iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

got a nice old growth timber tract..

Started by RunningRoot, January 09, 2015, 12:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RunningRoot

I got a new tract to cut this week...
It's unlike anything I've ever seen before ! Hasn't been touched in over 100+ years .. every standing whiteoak, poplar, red oak,chestnut oak and black oak on it are enormous !!! 
I'm talking the smallest of them all in the 34"+ range, 60-80 ft. and as straight as an arrow,clean as can be...

Thier literally so big, two trees will load a triaxle truck to the brim. .and a couple of them may be a load in thierself..

Theirs 28 acres that look like this, it's absolutely beautiful and it's the break/game changer I've been needing for a while as there is big big money involved in this one.

I don't have big enough equipment.
I would have to drag 1 log length at a time and that would take for ever.
So im looking for a bigger skidder,but I don't have 40 grand to spend is the problem. I need to find something of adequate size for under 20k.. if I can get my c4d sold I can do a little better on what I have to shop with...
Keep an eye out for me !

Best skidder deal in the northeast is what I need right now..
A log in the hands worth two in the bush !

treeslayer2003

i cut stuff like that all the time with a 540 deere and a 666 clark. only once in a great while do i have to pull less than 42'. you do have to plan your skid well.....not much turning lol. i realize a c4 is smaller but if your loading tri axles ya have to buck um short any way.
i bet you can find some thing in your price range tho, look farther south, cable skidders are cheaper down here. not much at all where i am tho.

ohiowoodchuck

I'm no timbercutter, but I'd take my time and use what I have. Slow and steady wins the race. I'm sure your equipment is paid for already. Look at how much more you will profit when the job is done vs. going in debit for another skidder. Just my opinion. good luck....
Education is the best defense against the media.

coxy

Quote from: ohiowoodchuck on January 09, 2015, 02:14:14 PM
I'm no timbercutter, but I'd take my time and use what I have. Slow and steady wins the race. I'm sure your equipment is paid for already. Look at how much more you will profit when the job is done vs. going in debit for another skidder. Just my opinion. good luck....
x2 my uncle used a jd 440 for over 35 years and cut big timber jmop

Bert

Im with the others. Use what you have. I have a smallish 225 jack and it does just fine in that kind of timber. Just because it has 4 chokers doesn't mean they all need hooked up. If your making a $100 a skid I bet your doing just fine and in that kind of stick your well above that.
Saw you tomorrow!

RunningRoot

The c4d can do some of it it as I cut timber of this size all the time as well just never cut it when the whole tract is timber that size..
I've cut for 5-6 years and 3 of those years I've cut in business for myself, I've hunted my whole life since the age of 7, I truly have never seen timber this big and this nice... iv seen a few on every tract, but never seen a tract with every tree on it being this large...
I honestly don't think the c4d would pull 16'ft. Logs of this size, maybe some of them but definitely not all of them..

All my current equipment is paid for in cash at purchase and I like that, low overhead. I have kinda been wanting a bigger skidder and this just gives me a push to bite the bullet and buy one...

I'm pretty excited about this tract as you can tell.. 
Timber tracts like this one are very rare around here..
This job would pay for the new (to me ) skidder in the first couple of weeks..
It's prime and veneer heaven ! 

teakwood

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

tj240

your c4 will do the job if it a tight machine. take 2 trees a time but cut the trees where the logs end then make the next hitch the tops. i cut monster oak with a 640 deere and some of the trees were two hitch trees. go light and go often, it works and the money goes in your pocket not the banks. good luck and make it work. jobs like that are few and far between.
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

RunningRoot

Teakwood

I will take pics throughout the harvest and post them to this thread.

I will try and get a couple of the tract standing as it is now as well. .
It will be at least a couple weeks before I start it..
Got to finish tract I'm on and move across the street to a tract I named "hell garden" lol  and then to the money maker...

lopet

Quote from: RunningRoot on January 09, 2015, 12:00:24 PMthere is big big money involved in this one.

Nice to have some really nice timber to cut  once every while. It sounds like everybody is on the same page here.  Why not use what you've got, make the money first and then go shopping. That would be a win win situation as the C4 doesn't owe you.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Corley5

That old C4 won't have any problem with those trees.  Cut the logs to length at the stump and drag one at a time if you need to.  It's nice to cut good timber  8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Maine logger88

This summer I pulled some massive pine with my 225 I had 1750 bd ft in one hitch ( one big tree) it did the job fine. That being said my 540 would have done it easier but of course it wasn't there. If you do look for a skidder I'd go with a 540jd 666clark 240tj size machine they work well in any sized timber
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Ohio_Bill

I have seen some tracks like that but have never had the opertatunity to cut one .Did you get your winch problems taken care of ?

Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

RunningRoot

I'd venture to say you guys have a lot more experience than I do in the woods, with that being said I'm going  to listen to you guys and attempt to do it with the C4d. There's no doubt in my mind it would do it is just a matter of time . I can always purchase a bigger skidder if things are moving to slow.

A lot  of the Oaks are pushing upwards of 50" inchs , with the poplars being right there with them in size. It's loaded with white Oak , Blackoak , chestnut oak , poplar , ash , cherry, and Hickory. TImber so tall, you couldn't squirrel hunt it with a shotgun, it would take a rifle . I'm not even going to try and describe the walnuts I'm just going to show you guys pictures😁

This is definitely a tract that doesn't come around often around these parts . I'm just lucky that the LO let me harvested it . The LO could have easily sold it to one of the large  local mills for stumpage. This tract will definitely be a bit of a game changer for me.

I'm thinking you guys are right , make do with what I have , get the job done and go get that 240A  I've been wanting afterwards 😁

Ianab

I'd say pulling out one log at a time wont be a problem if they are worth 5X what a normal drag of logs is worth  ;)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Southside

If you rush out and buy a cheap, bigger skidder now you may end up with a machine that needs a lot of work and costs you in the long run.  Cut the lot and if you want a new machine when you have cash you can take your time, find the right one, and buy it for YOUR price, not the sellers price.  Maybe then you can keep your C4 as a spare machine or special use machine - have the best of both worlds since they are both paid for. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

longtime lurker

I'm going to throw out a couple of thoughts here.
First is when's the next time you,re likely to find another job like this, and are jobs like this uncommon around there? Reason I ask is because being the guy who took forever to do a job because your gear was too small isn't always the best reputation to have. Mind, it's better then being the guy who took forever because his gear kept breaking down, but it's easier to get a bad rep then a good one in this business as we all know.
Second is that where do you stop? First we need a bigger skidder to get them to the ramp, then a bigger loader, then a bigger... You get the picture. I'm eyeing off a (wheel) loader with an 8 t lift capacity now... Then I'll need to upgrade the loader on the receiving end to match etc etc... It can be a vicious circle.
Third is that it's fine to say use what you have but - particularly with old gear that's worked hard for years - if you start hitting its design limits you accelerate wear and things start to break. Working a skidder isn't like digging a hole, there's no "take a smaller bite" option when the front wheels are light and the log has still got its nose in the dirt. Ya you can shorten the log but we all know it's easier to get rid of big 16' lengths then big 8' ones. It's fine to do it occasionally but it really does devalue the resource to do it all day.
Fourth is can you rely on your buyers to pay on time? If you can then it opens up possibilities, if you can't then being in debt can get scary.
Me, all things being equal, I'd look for another machine. Keep what you have, it's working for you and it's the devil you know. But start looking for a bigger one ASAP. That way you won't be at a dead stop if the "new" one breaks down.
Bring the new one up to devil you know status before you sell the other

Debt is only bad when you can't meet the payments - old Chinese proverb.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Ford_man

If you don't have these kind of jobs all the time maybe you could lease a larger machine for this job and not be tied down to long term payments. Just a thought.

Ed_K

Get a copy of Lumbermen's Equipment Digest and look at prices around the country.
Ed K

treeslayer2003

well..........old stuff ya need spares.........but don't go by me, i have four old skidders..........i might have the same problem with equipment as i do with saws lol.

OntarioAl

RunningRoot
Congratulations sounds like the Good Lord has blessed you.
My recommendations are;
1/ keep your C4 (its starts and runs everyday and you own it)
2/take your time, keep your skidding distances short and straight. (road the block with strategically placed landings)
3/ Directionally fell your timber tops towards your landing merchandize your timber and skid the out top first ( it reduces the skidding distance , keeps a straight pull and make s a path for the heavier butt blocks)
4/ This sounds like veneer heaven $$$$$ contact the buyers and get their specs see which ones will work with you as some of the blocks will have to be cut out in the bush if the are too big to skid.
5/ be organized and neat skid out your tops for firewood, make your piles neat and bunched as best as possible according to product it builds a good relationship with your trucker(s)
This looks like an opportunity for you to make a "war chest" so to speak.
A thought to ponder on "Who makes more? An operation that grosses
$100,000 and cost $75,000 or an operation that grosses $50,000 and cost $10,000"
My thoughts
Al
Al Raman

