iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing Some Nice Persimmon

Started by WDH, January 11, 2015, 08:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Persimmon around here is usually small and a lot of times crooked.  See it a lot on the fence rows where birds have deposited the seeds.  I cut this one out of one of my stream bottoms.  It was right at 16" in diameter and very clear for the first 25 feet.  All in all, I got 7 logs that were 8.5' long out of this tree.

I am cutting as much 9/4 (2 & 3/8" thick) as I can get.  I also sawed one plank from the butt log that is 12" wide and 3" thick.  Some of this is already sold to a golf club maker in Missouri who reproduces real persimmon woods.  I recently sold some to a violin maker in Virginia.  He dies it black and uses it for violin fingerboards.  Also, some of this wood is slated for a crochet mallet head maker in North Carolina, and a hand plane maker in Colorado.  Also sent some to a hand tool maker in Pennsylvania. 

Very hard to find in thick dimensions from what I hear.  Now with the website that Jeff built for me, I am getting inquiries from all over for specialty wood like this.  Even sent some hackberry to Australia to a luthier.  The website makes all the difference. 

For example, if you Google "Persimmon Lumber For Sale", I come up as the second listing on the first page.  For small sawmill operator like me, that is very powerful.   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

Amazing to get all those logs from one big buck tree, a male I assume.  Sawing thick like that, what is your schedule and technique for drying and time to delivery?  I'm excited to see how his turns out, seems like a very interesting and possibly difficult project to get the slabs dried defect free. Very cool project!
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

slider

So you are the big persimmon pimp I have been hearing about.
al glenn

Peter Drouin

Now with the website that Jeff built for me, I am getting inquiries from all over for specialty wood like this.  Even sent some hackberry to Australia to a luthier.  The website makes all the difference. 

For example, if you Google "Persimmon Lumber For Sale", I come up as the second listing on the first page.  For small sawmill operator like me, that is very powerful.   
[/quote]

Good for you  8) 8)
The FF will get you up there. :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

that is a crazy big persimmon! even better you have a market ready for the finish product.. that's nice!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

samandothers

Wow that is a big persimmon!  Sounds like business is picking up thanks to the website Jeff built for you, that is good.  One of these days you may have to retire from working so hard. ;D

DR_Buck

This thread is why the Forestry Forum is an educational site.   I had to look up "luthier".  Now I'm educated.    8)
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Andy White

Danny,
That is a great looking whack of logs. I knew they used persimmon for golf club heads, but all that other stuff is cool. I toured the Tony Lama boot factory in Texas for some boots, and during the tour, the guide told me if my heels ever start "clicking", just walk in water to swell the Persimmon wood pegs they use to attach them! You got pegs for a while!!!  ;D ;D ;D     Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Holmes

Good for you Dan.  Sounds like there is a lot of value to persimmon. Who'd a thunk. 8)
Think like a farmer.

fishpharmer

Hamsley Hardwoods International 8)

Great to hear business is good.  The nicest looking fireplace mantle I have ever seen was persimmon.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

mesquite buckeye

Sticker it close and get some weight on it. That stuff likes to move like crazy hickory or eucalyptus. :(

Just sayin' ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Dave Shepard

Looks like a good score. No persimmon around here. :D Whenever I see persimmon mentioned, I am reminded of my raising and rigging instructor (from Virginia) talking about people "sweating like a possum pooping persimmon seeds". :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WDH

This is not my first persimmon.  A challenging wood to say the least.  A man has to have patience to dry it. 

I have patience. 

Robert, yes it is a male. 

Sam, what does "RETIRE" mean.  It is not in the FF dictionary  :)

Dave, possums love persimmons.........
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This is what a Possum looks like when he eats a green Persimmon :  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

YellowHammer

Quote from: WDH on January 11, 2015, 11:57:05 AM
A challenging wood to say the least.  A man has to have patience to dry it. 
Well, DanG, that pretty much counts me out! My wife keeps telling me that I need to learn patience, but I never have enough time...

YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

RayMO

Very nice wood . You got me to wishing I had not got lazy on a job last winter and pulled the cable across the ravine for a persimmon tree bigger than yours but not as tall . Oh well it is still growing for the next guy lol .
Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

pineywoods

Danny,save every scrap. Big pieces are nice, but the pen/pencil makers and duck call makers will go nuts over a 5/4 X 5/4 X 6 in chunk, especially the black and brown heart found in some persimon logs. I've found that the color and grain will vary quite a bit from tree to tree.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

julio

Jake see we could have went and played at Danny's place yesterday ;)
If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

samandothers

Seems that retirement thing is not so much less busy, just a different boss!

chopperdr47

I just sawed some persimmon myself yesterday! My tree wasn't near that size though. I had 2 - 8' logs about 14" in diameter. The tree had been on the ground since a tornado in 2011. I didn't even know it was there until I got the big shagbark hickory off of it.

There was not much rot and I got about 70 bf of 5/4 boards.

Now I guess i need a website.
If ya ain't got what ya need, use what ya got

GAB

Quote from: YellowHammer on January 11, 2015, 01:33:23 PM
Quote from: WDH on January 11, 2015, 11:57:05 AM
A challenging wood to say the least.  A man has to have patience to dry it. 
Well, DanG, that pretty much counts me out! My wife keeps telling me that I need to learn patience, but I never have enough time...

YH

For some reason I always thought that patience and elbow grease were two things you got at the drug store.  Oh well, when it comes to patience I'm in YH camp.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

WDH

Chopper,

You are gonna need some boron, too.  Powderpost beetles love persimmon. 

caveman

Nice looking logs WDH.  I do not see them that big around here.  Also, you have a nice web site.  I have looked at it a couple of times in the past.  I am looking forward to seeing pictures of the boards/slabs you cut out of them.
Caveman
Caveman

Ga Mtn Man

Wow, those are really some nice logs Danny.  The persimmons I see up here a scrubby little things you wouldn't think twice about sawing.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Thank You Sponsors!