iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

half log oak benches..Sealer??

Started by willmyers0169, January 11, 2015, 03:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

willmyers0169

I had a customer order 3 8' half log oak benches for an outdoor area, and I wasn't sure what I should seal them with.  they will be sanded smooth after they come off the mill.  Red oak by the way. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Machinist, WM LT15 230 JD skidsteer 2010 JD 2955 JD Jonsered chainsaw

beenthere

I wouldn't put anything on them and tell the customer that finish will be up to them.
If red oak and outdoors, the results will not be good regardless of finish, and may even be worse with a finish. Put the onus on the purchaser, as you don't want them coming back to say you did something wrong.
IMO
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

hunz

Does he know that an oak log that is halved, will most likely leave a crowned face through the pith with a healthy crack? It may be a little difficult to keep the rain out of a large check through the heart regardless of sealing it. It may end up making you look bad a couple years down the road when this guy's benches rot. If anything I would tell him you did some thinking about the red oak, and advise that due to the uncertainty of the bench longevity you prefer to not do any painting work or something. Just my $0.2. Some folks just do what the customer asks, I always advise with knowledge and experience regardless if it cost me the job. To me, its better to look competent than get a bad name for not speaking up as if you don't know what you are doing. The best of luck!
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

dboyt

How wide are the benches?  Would it be possible to cut out the center slabs to avoid pith (they'd be a little less than half-logs, but it would avoid some problems that Hunz brought up)?  Assuming that they will be used "green" off the mill, I would put an end sealer (like AnchorSeal) on the ends right away, let them season for a year, then finish them.  Your customer would get much longer use out of white oak, if it is available.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Will, there are a few variables that may determine how a Red Oak Slab bench may turn out.
I have sawed and sold probably over 100 of these things in 4 1/2 years. Its what the customer wanted.

So I read your post, just now got up and went to the mill and took pics of my outdoor Red Oak Bench ( in the rain).
I try to keep different species of wood in the outdoor weather to give customer an idea of what they can expect.

I see your in Georgia and me being in S.C.....we have pretty much the same weather, no deep freezes or anything like that. We both have the high humidity and temps and plenty of rain and drought. All this will take its toll on any bench.

Here are pics of my 4 year old bench. It is 6 inches thick x 16 inches wide x 8 foot long.
When I sawed it, I had to use the backhoe forks to move it. It was heavy. Now....2 people can pick it up... not 1 but 2.  :) It still has some weight.
I have not put any end sealer on it.....all I have put on the bench is used motor oil from the tractor and sawmill.
I usually pour the oil on it once or twice a year.
You can see the ends have not checked much based on a 6 inch thickness.....however, when you start sawing below 6 inches, lets say a 3 or 4 inch thick thickness, the checking will increase.
Also there is no hump in this slab. When I sawed it, I sawed the log in two.... 2 inches below the pith. It still looks like a split log.
When people ask what will a particular species do over time......each log is different, even if it is the same species.
The grain will darken up over time from the elements, no matter what finish you use.....if the bench is left outside.
The legs are just end cuts from the logs and the slab sets on top. I sawed the bottom of the half log flat to give it a base to set on the legs.
Applying some type of oil yearly will keep you bench nice and solid and will surely have a rustic look for years of enjoyment.

Since your customer ordered 3.....take the 4th half and make you a bench to keep at your mill.  :)

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WmFritz

How long after you wipe on the old motor oil can you set on it without staining the seat of your jeans? If you did it on a hot sunny day, would it be days or weeks for it to dry?

Somebody made off with a saw blade btw.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Jeff

Quote from: WmFritz on January 12, 2015, 04:26:05 PM
How long after you wipe on the old motor oil can you set on it without staining the seat of your jeans?

They don't worry about such things down there. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Jeff on January 12, 2015, 04:28:52 PM
Quote from: WmFritz on January 12, 2015, 04:26:05 PM
How long after you wipe on the old motor oil can you set on it without staining the seat of your jeans?

They don't worry about such things down there. ;)

:D You're sorta right Jeff.
Bill...to be honest, I just poor the oil on it and brush it around to cover all the wood and let it set. I have never wiped it down with a rag.
In the summer, it'll soak in pretty quick and be dry the next day...trust me. Have a seat.  :D :D :D

Oh yeh Bill...I moved the saw blade to the road. The siding you see behind the bench is SWEET GUM. Best barn siding IMO.  :) A very RARE wood.....expensive if you can find it.  ;D

Jeff

Those guys are used to sitting on SYP where the bench gets up with you.

Jeff

slider

DOWN THERE,you better watch it big boy.one day you are going to come visit and we don't want to hurt you.Anyhow every one knows we use the burnt motor oil in our hair just like Elvis did.
al glenn

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Drinks holders extra!  :D :D :D

Jeff, is that the same mill Scott has now (Tom's)?

Jeff

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 12, 2015, 04:53:37 PM
Drinks holders extra!  :D :D :D

Jeff, is that the same mill Scott has now (Tom's)?

No. That is Tom's first Baker.

fat olde elf

I hear that folks DOWN HERE also use burnt motor oil instead of KY jelly..... 
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Jeff

Its not like when I said down there meant like hell or sumpthin.  I've probably got more southern blood in me then most people that live down there. We put old motor oil on our seats up here too, but first it leaks out of the car, then we slide under the car to fix the leak, then we get back in the car to get warm. :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Jeff on January 12, 2015, 08:02:48 PM
Its not like when I said down there meant like hell or sumpthin.  I've probably got more southern blood in me then most people that live down there. We put old motor oil on our seats up here too, but first it leaks out of the car, then we slide under the car to fix the leak, then we get back in the car to get warm. :)

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

scleigh

Wonder if grits can be used as oil dry?

POSTON WIDEHEAD

PC-Urban-Sawyer

FarmingSawyer

Raw Linseed oil thinned with turps would be my choice. Easy & cheap to flood on and maintain once or twice a year. Keeps the natural look of the wood. I use used motor oil as a post preservative and it gets buried out of sight where sensitive environmental types can't freak out about it......
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

scsmith42

I would treat them with a boric acid solution right after milling, and then use a high quality high solids stain on them.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

willmyers0169

Thanks POSTON. I figured if I removed 2-4" of the pith it should be fine.  I will try and post some pics if the weather ever breaks down here. Thanks again POSTON. Truly helpful.
Machinist, WM LT15 230 JD skidsteer 2010 JD 2955 JD Jonsered chainsaw

Thank You Sponsors!