iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

3/4 pitch bar repair

Started by 1270d, January 08, 2015, 05:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1270d

Does anyone know of a shop that repairs 3/4 pitch bars?  We usually use a press at a local shop but I've heard there are places who will rebuild them including welding up the rails.   

I called Cannon bar, they do rebuilds but their price is a bit high.

lumbertick

Only around $75 more to just buy a new one... I checked into that awhile ago

SliverPicker

44" bar.  $399.99 plus shipping.

1270, try these guys.  I haven't used them for anything so I can't comment on the price, but I am told they do a great job.

http://www.gemchainbar.com/_index.php
Yooper by trade.

barbender

1270d, what do you run the 3/4 pitch on?
Too many irons in the fire

1270d

Quote from: SliverPicker on January 09, 2015, 09:49:17 AM
44" bar.  $399.99 plus shipping.

1270, try these guys.  I haven't used them for anything so I can't comment on the price, but I am told they do a great job.

http://www.gemchainbar.com/_index.php

Our timbco uses the little bit shorter bar.  Oregon pt number 38....something. The oregon bars were out of stock at the places we usually get them, with none available till march.   Ordered some from Gem, good prices.

Didn't think to ask Gem if they did repairs.

1270d

Quote from: barbender on January 09, 2015, 10:12:27 AM
1270d, what do you run the 3/4 pitch on?

425d Timbco.  I saw a video of a ponsse harvester converted to 3/4 pitch.  Reps say the saw motor can pull it.

Corley5

I've got a Gem bar for the Fabtek.  I like it better than the Oregons.  It's worn better and seems less prone to bending.  I use Oregon tips in it.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SliverPicker

I'm almost positive that Gem does repairs.
Yooper by trade.

1270d

Yup, checked their website.   It says they fix twisted bars as well.   Think we'll give em a try.

treeslayer2003

GEM? they do .404? link please

1270d

link above in sliver's post.

treeslayer2003

Gadrock

How about reporting on your experience repairing your bar. To me it seems more productive to replace considering how long they last. Keeping it tight and oiled...and returned to the safety position when not in use.
   we use a 400 series Oregon and a 48 plus bar for the ground saw. Just broke a belt yesterday for the drive system.

David g

carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

snowstorm

bars on ctl heads have a harder life than they would on a slasher. you cut a tree thats to big it slips in the head bad things happen.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: snowstorm on January 11, 2015, 11:06:43 AM
bars on ctl heads have a harder life than they would on a slasher. you cut a tree thats to big it slips in the head bad things happen.
lol, yes sir. i pretty much just quit cutting anything that needs more than two cuts with the bell.....she just won't hold it off the bar.

Thank You Sponsors!