iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally! The world is figuring out how "hot" we really are. Comical!

Started by Just Me, January 10, 2015, 05:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OH Boy

and I always prided myself on NOT having any kind of label. Funny that flannel is a fashion trend.

SwampDonkey

Believe it or not, for a time in these parts, a checked wool plaid coat (not cotton flannel that tried to immitate) was a fashion statement in the 60 and 70's in these parts. Pretty much every family in a mostly rural part of the world owned a woodlot, trappers around every corner for 6 months and part of normal hunting apparel.   ;D

Heck, I couldn't even buy a checked wool coat these day unless it was on special order from someplace like Cabella's maybe. Certainly can't buy one in any store around here for hundreds of miles. :D

Kinda like the paper grocery bag, where did they go? :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Brucer

He's a lumberjack and he's OK.
He sleeps all night and he works all day.

;D ;D
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

beenthere

QuoteKinda like the paper grocery bag, where did they go?

I find them in the grocery store, at the checkout. ;)

The red wool plaid was popular for many years when gun hunters were required to wear red (that was until in the late 60's when the orange jacket/covering was required). So wool being warm and the ability to die it red was a useful combination.
I just recently sent my red wool plaid hunting coat to the Goodwill store for "recycling".
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Quote from: beenthere on January 10, 2015, 07:39:43 PM
QuoteKinda like the paper grocery bag, where did they go?

I find them in the grocery store, at the checkout. ;)

Long gone from grocery stores here. One of the pulp mill companies here has a petroleum plant and also make plastic bags as far as I know. You can buy jute and paper potato sacks I know.

The wool garments and blankets can be returned to the local wollen mill here. My grandmother would send things after they wore out for years. They still take them.

I have a solid red wool coat. I doubt it will wear out for years.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Corley5

Jay's Sporting Goods has Woolrich coats in stock.  I suffered sticker shock when I looked at them last fall.  $300.00 for the Woodsman Coat  :o
  Ken's Market in Indian River still asks "paper or plastic"  8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thecfarm

I still have my Fathers black and red checked coat. Would not be something that I would wear going grocery shopping. It just hands on a nail in the garage,waiting for my father to put it on.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

AWESOME! I can be with the "IN" crowd again!! ;D ;D ;D
I still have all this stuff hanging in the closet. I actually wear this stuff depending on the weather.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Just Me

A friend of mine that lives in NYC told me about this trend so I googled it. I had to make a trip to Baltimore last month for a meeting and I saw a lot of guys like this but thought it was because there was a remodeling show in town, Guess not.

Just a heads up, old axes and such are going for record prices on Fleabay. Offload your old junk!

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

I've got lots of wool garments, even the real wool underwear. Roxie won't let me post it, her mouse clicks have power. :D :D

Just Me

Quote from: Corley5 on January 10, 2015, 08:17:31 PM
  Jay's Sporting Goods has Woolrich coats in stock.  I suffered sticker shock when I looked at them last fall.  $300.00 for the Woodsman Coat  :o

McClutchys in Indian River still has them I believe.

WV Sawmiller

Swamp donkey,

Paper bags? I still remember when you bought your groceries and they put them in the cardboard boxes the canned goods had come in. Now they just crush and bale the cardboard and sell to recyclers (Inside worker thieves used to throw away full boxes as if empty then come back at night and get the stuff out of the dumpsters). I don't remember the last time I saw a paper bag at the stores I frequent.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SwampDonkey

Coop stores here had boxes to use and you packed your own groceries.

jwilly3879

My wife's store still offers paper or plastic but for her shopping she brings her own cloth bags.

trapper

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 10, 2015, 08:42:09 PM
Coop stores here had boxes to use and you packed your own groceries.
Aldi stores here are still like that.  We use the boxes for our burnable scrap paper and then just throw box and all in the wood boiler. Recycle garbage to heat.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Don_Papenburg

Go to Chicago , new ordinance in effect now No plastic bags.   
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Warped

Does this mean they'll be selling Gentlemen's Quarterly this August in Booneville? Have to see how Victoria's Secret handles this......

http://www.wsj.com/articles/california-legislature-passes-ban-on-disposable-plastic-bags-1409381457

Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

Roxie

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 10, 2015, 08:33:23 PM
I've got lots of wool garments, even the real wool underwear. Roxie won't let me post it, her mouse clicks have power. :D :D

Yes they do, and I'm watching you!   :D
Say when

SwampDonkey

sandhills

Both grocery stores here offer paper or plastic, bag it for you, then ask what you're driving and carry it out for you while you're paying  :).

Thank You Sponsors!