iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whacha Haul Your Mill With?

Started by FarmingSawyer, January 12, 2015, 06:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

1998.5 Dodge 2500 cummins engine ext cab long box 4x4 straight pipe roar.  auto trans  :-[  but does the job.  has 187k miles on her.  I put a raptor frrp lift pump in and have had no issues yet, have had this truck for 40k miles or better, since 2011.  Before this I had a 1989 ram w250 cummins.  Loved that thing, got hit by a plow truck when I was broke down on the road, the starter went and buddy was towing me to his shop there in lafayette ny.  totalled the plow truck, my truck was pirt near fine, just bent the frame a bit, so I wedged it up against a tree and come-a-long'd the frame back into proper form.  Only reason I sold that truck was cause I upgraded to newer dodge diesel.  They do a fine job towing the mill.  I get 21 mpg with mine on backroads/highways.  My older first gen got much better mpgs.  My current rig has the 53 block (the one known to crack) a salvage title, and the vp-44 injection pump.  As long as you keep it well lubricated and make sure the lift pump is good, shud be allright.  If I were you I'd look into a common rail 5.9 dodge 3/4 or 1 ton.  They can have some serious grunt.  I overload my dodge on a regular basis and it does great.  I had a load of 16' 1x12's dangling out of the bed one day delivering it 30 miles away to a customer.  Dodge didn't know it was there.  Biggest downfall is the auto trans.  They dont put the power to the ground as good as a manual.
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

sandsawmill14

86 chevy 1 ton  96 chevy dually 81 or 83(i forgot) ford 1/2 ton 4x4 if its very wet  guess you can tell i dont trade  trade trucks to often :D   but i wish i could find a 1ton 4x4 van but havent been able to yet, must be manual transmission last truck i had with auto trans i put 3 in about 15 months time but i do load heavy have had 60 7x9 ties on truck and trailer combined.  btw my newest truck has over 230,000 miles on it (thats why so many trucks) :D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

JB Griffin

1992 FORD F-250 4x4, 7.3 n/a idi, ZF-5 speed, 3.55 gears, HB200 Hydrabed haybed, reg cab, long wheelbase. ;D

2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

FarmingSawyer

Quote from: dgdrls on January 12, 2015, 06:28:04 PM
"Got the bad news this AM before heading off to harvest applewood from an abandoned orchard...... $2K to fix the Burbs tranny....but it could be done in 2 days. I'd better get some saw jobs fast! I did a quick check on-line and in Maine older suburbans in worse shape are selling for more than I paid for mine 10 years ago on the west coast. So the 2K is worth it, for now....I guess......"

Have you looked at a Jasper reman??  I had  700R4 chevy box rebuilt, Shop did a good Job, but a Jasper box would have been less expensive and just as good.

For transport I use a 1/2 ton Ram 2WD with a 6.  1 Lucas 827 loaded, Im building an aluminum deck trailer to haul the saw carriage in the future.

Never thought of a Reman.....but, just checked Jasper website and the trans alone without labor is $400 more than quoted for the same thing rebuilt by a local shop, including labor. Good thing I can tow my mill with the Subaru right now....I've got to do a couple of jobs before I can get transmission fixed.....
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

Brucer

I used to use a 1980 GM half-ton 2WD diesel. It did just fine, just don't expect to win any races. In the winter I had a steel frame that bolted down in the very back of the box and held 9 concrete blocks. The extra 400 pounds well back of the rear axle made a big difference. Carried chains in the winter, but rarely had to use them.

When I could no longer get parts for the diesel, I switched to a 2001 F-150 4x4. I hauls the mill faster but I hate the high sides. Now I need a $%#*&^% stepladder to reach over to the center of the box.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

JB Griffin

Quote from: Brucer on January 13, 2015, 12:53:59 AM
I used to use a 1980 GM half-ton 2WD diesel.

When I could no longer get parts for the diesel

No parts avail. for those 5.7's anymore??
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Ianab

This should get a chuckle.