donny hochstetler

congradulations on ur job if u need bigger iron find an older 170 franklin they are tough, n  stable n will work their heart out find a standard shift with 453 they can b bought cheap u can pay 4 it in 3 weeks if the timber is what u say i live just north of u n no what u r talkn about most people dont know what it feels like to cut a tree that might b worth 5000. dollars or more my freind sold some old growth white oak trees this summer he inherited from his grandfather 18000.00 for three trees they were huge and i garantee  [ with all do respect ] ur c4 would not of have moved them these logs need to be brought out in no less than 20 ft. pcs or the veneer buyer will be having discussions with you ::) good luck

RunningRoot

That's what I'm thinking, Most of this timber is so big and so tall a lot of the saw logs I would like to cut out of them would go from 16' to 21' feet long. 16'-21'ft. At 40"-55" dia.... I'm not sure the c4d will do it, but I will find out as soon as I start cutting the tract.

I'm going to start looking around for a bigger skidder just in case . It never hurts to be prepared for the worst but hope for the best .

furltech

I am not sure how things work in your neck of the woods but what about just hiring the skidding part out to someone with a bigger machine while you just cut .as you said earlier those blocks are rare if you got a big skidder maybe it will be overkill for other blocks .i dont know just throwin it out there

Corley5

You might want to contact your veneer buyers and have them look at the trees before you cut them.  That way there's no question about bucking.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

RunningRoot

I've got my vaneer buyer coming out next week to walk it....
But I know he likes them 16-21 ft.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: RunningRoot on January 10, 2015, 04:38:01 PM
That's what I'm thinking, Most of this timber is so big and so tall a lot of the saw logs I would like to cut out of them would go from 16' to 21' feet long. 16'-21'ft. At 40"-55" dia.... I'm not sure the c4d will do it, but I will find out as soon as I start cutting the tract.

I'm going to start looking around for a bigger skidder just in case . It never hurts to be prepared for the worst but hope for the best .
root, the right rigging will help. this is what i have been doing.......

RayMO

Are your tires loaded ? Loaded tires can boost you hitch capacity a bunch on solid ground . Just gotta use your winch in place of a steering wheel on the turns ...
Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

RunningRoot

Tires aren't loaded but been planing on doing so, just haven't got to it yet.

Tree slayer,
How do you press your own end terminations ? That is a nice setup...

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

treeslayer2003

Quote from: RunningRoot on January 10, 2015, 10:45:52 PM
Tires aren't loaded but been planing on doing so, just haven't got to it yet.

Tree slayer,
How do you press your own end terminations ? That is a nice setup...
ya don't, its a wedge ferrule. the grey one fits in a bantam choker slide just right  ;)

Lumberjohn

Ianab has a good point. Getting another skidder cant hurt either, if you dont need it anymore you can sell it- make a buck, break even or loose very little.
I just wouldnt rush and buy the 1st skidder along- make sure its a good one.
Its easy giving someone else advice, Im always ready to give my opinion....

chester_tree _farmah

RR. Have pulled big wood with the little girl? She's chained up good? She'll drag more than she should for the lighter axles under her. 16 or 21s of that size she should do np. Just going to take more trips. But I hear u on the bigger machine. If I did this full time I would have a big bigger machine and keep the small one for the tight work. Send pics :-)
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

CX3

I didnt read all the replies, this may have been mentioned.  On big tall timber and a little skidder, buck those trees in half before skidding them.  You can still take out one tree at a time in two pieces.  If two trees will load a truck, you should be out of the woods by ten o'clock.  I wouldnt get a bigger skidder just for 28 acres of timber.  Thats my opinion.   A woodlot only has so many dollars of timber in it, those logs wont be worth more if theyre skidded with a brand new John deere skidder.  And thats my 2 cents. 
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

treeslayer2003

forgot to mention, i have had big skidders. sold um.........its hard to do selections with a big wide machine. i much prefer a compact machine that handles well. either of mine will handle most any one stick.

RunningRoot

What I really want is a 240A ...the wide track
But I'm gonna take my time and find a good one...  from what I could search, they weght 18,500 so I could still pull it on my 30,000k gooseneck...

