iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ratchet binders - what brand do you prefer.

Started by kensfarm, January 10, 2015, 11:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kensfarm

I did a search for Ratchet binders and didn't find any discussion on brands..  for those that haul loads all the time.. do you have any preference on brand?  Might have to haul my tractor for new rear tires.. there 15 years old now.. tube might let me go a while longer.  Thank you.  Ken

CCC4

coxy

we use ratchet straps on every thing but the skidder just cant seem to get them tight enough

jwilly3879

Two of the truckers that haul for us still use chains and binders.

thenorthman

Don't see many folks using the nylon straps around here, unless its a motorcycle or atv.

I have used some 3" straps for moving the ole tractor now and again.

But in reality I prefer chains and binders, the old lever style and the screw type are fine, just don't skimp on the chain.
well that didn't work

treeslayer2003

i use chains on equipment, and yes i prefer lever binders even tho the DOT don't. i sure am glad i don't have to throw 3/8 chain over a log trailer no more lol. we use 4" straps there.

Gadrock

Around my neck of the woods 4 in straps is the norm for wood products. Some of the truckers use preformed plastic corners to protect their straps from cutting when transporting square shaped things.
   When we transport dozers etc we use chains and binders. If we are really serious we use the ratchet type, otherwise we use the lever-type binder. Yep, we use a pipe for leverage. I still am in awe how a well secured load can get so loose in such a few miles.
   Be careful guys.

David G

carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

Dave Shepard

When you say ratchet binder, do you mean a ratchet strap, or an actual ratcheting chain binder?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

pwrwagontom

Not a fan of the lever type with a pipe myself...I've seen someone almost get their teeth knocked out when one let go.

I always use the ratchet type...a friend uses the nylon straps to transport my Dodge Power Wagon, always seems to get nice and secure

-T
Never give an inch

terrifictimbersllc

I buy mine from here, and have been happy with them.  http://www.shipperssupplies.com

I use 1" and 2" ones for lighter weight stuff  on the truck and trailer but go to 4 grade 40 chains and chain binders for the tractor.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

kensfarm

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 11, 2015, 11:17:28 AM
When you say ratchet binder, do you mean a ratchet strap, or an actual ratcheting chain binder?

Yes.. ratcheting chain binder.  Looks like most use ratcheting straps on small equipment.  Thankyou! 

kensfarm

Quote from: pwrwagontom on January 11, 2015, 11:38:39 AM
Not a fan of the lever type with a pipe myself...I've seen someone almost get their teeth knocked out when one let go.

Some of the web sites had safety tips.. had a story about young trucker  severe gashes across his face.. 5 teeth nocked out.. part of his jawbone.. the top palet split.  His glove had slipped off right before it locked down. 

Maine logger88

Whatever Brand you get make sure to keep them lubed up with chain and cable lube or wd40 once they rust up they are useless
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Reddog

Peerless makes a neat ratchet binder that the handle folds down on out of the way.

Offthebeatenpath

I like the sound of that folding handle Reddog- I don't think I've ever seen one.  I switched my lever style for ratchet binders after a near miss, haven't looked back.  I notice a big difference between my imported and my US made binders, no real surprise there though...
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

clww

We use 4" nylon straps on our log trucks, but chains for transporting the heavy machinery. Mostly ratchet-type binders, but I don't see any marking with a manufactures name. The last five I got were in a pile of other stuff that I picked up cheap on CL.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Reddog

kensfarm

Thank you guys for the great info..  I'm probably going w/ 4 chain rachet binders.  I have a Pequea tilt trailer T-200 12k GVWR.. it has the D tie down rings.  The fenders are getting a bit bent up from logs jumping on them.  Started pulling some firewood logs out too.. the mud did finally freeze.

Thanks RedDog..  those peerless really look nice.. like the idea of the folding handle too.  They probably have a nice price too.. but I don't mind paying more for quality. 

Thank You Sponsors!