iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new to me/used truck

Started by coxy, January 13, 2015, 06:53:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

thinking about getting an 05 dodge quad cab 5.7 hemi work truck :-\ :-\  ??? ??? ;D what to look for    never had a dodge before   its got 160k on it

thechknhwk

I know what you'll be lookin for after you get it, a chevy or a ford, hahahaha.

Seaman

IMHO   Any sentence with the words " dodge, worktruck " in it should also contain the word " Cummings "

FRank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

sawguy21

We have an 05 with the Cummins, talk about a work horse. Check the ball joints, tie rod ends and brake rotors, they are likely due for replacement. With an alignment that will knock the starch out of a grand.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

clww

That's the truck I bought new, and still ks my daily driver and primary work vehicle. I have all the options, minus the leather, heated seats. The only things I wish for: 1) I had the Cummins, 2) a stick instead of the auto tranny, and 3) better gas mileage. I think I average 10 MPG, but that's mostly city driving around The Beach. It rides rough, but it's a one ton truck, not a car. I haul, or tow, something nearly every day with no complaints for power. I lifted mine with a six inch suspension and a three inch body lift, so I can run up to 40" tires with no rub. The only issues were the "clock spring" needed replacement (under warranty), and a few light bulbs that have burned out. I also have the original brakes on all four corners, plus the original battery (121,000 miles). Knock on wood.
<------------
I would buy another one, same year model. I had a guy two years ago that almost T-boned me at at intersection. I drove away, but his vehicle was a total loss and in three pieces.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Dave Shepard

We have an '05 2500 HEMI. It's got about 180k on it. It has needed some brake work, and I think a u-joint on the front axle. It gets about 12 mpg, and has a lot of power. Seems to be a good truck, but with four doors and an 8' bed, it's not parking lot friendly. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

loggah

Up here in the "salt" belt they rust pretty quickly,the other thing is transmissions, make sure there is no issues with the transmission.I have never owned one personally but i have plenty of friends that own them.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

jdonovan

ya, in 05 the trans were less-strong, but more an issue when behind the cummins.

I had one of about that vintage that ate all the brake lines out. Mechanic said there had been some water in brake fluid and damage was done from the inside out.  After 10 years it might be worth it for $50 in new brake fluid for your truck.

The 5.7 was known as a thirsty motor if you were hauling with it.

redprospector

I've got an 05 DRW 3500, Cummins engine, G-56 6 speed manual, 4x4, 4 door, 8' bed. I've had it a little over a year now. It is one of the pullingest trucks I've ever owned. I hear stories about people getting over 20 mpg out of these trucks, but if they are, they're running around at 50 mph everywhere.
I've had to do some work on the front end (tie rods), and still need to do the ball joints this spring.
I've got no complaints really about mine.
I used to think Dodges were junk. But I think Ford and GM came down in quality while Dodge came up a little, and now they're all about the same.  :(
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

jcbrotz

Quote from: loggah on January 13, 2015, 11:42:07 AM
Up here in the "salt" belt they rust pretty quickly,the other thing is transmissions, make sure there is no issues with the transmission.I have never owned one personally but i have plenty of friends that own them.

He lives in NY so if its old enough to be paid off its half or more rotted out. Check the front end real good.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

coxy

this is a 1500( lamrie )I know that's not spelt right ;D the truck is mint not even a rust pimple on the frame  they came down to 10 k  it was 13k just never had a dodge but see a lot of them on the road here   and ya if I could swing the 800 a month payment I would by another diesel in a heart beat wish I could find a 96-98 ford  7.3 in good shape I would go with that

4x4American

Quote from: coxy on January 13, 2015, 06:27:13 PM
this is a 1500( lamrie )I know that's not spelt right ;D the truck is mint not even a rust pimple on the frame  they came down to 10 k  it was 13k just never had a dodge but see a lot of them on the road here   and ya if I could swing the 800 a month payment I would by another diesel in a heart beat wish I could find a 96-98 ford  7.3 in good shape I would go with that

Get some scuba gear or a submarine, then go look around on the bottom of the ocean, because that's where most fords are, you might get lucky and find one.   ;D
Boy, back in my day..