A 240A should be a big improvement from a c4d

Chester tree,
I don't have the chains on yet but have 1 set to put on the front. I've pulled big wood with it just never this much.

tj240

i have a 240a with a 6 cyl. duetze wouldnt trade it for a new machine. it will pull till the winch slips, 19 gearamatic. 4 speed manual trans. bought it for 15k 5 years ago, put 4k in it been pulling wood ever since. just normal bull crap repairs. look around you might find one but i still say the c4 will do the job.
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

Maine logger88

A 240A is a nice rugged machine! I don't see why the c4 won't do the job but if you want a 240 anyway it wouldn't hurt to have on that job if you can find one you like

Ken

I've seen huge wood pulled with a C4 sized machine.  A wise old logger once told me to load light and travel often.  If your machine works good it should do the job with foresite and planning.   It is always a great feeling when you land a good tract of timber. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

NWP

1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

North River Energy

^Likewise on the pictures.

Am reminded of H.D. Thoreau on the topic of 'economy'.  (From Walden):

"A man who has at length found something to do will not need to get a new suit to do it in; for him the old will do, that has lain dusty in the garret for an indeterminate period... I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes... If you have any enterprise before you, try it in your old clothes. All men want, not something to do with, but something to do, or rather something to be. Perhaps we should never procure a new suit, however ragged or dirty the old, until we have so conducted, so enterprised or sailed in some way, that we feel like new men in the old, and that to retain it would be like keeping new wine in old bottles. Our moulting season, like that of the fowls, must be a crisis in our lives... Thus also the snake casts its slough, and the caterpillar its wormy coat, by an internal industry and expansion;.. Otherwise we shall be found sailing under false colors, and be inevitably cashiered at last by our own opinion, as well as that of mankind."

Good luck on the new tract.

Maine logger88

RunningRoot

Don't worry, I'll take plenty of pics...
That way I can reminice, probably won't ever get a chance to cut this kinda timber again...

RunningRoot

How big is a tree farmer C6F compared to a TJ 240A ?

I thought they quit making  tree farmers in the 80's?
The C6F I'm looking at is like a 99 model, could that be right?

From what I understand a C-4 is the same size as the C-5 just different engine, axles and winch.
So I was thinking the C6 would be a good step up from a C4 .

The C6 F has a single arch grapple with a good winch,28l tires at 90%, big rearends... And not to forget a heated cab , which I would give 10 grand for alone....
Can anyone school me on the newer tree farmers ? How about parts availability ?

lopet

Don't think there is a big difference in size compared to the 240A, but the TF will be ten or twelve years younger, has powershift , a Cummins diesel and yes they have a closed in cab and a lot more comfort, but like I said it's quite a bit newer.
Apparently there is still parts available for Franklin skidders, can't see why not for the newer TF's. I have seen a few advertised here and then but think they're way over priced, but what isn't ?
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Maine logger88

As far as older c6 treefarmers I don't think there much bigger than a 240. A 99 model would probably be bigger.

Thewoodman

I'd listen to the Aussie,  those guys know what big heavy wood is.

Out of interest, do you guys shovel logs with the loader? Can be messy, but works a treat
Manuka / Radiata Pine / Redwood

timberlinetree

Cutting Vermeer a big big saw is just as important as a big skidder. Be real carful when felling. Money and safety will be at stake. Work safe!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

mad murdock

Glad to hear you are in some good money wood. I would echo the sentiments of those who encourage you to stick with your C4.  Slow and steady will make you more money in the long haul over getting into a "counting your chickens before they hatch" scenario and start chasing bigger equipment, especially since as you say, the job is a rarity. The C4 should be able to handle 1,000-1,200 bd ft per drag as a matter of course. The other good thing about the C4, is since it will be a select cut, you will be able to maneuver better and not bark up or damage the stand you leave.  Good luck, and I will keep tuned to this post for pics!! :)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

chester_tree _farmah

Quote from: RunningRoot on January 12, 2015, 08:43:14 PM
How big is a tree farmer C6F compared to a TJ 240A ?

I thought they quit making  tree farmers in the 80's?
The C6F I'm looking at is like a 99 model, could that be right?

From what I understand a C-4 is the same size as the C-5 just different engine, axles and winch.
So I was thinking the C6 would be a good step up from a C4 .

The C6 F has a single arch grapple with a good winch,28l tires at 90%, big rearends... And not to forget a heated cab , which I would give 10 grand for alone....
Can anyone school me on the newer tree farmers ? How about parts availability ?

