Busy Beaver Lumber

This is what I do with them.

Cut spalted wood into pen blanks and dye stabilize in vacuum chamber

These are dyed red

The third, fouth, and fifth pens down are made from dye stabilized wood

This Bracelet assistant is one of my favorites that Mrs. Beaver made from some orange ones i made

Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

thecfarm

chief613,welcome to the forum. What part of Maine are you from? Good luck with the log!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mikeb1079

love those turnings beaver.   :)

from the pics i was curious about how far into the log that spalt is?  seems like some i've sawn like that the fungus was localized to a small pocket right at the butt.  only one way to find out i guess.   8)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, chief613.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Chief613!

I think I'd wait until things warmed up a little before tackling that log!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Privacyleech

dgdrls

Good morning and welcome Chief613,

That will be a dandy project, 
What are you sawing with?

look forward to seeing where this project takes you,

Best
DGDrls

johnnyllama

Definitley spalted. I would wait until spring, then decide what length s to use and cut to those lengths. When you make those crosscuts you will be able to better see how far along the spalting has progressed. I'm guessing not that far in a log that size. If it were me, I would hold of sawing for another year to let the spalting move further. Some guys actually cover the maple logs with dead leaves to keep things moist and supposedly speed up the process. I haven't tried that yet but it sounds logical. I've found 2-3 years about right for letting a maple log ( 18-24") spalt to about the right level, lots of spalt but still hard solid wood. Too far and it will get soft and punky. A log that big might be tricky to go too long though. Any idea how long it's been cut as of now?
Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

thechknhwk

So that's what they call those nowadays, "bracelet assistant" :-\   :D :D

chief613

its pretty much a now or it goes to firewood log , the log itself is free. It was cut this fall. the spalt seems to run the whole length(end grain pic are from opposite ends), at least its evident on both ends. dont really want to hire some one to truck it, takes a big hunk of the free away. Didnt know if there was enough value in the log to invest cash.
lt40hd

beenthere

Quote from: thechknhwk on January 15, 2015, 07:11:03 AM
So that's what they call those nowadays, "bracelet assistant" :-\   :D :D

Yeah, I thought it was one of a set of earrings for un-pierced ears.   ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Geoff Miller

Spalting will move through the log the same way water and nutrients do, along the length of the log. I cut some black maple logs in March 2014 and coated the ends with latex paint. The logs were milled in mid December. Spalting had initiated at both ends and moved about 12-15 inches through the log,with no evidence of wood degradation. Spalting will eventually move along the entire length but it will take time. If the log is too long, the log ends will be punky by the time the spalt gets to the mid point. One way to get spalting to occur is to cut a fresh log into planks or slabs and then re-stack into log form with a layer of wet leaves/dirt between each board. Wrapping the entire log in plastic will help keep everything moist and speed up the process. That being said, it is still a very hit and miss process. Check the stack every 3 months and add moisture if required. The fungus that causes spalting will die once moisture is removed.

JohnM

Hey Chief, welcome to the forum.  Where abouts in Maine is the log?  I could slab it but if time is an issue it may not work.  Send me a PM if you want to talk about it.  Seems a waste to turn it into firewood (would be wicked nice firewood though! ;D)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

isawlogs

It looks very promising in log form, that will be a heavy one to deal with what ever you do with it !   Good find as far as I can tell  8)

''bracelet assistant''   I must of had a mirror assistant, as I had its look alike hung from my mirror at one time.....   ;D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

chief613

got the log moved to my place,in two pieces was all the loader wanted, maybe a bit more. was closer to 20' got an 8 and a 12. thats a 4 foot peavey for reference

lt40hd

samandothers

Welcome Chief!

That will be some kinda pretty!  Look forward to your pictures when you get it split.

woodjunky

Whats all this wait til spring stuff? Be waiting half my life if i waited for spring, up here.:)
Nice looking chunk. Nice and bumpy. Im curious how it will look cut up?  Might get some figured wood from that gnarly chunk. Good luck

Brad_S.

Yikes!
All those bark inclusions will make getting decent boards off the outside rather difficult.
IMHO, if I was still sawing for a living and someone gave me that log, the amount of usable lumber that will come out of that would not be worth the effort involved in extracting it. You will have a lot of knotty, brown lumber and most woodworkers want clear white maple. You will need to find the woodworkers who like "character" lumber. 4/4 and 5/4 lumber were my biggest sellers.
Since time and effort does not equal income for you, it is a moot point what the return will be...I realize you will be going for it!
Best of luck to you!
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

mesquite buckeye

That would be an  arg-smiley argh  arg-smiley log it were mesquite. Half a day to mill it and might just get pieces of flooring. Also that type of log frequently has rot pockets.

Might be less of a problem with your log. Some logs cost more to cut up than the lumber you get out of them is worth. I've done plenty of them. Those barky seams also will contain grit and will really dull your blades. Might take 4 blades to cut up one log like that. What does that cost?

I'm not saying don't cut it. Just pay attention to your time input, blade expenses and value of what you get out of it at the end and figure out whether you want more logs like that in the future. I think this will be an excellent learning opportunity. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

chief613

few updated pics. definitely gaining some respect for the weight of big hard wood. wedges make great pics. the first split i worked hours cutting and driving wedges, it gets to a point the wedges just bounce. Used the jacks to finish it off, the next to splits i barley  used the wedges and made a split in less than an hour, and im guessin that these split easy . took me an embarrassingly  long time to get that chunk on the mill off and back on, by the time i made a few cuts my back was toast for the day. and i packed up for another storm tonight

lt40hd

thecfarm

A lot of work there.
My Father and me had to wedge over a  3-4 foot white pine. We wanted it to go the other way than it leaned. We got some dry maple and started to tap them in. My father was in his 70's so I was the tapper.   ;D   I would start on one end and hit them all than start over again. Seem like it took an hour,but we got it. I think we had as many wedges as you did.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

beenthere

chief
Did you get the pic loading figured out? Looks like you were struggling a bit by loading so many into your gallery. Can we help?

The first pic you just posted (with all the gluts in it) looks like some native voodoo percussion instrument, with each glut making a different sound.  Wonder how far across the valley that sound goes.   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chief613

finally got it worked up. Not sure if there was any money in it but was definitely a learning experience, which is worth something. I did manage to get a pair of 2  1/2"x 24"x10' table slabs and a few cookies they wanted. The rest is mine to fool with. i have some big cants that might produce some more conventional lumber, a lot of the other was wild grain, spalting, and bark inclusions, beauty is in the eye of the beholder for much of that.

lt40hd

sandsawmill14

hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

sandsawmill14

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on March 01, 2015, 09:06:36 PM
Quote from: Texas Ranger on January 14, 2015, 04:16:23 PM
Wait till spring.  8)

x2 ;D
sorry guys i missed page 2 until i already clicked post.    beautiful wood btw good job
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

THUNDER BEAST

Looks like a dragon's face in that book matched table top. Nice work-out you had, my hats off to ya.

drobertson

Heck of a job there,, nicely done I suppose, never tore one apart, so it looks like you won,,  I was thinking you got this far along, if weather and motivation are there, might as well get it done,, Looks good to me,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

isawlogs

Now ain't that a pretty peice of wood, sure hope they are able to keep that the way it is till its finished. Nice job   8) 8)
:)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!