iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Repairing circle sawmill

Started by sawwood, January 12, 2015, 08:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawwood

I was on YouTube looking at circle sawmill videos and ran onto one that showed repairing a clutch on a old circle saw mill. The mill is at Georgia Museum of Agriculture in Tifton GA and is steam power. The video is in two parts so hope you can go to the next one off the first one.

I liked this one as it showed them milling all the parts to make a new clutch and the machining was real interesting. You can find lots of neat videos on there.

Sawwood

http://youtu.be/GAo5ULTY1Mw
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

bandmiller2

Very interesting, I enjoyed rebuilding my mill as much as using it. My Chase uses a friction drive a paper pulley running on a large flat cast iron pulley with a flatbelt gig back. Didn't even know about friction board so I used a stack of rubberized cotton belt discs that seems to work fine trued up on a lathe. The feed and gig action is important for ease of operation and safety a good one makes the mill a joy to operate. you don't want a creeper or a jerker. Your clutch is also your brake, a one ton log on a one ton carriage is a lot to stop. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!