RR - I think loggah had or ran C6s. Maybe PM him? Would like to know what he says though. :-)
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

David-L

Lopet, one tree or less and you will be fine. This tree I harvested today had 980 bd/ft of 2 and better. This lot has all trees like this. The pic is 1/2 the tree at 980 bd/ft, the rest is lower quality and pulp. small machines can do the job but just work within there limits. Love the big stuff. The Detroit was screamin today though. Be safe.

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

chester_tree _farmah

254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

eichenberg93

Cutting big timber is always a plus. A C6f is a nice machine, about the difference between a c6f and a older C6d is the Cummins motor and power shift. Of course there is the better cab and Heat...  ;D A bigger skidder is nice to have. We ran the c6 for a while and then got the 520. Its not that we pull more wood with it, but we pull it easier. There's a line when you can pull a turn at the max capacity of the machine or pull it easy. ;) In my option when it comes to a big skidder most of the time its the operator not the width of the machine that rubs on leave trees.   

longtime lurker

Quote from: eichenberg93 on January 13, 2015, 07:41:49 PM
In my option when it comes to a big skidder most of the time its the operator not the width of the machine that rubs on leave trees.   

Truest words I've ever heard. Doesn't matter what size machine you have, when its got 20+ foot of log behind it the turn radius is about the same regardless.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

teakwood

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

RunningRoot

Lol, I haven't started it yet.. I'm still a week or two out. I just started the tract across the street from my last one and then I'm on too the big tract..
I'm excited tho, I'm not gonna lie.. I wanted to skip this tract and go straight to the money maker but I know that's bad buisness...

RunningRoot

Getting close gentlemen....

Got a few more days left of skidding and bucking and then about a day of clean up and then im on to the big tract...
I'm getting really anxious to be honest...
Even put a bigger saw on order but haven't picked it up yet..
The LO wanted me to stop by Monday to go over a few things as she had a couple questions...

mikeb1079

that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

coxy

Quote from: RunningRoot on February 13, 2015, 10:18:14 PM
Getting close gentlemen....

Got a few more days left of skidding and bucking and then about a day of clean up and then im on to the big tract...
I'm getting really anxious to be honest...
Even put a bigger saw on order but haven't picked it up yet..
The LO wanted me to stop by Monday to go over a few things as she had a couple questions...
like this I don't want you to cut any trees over 20in  :D :D I had a lo that when he found out he got paid in a check told me to get bent :o

Southside

While walking a lot once with a LO he told me he needed a "stealth" harvest..... uhhh, I don't think so....
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

so il logger

What does stealth harvest mean? Does he want you to dress up as darth vader?  :D :D :D

Ianab

Quote from: so il logger on February 15, 2015, 01:24:24 AM
What does stealth harvest mean? Does he want you to dress up as darth vader?  :D :D :D

Pull out your Poulan Wildthing with the Camo paint job. Shsssh, they wont hear me coming...
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

Maybe he did not want Uncle Sam to know about the money.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

RunningRoot

Quote from: Ianab on February 15, 2015, 03:14:21 AM

Pull out your Poulan Wildthing with the Camo paint job. Shsssh, they wont hear me coming...

This just made me spit coffee onto my lap and about wreck the truck ! Haha

Southside

Quote from: Ianab on February 15, 2015, 03:14:21 AM

:D :D :D :D  That was good, but maybe the old "Eager Beaver Chrome Cutter II" would give me better production. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

so il logger

I figured out what stealth harvest means. I been asked to do the same. Whats the eager beaver chrome cutter II?

Southside

It was a saw K-Mart sold back in the 80's. It was a good saw for home owners who wanted to cut into a leg or arm.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

so il logger

Quote from: Southside logger on February 16, 2015, 12:22:43 PM
It was a saw K-Mart sold back in the 80's. It was a good saw for home owners who wanted to cut into a leg or arm.
Sounds like a good one, I never seen one :D

sawyerf250

l'm still interested in seeing the pictures... Like to see them big timbers! Not to many places like that left up north here so its nice to dream a little!? lol
Massey Ferguson 375 w/838 loader, Wallenstien Fx 90 winch, 3 Husqvarna chainsaws

RunningRoot

I'm gonna wait and take pics as I drop  them...

I took a couple pics of the timber standing but you can't tell their size, they actually looked small or like regular timber, they are all so big there isn't one big one to stand out lol . I was by myself so I didn't have anyone to stand next to them or anything...

Thank You Sponsors!