iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hows Business in your neck of the woods?

Started by Percy, August 19, 2004, 12:13:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Percy

Havent been aroud much for the last three weeks. Went to wedding in Las Vegas at the end of July and when I come home, the messages/orders/where-the-heck-are-ya-I-need-boards/etc were piled up waaaay too high. I been busier than a three legged cat tryin to bury his "business" on a frozen pond. I just finished a quote for 17,590 bdft of WRC for a customer and thot Id check in.

Anyways, it seems things are hoppin all over. When I was in Las Vegas, I couldda sold some boards to a house builder I met there(lumber tariffs put the kybosh on that deal :-[). There are  acres and acres of new houses being built there. One of the fastest growing cities in the states Im told. It was 107 degrees there every day(very low RH), just like clockwerk. Airstack the birch there and it would be dry in a week easy :D

Here in northern B.C. things are picking up after a three year dead zone and seven year slow down. Im lookin forward to  a prosperous fall and perhaps the purchase of a swingeblade in November...we'll see.

So how is it(economic activity) where you live??
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Ron Wenrich

Our main buyer has cut back on what they need and on their prices.  Others are getting a little tougher on grade, which also lowers price.  The paper mill has stopped buying for the month.

One of the largest mills in the area has put in a flooring plant.  That will dry up some ties and pallet stock.  Those markets will remain steady.

There isn't a great deal of logs in most of the yards.  Mud season has lasted since last October.  We have areas that have had 14" of rain in one month.  We have logs on the landing, but can't get them out.  We're not alone.

Economic outlook is OK, but not stellar.  A lot will depend on how high oil prices go, and where they fall back.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Kevin_H.

Well, Here thing seem to be good, Right now logs are not a problem, One phone call last nite got me two truck loads of grade white oak logs. For me thats alot, ...Thought I would get some in before white oak veneer season started and the price went up.

We have not seen a big change in prices, East Perry seems to be buying Red Oak grade logs so that makes them a little harder to get...

Everything that comes off the mill is already spoken for, sometimes it a challenge to get paid. Other than that the only problem I am having is finding enought time to get it all done...Gonna hafta to do some thing about that day job.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Norm

Good to hear things are going well for ya Percy. We have been keeping very busy with our day job, the economy is doing great and we are certainly benefiting from it. The farm economy is as good as it's been in many years, if commodity prices hold up through next year we'll enjoy a good return. We've had a wet summer so log prices are higher than usual, the local mill here is running with less than three or four days of logs in the yard.

All in all I can't complain, bet ya never heard a farmer say that before. :D

Cedarman

Cedar orders have been very good. Log supply could be better.Mulch is in good demand.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

woodchip

I seem to be a month behind,but not complaining. 8)

EZ

We are down to almost nothing, nobody is calling and I'm bored. I talk to a couple at the piggy roast about why I'm not sawing and they told me the same thing that I have decided to do. Thank God for my day shift job.
EZ

Bibbyman

Been nutso in mid-Missouri.  I know we're only a tadpole in a small pond but you'd think it was in the middle of a desert. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Gipper

Last month was an absolute mad house here!  Has slowed down a little, but still backed up about 3 weeks.  Hopefully a little cooler weather on the way will help me get caught up. :)

RMay

We are booked for every weekend to Oct. my have to take off a week or two from my day job to get caught up .  8)
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

ARKANSAWYER

6 days a week no less then 12 hours a day and most weeks put out 8 to 10,000 bdft of lumber.  Need pine logs in a bad way to fill orders and have just booked all of Sept and started on OCT.   Deer Season coming most quick and fuel is way to high.   Other then that and the cool weather things are plugging along just fine in these parts.   Wishing some one would try to run me out of business so I could get a break for a few days to get June's orders caught up.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Bro. Noble

We cut our own timber and sell to stable companies so everything is always the same with minor price changes.

Arky,

What are pine logs worth to you?  Might cut you some if you want to haul them this far.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

FiremanEd

Unlimited market for red/white oak to three different flooring plants within 180 miles. Prices vary between the three but doing well. Unlimited tie market at good prices for any and all hardwood ties and only a 7 mile haul. Have an ok market for non oak hardwood 4/4 to a stake plant 20mi away.

Brother is the log supply and other than it being so wet he's doing great. He just got a 600 acres virgin oak job. (2+ year job) so my mid to low grade log supply is set for 2 years.

In the process of upgrading mills this month so log pile is growning but the LT 300 should be running by the end of the week.   No complaints in Va.

PS, very nice board guys. I just found it last week. Very nice.
Full time Firefighter / Paramedic
WoodMizer LT300 as secondary, full time job.
AccuTrac Electric Edger

Bibbyman

Welcome to the Forum FiremanED.

Keep us updated on that LT300 and your operation.  

Mary would sure like to be setting in the Caption's seat of an LT300 with 2-year supply of oak and about 10 men to boss around!
Sawing since '94

ARKANSAWYER

They would work better for Mary. ;D
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

FiremanEd

Thank you Biddyman,

I'm sure Mary would look better than I sitting in that chair but she'd only have 2 or 3 guys to keep straight. We're still waiting on the power company to upgrade our 3-phase. As of tomorrow I'll have everthing in the new building and anchored down, guess I'll be renting a generator on Monday morning. I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve.

I'll let you know next week how it's going.
AccuTrac Electric Edger

Bibbyman

We had to go the roto phase converter route.  Our REA wanted WAY too much to put in 3ph.   >:(
Sawing since '94

Kevin_H.

Sounds like it's time for a road trip to FiremanEd's place... ;D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

FiremanEd

Come on down Kevin,

The power company "promised" today to have me power "by Wed". Of course they promised by the 15 of August to.... Atleast they showed up and set the transformers in the yard today so I expect them the 1st of the week.

All I ask is for a couple weeks to get the hang of this new fangled thing so I don't look like a complete fool trying to run it. There sure are a lot of buttons on that thing....  
AccuTrac Electric Edger

Gilman

Fireman,
Could you get a couple of photos of you looking like a fool so the rest of us fools don't look like such fools?

I've already looked back to a prior foolish state and whish I had a couple photos of myself.  Tomorrow I'm going out sawing and I'm sure I wish (or don't wish) I had a couple photos of this experience in a couple weeks of me being a fool.

Gilman
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

FiremanEd

There are lots of pics of me being foolish,, none have been taken of my sawmilling mistakes that I know of but plenty of other times have been documented..
AccuTrac Electric Edger

Kevin_H.

Shoot us a couple of pics when you get everything up and running...Man a lt 300...I am grey with envy.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!