iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do brass lube nozzles wear?

Started by terrifictimbersllc, January 09, 2015, 11:09:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

I just replaced one of my Lubemizer nozzles with a new one, because the flats on the old one were messed up from a wrench slipping.  I see the new one has a better spray pattern than the remaining older one which I didn't expect.  Now I'm thinking to replace the other one too, for better lubeing maybe use less lube.

It seems they must wear, what's going on-debris hitting it or what?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

mesquite buckeye

Water cuts metal even without abrasives.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

backwoods sawyer

The other nozzel could just need a cleaning, being low flow they do have build ups that need to be cleared, hard water can add to this.
I keep a small wire on the mill to poke out the hole from time to time. Got to be carefull as you can eroad the hole out more with a sharpy on the wire.

I have not had an issue with debri wearing the flat of the nozzel since I upgrades the guide/spray assembly on that side as both spray nozzels are faily well protected on my mill now.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on January 09, 2015, 11:33:55 AM
The other nozzel could just need a cleaning, being low flow they do have build ups that need to be cleared, hard water can add to this.
I keep a small wire on the mill to poke out the hole from time to time. Got to be carefull as you can eroad the hole out more with a sharpy on the wire.

I have not had an issue with debri wearing the flat of the nozzel since I upgrades the guide/spray assembly on that side as both spray nozzels are faily well protected on my mill now.
Thanks. Not clogged.  I have a wire I am using to clean them when something's up.  Talking about clean older nozzles not spraying like new ones.   The WM ones have a curved surface inside right opposite the exit hole which diverts the spray.  Maybe I should explore the effect, on the spray pattern, of polishing up that curved surface.  I also know from one time long ago when I enlarged the hole slightly with a bit larger drill bit, that this ruined the spray pattern.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WH_Conley

I always kept spare spray nozzles when I did commercial pressure washing. I would not expect that kind of wear on the lubemizer, but, wear eventually it will.
Bill

drobertson

the hex head is soft brass for sure, as to the nozzle hole, not really,  the machining process is going to have slight fluctuations with the geometry of the groove, but that's about it,  as to debris?  yea figure on some potential clogging, which sounds like you may have, which explains the flats on the hex being worked over ;D  as mentioned, and I agree, keep a few pair on hand, nothing worse than fighting a rounded off brass fitting, not much room for a good pipe wrench to get the good bite, ;D  I keep a pin drill handy just for keeping the hole clear, they do find a way to clog, head scratcher, but it happens,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

bandmiller2

Mayby its a new and improved nozzle, many manufacturers update and improve when the reorder parts. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

POSTON WIDEHEAD

My nozzle use to stop up a lot. I just drilled it out to the same size as the wire that WM wraps around my reshape blades.
But wearing....I don't thing one of the brass nozzles will wear out in our life time from water.
Wearing the flats out with a wrench...maybe.
Wearing the flats out with a pair of pliers.....just a matter of time.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

JB Griffin

Commercial farmers have to replace their spray rig nozzles regular, running around 40 psi, plastic, brass and ceramic. I don't know what pressure a Lubemizer runs, but yes they will wear, wear plum out I don't know.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

backwoods sawyer

I had a set of stainless, they don't wear or get rounded off, but over time they do find their way into the sawdust and debri under the mill :(

They also cost twice as much :-\

Spairs in the tool box ;)
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

terrifictimbersllc

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: JB Griffin on January 09, 2015, 09:37:16 PM
Commercial farmers have to replace their spray rig nozzles regular, running around 40 psi, plastic, brass and ceramic. I don't know what pressure a Lubemizer runs, but yes they will wear, wear plum out I don't know.

The by-pass valve sets the pressure at 6 PSI.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Alligator

Almost every thing wears out at a sawmill. The only thing I have never seen worn out is a 1/2 or 9/16 wrench. If anyone has a picture or can make me a picture of one I would like to see it. :D
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

backwoods sawyer

Herb Brooks

Quote from: Alligator on January 10, 2015, 01:23:33 PM
Almost every thing wears out at a sawmill. The only thing I have never seen worn out is a 1/2 or 9/16 wrench. If anyone has a picture or can make me a picture of one I would like to see it. :D
I have turned wrenches for nearly 40 years and have yet to see one either.  Seems I can't hang on to one long enough.

Magicman

I have my combination 7/16 wrench, cleaning wire, and a couple of spare nozzles in a heavy duty freezer zip bag.  That way all of my nozzle stuff stays together.  If you use the correct wrench, the nozzle will not wear out, but a broken blade can wreck havoc on a nozzle.  Wanna know how I know.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

In a prior life I ran steel drum rollers on a paving crew.  The bigger machines that are used on highway paving have about 20 brass spray nozzles, and yes, the pattern does goe downhill over time. I think it was a combination of wear and mineral buildup or tarnish. I tried using a brass cleaner on them, but the pattern still wouldn't be right. The pattern was critical in this application because if it wasn't right you would get dry spots on your drum, and the asphalt would stick to it. New nozzles made everything well ;)
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!