Dave Shepard

I wish my old Ford was at the bottom of the ocean, but it's at the junkyard. I have to look at it every time I drive in there. If I wasn't broke when I took it there, I would have given it to them on the stipulation that they crushed it while I watched. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

4x4American

Haha, must be they're waiting for a captain to come in looking for an anchor for his ship.  :D
Boy, back in my day..

Gadrock

My o5 Dodge 3500 drw 4x4 gets about 13 mpg with 100 gal diesel tank and tools in the back. And the add all the logging equip that can e thrown into the remainder of the 8 foot bed the 4 door diesel burning dude does adequate on the lowest Bully Dog setting.

And I hat it!

Smells of logging stuff, diesel and grease. Motor rebuilt at 152000 and now has 168000 without any blowby or oil consumption.

^6speed overdrive is for the birds. Get the automatic. Somewhere on the internet...which means it must be true...there was a 50-50 split on satisfaction comparison between auto and manual tranny. Dollar for dollar they are almost equal...and in effeciency too.

If my truck got 20 mpg it would be on a cable behind a towtruck.

Good luck on your decision.

David G

carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

snowstorm

my 6.7 fords fuel mileage has dropped. in the cold its down to 18 all summer it ran 19.5 to 20 unless you get out on the big road an punch the cruise in at 75mph then its 22 if not many hills 23

4x4American

The newer the trucks, the worse they are on fuel mileage.  You can't beat the fuel mileage on the first gen dodge diesels, when I switched to a 98.5 24 valve, I thought it was awful on mileage, but now I know it's pretty dang good. 

The fords we have at work are great on fuel, they never leave the shop :D
Boy, back in my day..

sawguy21

I am amazed at the mileage we get towing with our 05 as long as I keep my fat foot out of it. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Randy88

I'm not sure what exactly your going to do with it, but I've had good luck with dodge products over the years.   If you don't need that kind of power to pull with, I'd opt for a smaller engine myself, the 5.4 is thirsty just to drive up and down the road, but I have larger trucks to pull anything I need to pull.     

I'd also opt for a much lower mile vehicle, I usually buy them from 50-80k miles and drive them to 150-200k before they are not worth fixing anymore.   

Used pickups are the worst to buy, most seem to think they are worth almost new price's no matter the miles.   

Dave Shepard

The Hemi is a 5.7. Ford has a 5.4 that is also thirsty, but doesn't have the power to go with the appetite. ;)

sandhills

I've never driven a hemi but have two 5.4 fords, mine was a brand new crate engine when I bought it, the wife's has 136k miles, hers will blow the doors off mine  ::), go figure.  I wouldn't say there's any lack of power there for what they are, but they are thirsty.

Randy88

woops sorry about the mistyping on the engine size.   

Dave Shepard

'02 5.4 ford had about the same power as a 318 two barrel, and the fuel consumption of a 454 TBI. :D

sandhills

:D :D :D Like I said, never driven anything with a hemi so I can't compare, I just know about the mileage  ;D/.  If I had enough use for the power it'd be a Cummins.

DeerMeadowFarm

My BIL is a Dodge fan. He had a Dakota for years and when he decided to buy a new truck he gave it to his father and he still drives it.
My BIL bought a brand new quad cab 1-ton diesel. It is an awesome looking truck! That being said, he has replaced all the front end (ball joints, tie rod ends, etc.) in the first year he had it (under warranty of course). That was depressing.... He lives <3 miles from his machineshop and other than taking it to his camp in VT 5 or 6 times per year his daily drive is like 5 minutes. Hopefully it was just something weird from the factory and it'll be OK now.... ???

Thank You Sponsors!