iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack 404 question

Started by slowalking, January 08, 2015, 09:46:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slowalking

Hi
I inherited an old timberjack 404 and befor I wreck anything ,I have a couple questions.
When sitting in the seat to the right side just above the emergency hand brake there is a long leaver.It appears to have 3 positions,in the full forward position and the middle position with the machine in gear the machine will move,with the lever pulled to the rear it seems to act as a brake.
I don't want to drive it until I find out what this lever is.
Also it has a big rear winch on it,I can see the drive shaft that goes to the winch is turning.Where are the controls typically to operate the winch and how can I disengage the spinning driveshaft to the winch.
This machine has an automatic transmission in it if that makes any difference.

In the picture it is the long lever just above the hand brake looking lever.

THANKS

nhlogga

I believe the winch shaft will spin at all times. If I am wrong please correct me. As always we like pics  ;D
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

ClarkF66

slowalking; I had a 404 for a few years, but it is 25 years and a few skidders ago. I am with nhlogga, the driveshaft for the winch will spin at all times. Take pictures of the machine and the lever you wonder about, and I am sure someone can help :)

slowalking

I tryed uploading picture but I get the following message .
Error
Sorry there is no album where you are allowed to upload files

Create / order my albums

File: /var/www/virtual/forestryforum.com/htdocs/gallery/upload.php - Line: 612

What am I doing wrong??

beenthere

You have an album already (thanks to Jeff).

If your pics are .jpg format, then just click the line below this posting window "Click here to add Photos to post" and you will have another window pop up that is your album. Give it a name. Then click on upload, browse, and when your pic is there just SCROLL down a ways to see the button that you click to put that pic in your post. A small window with Yes/No will pop up and you authorize the pic in your post and it will be there. Click the Preview button to verify it and then go back down and click Post. At anytime you can go to your post and edit it by clicking on "Modify". 

If this doesn't add up, go to Home page and at/near the bottom you will find the help threads.

Let us know if/what happens that doesn't work for you.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tantoy

Welcome! Not sure on the lever but would love some more pictures of your TJ.  Inherited, Lucky!!
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

Neilo

The winch has a hydraulic control lever that has: Hold - in the centre; Freespool - this should have a detent and stay in that location; Winch in (goes in direction transmission is in).

slowalking

Thanks
Could the lever on the side in the picture be the winch control lever ?

When you say ''Winch in (goes in direction transmission is in)''
if the transmission is in reverse for example does winch in disengage the transmission so the winch can can unspool or does the machine go in reverse at the same time?
THANKS FOR Any info.

jwilly3879

deerguy

The controls on the 404 look to be a little like my 330 except for the steering wheel obviously. On mine, that lever you're asking about is called a " flow divider " and the best explanation I've been given is that it partially drops or releases hyd oil pressure so that the steering etc is smoother at high rev's and higher speeds. Makes steering easier and less " jerky " especially when roading or running a long skid trail. I look forward to anyone providing a better explanation of the valves purpose.
If you pm me with an email address, I have the parts manual for the 330 on file and you can take a look at it. It has some great diagrams included. My guess is our transmissions etc will be pretty close ????

Deerguy
I knew she was a keeper when she told me to buy the old skidder !!!!!

deerguy

oops forgot to mention that on mine the winch control would be the lever just below/beside the steering wheel and the blade control would be the lever on the left from the drivers seat.

Deerguy
I knew she was a keeper when she told me to buy the old skidder !!!!!

slowalking

THANKS For the suggestions and replies,seem to have it figured out now.!!

I tried Neilo's idea that the lever controlled the winch,which it turned out it does.Appears that full forward into the indent is freewheeling,then the middle is a spring loaded  neutral position and as you pull it back toward you it starts to drive the winch .The concept of the transmission direction controlling the winch direction does not appear to be so on this machine .It appears to only have the free wheeling for you to manually pull out the cables and then when you pull the lever toward the back of the machine/toward you it winches in the cables.
AGAIN THANKS FOR THE REPLIES AND HELP.

Thank You Sponsors!