iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Favorite Tool

Started by YellowHammer, January 10, 2015, 10:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

I had a new tool delivered this weekend and it has already become one of my favorites.  A barely used Cat indoor/outdoor forklift.  I have a lot of gravel (I have a small gravel pit on the property), pavement and asphalt surfaces, and move our sawmill and finished lumber on pallets from the mill to and from the air drying area, kilns, planer, trailer, lumber racks, in and out of buildings and loading customer vehicles. So I move a lot of lumber and was getting frustrated using my farm tractor loader for this precision and high cycle work. After lots of deliberation and searching, I finally found a not too big, not too small, side shifting, professional grade forklift for these jobs.  Here it's carrying about a thousand Bdft of walnut without flinching.
Not only is it pretty, but it's got the chops to get er done in a fraction of the time of my old piece of equipment.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

4x4American

Heck yea nice!  Make sure you keep her well greased and when you service her there's some sort of propane valve in there you gotta clean out at least on the Toyota's I used to work on there was.
Boy, back in my day..

wetdog

Don't it feel good to have the proper tool for the job?

Magicman

Yes, I agree that it is pretty too.  Congrats.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customsawyer

That is nice. Now you are going to be fussing at yourself for not doing it sooner.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Privacyleech

That is awesome! While we are on the subject of equipment does anyone have any suggestions of a good starter piece of equipment for around the mill? I have a manual LT28 with the log loading/turning package, but it sure would be nice to get a small tractor or something to use. Just looking for suggestions. . . Congrats on the forklift YH!

drobertson

8) smiley_fiddler 8) Nice!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

bandmiller2

Nothing like a piece of equipment that made for a job. Now you just have to learn where the ends of the forks are. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Bruno of NH

YH
That's a nice unit !
It will move some wood !
Jim/Bruno or NH
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

78NHTFY

YH--bet your smiling like a Cheshire CAT :D :D.  Thought I would make it three guys in a row from NH to congratulate you! ;D  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

backwoods sawyer

Nice 8)

I can hear it now:
It's been getting late for a while now, time to put your new toy up for the night before it turns into morning :D

Life just got easier, side shift is a big plus, will make more time for making sawdust ;D

Do I see a new forklift shed in your future?
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

woodworker9

I am so jealous............
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Ohio_Bill

Very nice, and I am sure a lot easier to move around in .
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

StimW

It's a lot harder to find a forklift that will go off road. It seems most smaller ones have little hard warehouse tires.

I got this beauty on CL for $800.00 not running !! Seller said he wanted at least scrap price for it.
It had some stuck valves and distributor was frozen and could not be adjusted. It didn't run when I got it.

New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

WDH

Nice, Robert.  Now you can load the kiln twice as fast. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

Quote from: customsawyer on January 10, 2015, 10:59:48 PM
That is nice. Now you are going to be fussing at yourself for not doing it sooner.
That's a fact, especially after using the dog stew out of it this weekend, and wondering why I didn't do this sooner.   Even though we are a mom and pop log to retail lumber operation, this year alone, 2014, we moved, transported and lifted 1.15 million lbs of wood, in the various processes going from logs to finished lumber product, and we looked at, and demoed quite a few different pieces of equipment including telehandlers (almost bought one), rough terrain lifts, skid steers, slick tired lifts, even order pickers, used and new.  I finally decided one "do all" piece of equipment wouldn't do everything I needed.  So after looking at several pieces of equipment, even getting site visits from local lift companies to make suggestions, we decided on this Cat forklift for the part of our operation that is on hard surfaces, gravel and close quarters, and then another piece of equipment that hasn't come in yet, from New Holland, to do the muddy and rough terrain parts.

Next week, the CAT service guys are coming out to put new tires on it and swap the forks out for specialty "lumber" forks.

Quote from: WDH on January 11, 2015, 08:49:22 PM
Nice, Robert.  Now you can load the kiln twice as fast. 
You're right, the dad gum thing moves a lot of lumber real fast.   smiley_thumbsup
YH   
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Jemclimber

Very nice. I'm curious what specialty lumber forks are?
lt15

backwoods sawyer

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Jemclimber

lt15

4x4American

Quote from: Privacyleech on January 11, 2015, 12:18:17 AM
That is awesome! While we are on the subject of equipment does anyone have any suggestions of a good starter piece of equipment for around the mill? I have a manual LT28 with the log loading/turning package, but it sure would be nice to get a small tractor or something to use. Just looking for suggestions. . . Congrats on the forklift YH!

An old farm tractor with a FEL is a good start.  They are cheap/reliable.  I got a 1981 70 horse john deere 2640 for $6k off a local farmer.  My other farmer friend thinks I gave too much but I needed a tractor asap.  I can skid logs with it, plow out the sawmill area + driveway, load logs, off load lumber, stack slabs neatly, I will start stacking my firewood on pallets so I can move it with the tractor, unload/load trucks, you can put attachments on the back with 3-point hitch ie a buzzsaw... etc.  so much you can do with one.  I wouldn't go smaller than 70 horse.  I was moving some 19" diameter small end 16' pine logs with it and it was doing about all it could to move them.  Later on down the line I can see myself getting a payloader, I can get an old Fiat-Allis off some old boys down the road for probably 8 grand.
Boy, back in my day..

blade69001

Love my forklift, I can not imagine what it is like trying to work without one.
Just being me, But it is ok you do not have to like me.

Tom the Sawyer

Very handy for working around the mill.  Forklift capabilities, 5000 lb capacity, no "small tire" problems, turns on a dime, moves logs or pallets of lumber.  Add a chain and a pair of tongs and it'll snatch logs out of a trailer or pickup bed.

07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

YellowHammer

Quote from: Jemclimber on January 12, 2015, 08:29:54 AM
Very nice. I'm curious what specialty lumber forks are?
Unlike standard forks or pallet forks that generality have a short taper which ends midway down the fork and then goes to a solid rectangular cross section at the heel to make entering pallets and standard loads easier, "Lumber" forks have a constant gradual taper and a distinctly sharp edged tip, and have polished surfaces.  This geometry is intended to make entering and penetrating tight packs of lumber very easy, and allows separating and breaking apart stickered stacks.  Its kind of like the difference between a stiletto and a kitchen knife.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Jemclimber

Thank you for that explanation. I guess I've never seen "lumber" forks.
lt15

Thank You Sponsors!