iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LOGRITE 78" Megahook

Started by RayMO, January 09, 2015, 10:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RayMO

How many of you all have or have used one . Just ordered one direct from our sponsor and figured the $200.00 plus price might be a bargain if it saves my abused back. I haul logs to a couple of Amish mills that have no unloading equipment . Thinking it might make hand rolling some of those big logs off the trailer a bit easier and safer .

May have to fashion a means of chaining it with lock to back of truck to stop the thieves though .....
Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

WV Sawmiller

Raymo,

I'm anxious to see what info you get. I just got my mill 2 days ago and cut a big tulip poplar and have logs 16' long and 24" diameter and they are a bear to move. I'm still learning about how much and what kind of equipment I still need. Good luck with it. Sounds like a fine tool
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Dan_Shade

I have two of them.  they are handy.  I recommend two, if the logs are that big,  you'll want help.

also, a hi-lift jack is useful for moving big logs.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

backwoods sawyer

I agree they work best in pairs ;)

I picked up a pair of the heavy 60"  and have used them hard for several years and they have held up well. They work well on logs up to 36".
I still need to get a pair of the 78" megahooks for those over sized logs. 

Saves on the back and gives you good control of the log.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

terrifictimbersllc

I have one, pretty simple, when a longer lever & big hook will help, & handing it to the customer, makes it easier on me. I pretend its more important that I'm at the mill controls. :) :)  Could use 2 but usually if it gets to that I get out the strap, chain and hook that I rig up to the sawmill clamp to pull big logs toward the mill.  I also carry a hi-lift extreme jack, sometimes two but these don't often get used to move logs for bandsawing.

You can wrap a chain around the stem where the hook attaches and padlock it tight there if you want.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

FarmingSawyer

I guess it's time to pony up and get a Logrite.....I was working in the woods Thursday and my winch cable shifted, the log rolled and somehow the cable got on the wrong side of the tree my peavy was leaning on..... When the cable came tight it sheared my wooden handle. I've moved a lot of big wood with that ash handle. Guess it was done though......
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

thecfarm

If ordering one,order some Blue Creeper too.   ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

I find it indispensable for turning the big logs on a manual mill.  It will save your back for sure, and will let you turn logs that you could not turn with a 60" cant hook.   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

RayMO

Sounds great! I have the 60" peavy and love it but needing a bigger hook on a few logs and easier is better in my book .

Andries

The MegaHook really is mega. A size comparison:

Over the years we ended up with one of each colour.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Andries

Quote from: WDH on January 10, 2015, 07:56:45 AM
I find it indispensable for turning the big logs on a manual mill.  It will save your back for sure, and will let you turn logs that you could not turn with a 60" cant hook.   

Worth every penny buck.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Andries on January 10, 2015, 01:01:00 PM
Quote from: WDH on January 10, 2015, 07:56:45 AM

Worth every penny buck.

How long is that Mill?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Andries

I can mill up to fifty two feet.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Andries

For the sawyers with manual mills and heavy logs here's something that works for me.
I have an ongoing milling job that requires a large cedar logs to be halved, right down the centre.
That requires small tweaks and turns plus levelling off with the manual toe-boards.
Logrite sells parts for their tools, the MegaHook 'hook' part only can be used to turn any massive log.

Add a length of chain to the hook with a grab hook at the other end. Use forks on a loader, or, if no loader, use a HighLift jack to roll the log on the bed. Remember: set all this up so that the log rolls in the direction of the log supports>
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

gfadvm

I have 2 of the shorter Logrites and love them but really need longer ones. They are outside my budget for now so does anyone have any ideas about lengthening/using a cheater bar on the ones I have? Pipe is just too heavy.

beenthere

From the peanut gallery......
If they were designed for a cheater bar then 1) they would be heavier material in the short handles and 2) they would have to be more expensive to buy.

Hope that answers the question... as I read it. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

RayMO

The shorter ones will only work well on smaller dia. logs compared to the bigger/longer hooks so a cheater pipe might be ok as long as you don't exceed the hook limits and just need more leverage to make it less strain-full on your back.

Not all of us are 6 ft plus and over 200 lbs and some are more senior than others and need a little more help lifting now and then .

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Ga Mtn Man

The Megahook is on my list of things to get when I have the $.

I'm curious, how do you go about aligning a 50' mill to ensure that it is dead straight?  ???
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

terrifictimbersllc

By eye, but with binoculars. :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Andries

I asked Jake (CustomSawyer).
Turns out, he's got really good binoculars.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

dboyt

Dan, that log would roll a lot easier if you'd pull the chock.  Just sayin'...  That hook for turning the log with a front end loader works great.  It is also a good way to safely roll logs off a trailer.  Just hook up a tractor (or horse) and roll it right off.  Is the hook geometry different with the megahook so that it will handle larger diameter logs?  Interchangable hooks would be a good idea.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Andries

The MegaHook geometry is the best.
I've used plenty of cheapo and bush crafted peaveys and the Logrite hooks just grab and hold on. Big or small.
Not sure what the formula is - maybe Tamiam could answer that.
dboyt:
The megahook - hook and chain combo works on any of the logs that we've worked with. Not sure I'd take the time and trouble to swap out for a smaller hook if the big hook is doing the job.

Sometimes it's just "pitter patter, lets get 'atter". . . and then . . . there's days like today at -41 degrees.
Good time to be on the FF!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Tam-i-am

the hook geometry is key to making the hook grab.  Trade secret so can't say more about that. :D
RH003 (replacement hook for Megahook) optimum range is 15"-45"diameter log
RH002 (replacement hook for any of our 60" handles) optimum range is 10"-36" diameter log
RH001 (replacement hook for all other tools) optimum range is 8"-32" diameter log

Quote from: gfadvm on January 10, 2015, 08:39:31 PM
I have 2 of the shorter Logrites and love them but really need longer ones. They are outside my budget for now so does anyone have any ideas about lengthening/using a cheater bar on the ones I have? Pipe is just too heavy.

Quote from: RayMO on January 10, 2015, 10:17:57 PM
The shorter ones will only work well on smaller dia. logs compared to the bigger/longer hooks so a cheater pipe might be ok as long as you don't exceed the hook limits and just need more leverage to make it less strain-full on your back.

Not all of us are 6 ft plus and over 200 lbs and some are more senior than others and need a little more help lifting now and then .

RayMO and gfadvw - using a cheater bar can cause you to exceed the limit of the handle and cause the handle to bend.  A cheater bar voids your warranty.
I'm not sure what size handle you have as you only said smaller but we have three different strength handles.  The short mill specials being the lightest and the Xtreme duty tools which includes the Megahook being the strongest.

Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

bandmiller2

Tamiam, I probably asked before but have you ever tried putting a light spring to push the hook to the point. You could one hand push the tool into the log and  kinda use it like a ratchet to get another bite. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!