Got a towbar fitted to my tow wagon today  ;)

The little hatchback actually has plenty of power, but tow weight is limited by your ability to stop it once you do get it moving.  But it will tow the Peterson on a utility trailer just fine.  :)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Finn1903

I use our F-350 4x4 SRW with the 7.3L.  We got a deal on the truck because its a XL crew cab with 8' box and I don't think anyone wanted.  The back seat is great to put tools and such out of the weather.  The vinyl interior is nice to take the leaf blower and blow out all the sawdust.
Only complaint is the truck long and turns about the same as a tour bus.  This can be a pain if trying to back into a tight area. 
Plenty of good old 3/4 to 1 ton Fords out there with the 7.3,  that would be my first choice for a mill hauler.
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

JB Griffin

Quote from: Finn1903 on January 13, 2015, 02:05:08 PM
I use our F-350 4x4 SRW with the 7.3L.  We got a deal on the truck because its a XL crew cab with 8' box and I don't think anyone wanted.  The back seat is great to put tools and such out of the weather.  The vinyl interior is nice to take the leaf blower and blow out all the sawdust.
Only complaint is the truck long and turns about the same as a tour bus.  This can be a pain if trying to back into a tight area. 
Plenty of good old 3/4 to 1 ton Fords out there with the 7.3,  that would be my first choice for a mill hauler.

X2 ;D

Dave Shepard

My mill doesn't leave the farm, so I just use the RTV. ;D

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

I am headed out next week on a ~180 mile road trip.  That is 180 miles one way.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dave Shepard

1140CPX. The front of the bed folds up and there is another bench seat underneath. It's the CrewCab version. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

pineywoods

Quote from: Magicman on January 13, 2015, 03:14:19 PM
I am headed out next week on a ~180 mile road trip.  That is 180 miles one way.   ;D

Magic if you take that shreveport job and don't stop by here, I'm gonna be a little bent out of shape  ;D Plenty of accomodations.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Magicman

Nope, headed in the complete opposite direction.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brucer

Quote from: JB Griffin on January 13, 2015, 12:57:11 AM
[No parts avail. for those 5.7's anymore??

Lots of parts available -- just not the one I needed. The governor in the injector pump disintegrated right on schedule and there were no longer stocked. The DanG things broke about every 80,000 km (50,000 miles). I could've got a used one from a scrap dealer but chances were it would break pretty soon after.

I should have mentioned as well that I beefed up the rear springs and put a huge auxiliary transmission cooler in series with the existing one.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

scleigh

I use a 1994 ford super duty, 14' dump bed, 7.3 international engine. Not real good on gas(diesel?) mileage but I wouldnt expect it to be.

JB Griffin

Good to know Brucer, but its not like I'm gonna be buying one, like, ever. :D

Sixacresand

2004 Silverado 2wd.  I am careful where I go off road, unless there is a tractor close by.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

boxygen

Farmingsawyer, I have a complete and running 95 Tahoe parts truck if you need some stuff. The rear barn doors are beautiful. I will be removing the front clip and front doors in the spring for use on my truck but other than that it almost too nice to part out. Hit me up if you need something.  ;)
Hudson Oscar 121. Mahindra 2415, fransgard winch. Husky chainsaws from 346xp to 394xp, most are ported.

FarmingSawyer

I might just Boxygen... One of my rear barn doors is slightly bent and doesn't close anymore. I'm gonna try to gently pull it back into shape....if I don't shatter the glass. I've got to fix the latches too.....both froze up and the plastic parts gave way. 2nd set of barn doors on this rig. Pith of it is, the DanG things are welded on......
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

boxygen

These are not the originals to the truck. They are very nice. They were put on about a year ago after the rear window was shattered on one door. They are maroon and rust free and function perfectly. You wont be disappointed. They came from the junkyard. They actually have a suburban tag on them, not Tahoe. The pins will easily come out since they haven't been in that long. I'll shoot you a PM.
Hudson Oscar 121. Mahindra 2415, fransgard winch. Husky chainsaws from 346xp to 394xp, most are ported.

reubenT

imagine pulling a WM LT30 with a little subaru brat?  That's what I started with.   Graduated to a 3/4 ton dodge a few years later.    Trouble is I always overload every truck I use.   Popped U joints numerous times on the dodge trying to haul too much weight.   

Bluejay27

My brother uses a '02 Nissan Frontier to tow his sawmill. It has a 3.3L v6 and claims 5000lb towing capacity, but on any decent hill you have to force the automatic into 1st gear to keep going. The only good thing about it is it's 4WD and didn't cost as much as a full-size pickup. It tows the mill fine and brakes safely (with electric brakes), but you just have to get used to a line of cars behind you going up any steep grade.

I tow my mill with nothing (except the Nissan when we bought it) because none of the trailer wiring works and we could make better use of it as a stationary mill.

We do have a real truck though, a '99 F550 that is used mostly for hauling lumber because at best it gets 10 mpg unloaded. And it's 2WD, so we've needed the Nissan occasionally to get it unstuck. Reading what everyone else has, I can see that 4WD is a must.
'98 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD42 Super, '08 LT40HDG28, '15 LT70HDD55-RW, '93 Clark GPX25 Forklift, '99 Ford F550

Thank You Sponsors!