iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wood heaters

Started by ely, January 08, 2015, 11:55:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackfoot griz

Quote from: John Mc on January 13, 2015, 11:46:22 PM
Blackfoot Griz -

Is that what's sometimes called a masonry heater?  That type of thing is what would be in my house now, if I'd known about them 12 years ago when we were building the house.

Yes--it is.
Quote from: Windy_Acres on January 14, 2015, 11:14:29 AM
Quote from: thechknhwk on January 14, 2015, 09:49:37 AM
@Windy_Acres I like that soapstone stove you posted, and the price is not unreasonable compared to some of the others I have seen.

Thanks, I kinda like Black Foots "furnace ?", that baby has got to be heavy !

It weighs over 9,000 lbs!  Just a big heat mass!
Below is the structure below the floor for support

Windy_Acres

Picked up the stove today, included a road trip with unscheduled stops, so I didnt get it unloaded/unpacked, but plan to tomorrow, as well as installed it all goes to plan.

Windy_Acres

Installed the new stove today, had my first stinky fire.

Not sure how I like it, will report back in a week or so...

Id include a pic, but cant, because I cant figure it out. I have in the past, so please, dont bother telling me how to do it again, I will just forget it again. Ive uploaded it, its there, it just does not show up with this post.

beenthere

Looks good.

It won't show up in a post until you put it in your post. ;)  But you are right, it is in your gallery. Keep poking at it.   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Windy_Acres

Thanks Been-There, I didnt know I had a gallery !

beenthere

When you are in the post you want to add the stove pic, just click on the line below "Click here to add Photos to post" and then a window will pop up. At the top you will see "Upload.." and "My Gallery".. so click on "My Gallery" any yours will pop up. Click on the pic there that you want in your post, and it will enlarge. SCROLL down a ways below that pic and you will see what to click "Insert Image in Post" button which will request a Yes/No answer. Click Yes and your pic should be in your post.
Click on the "Preview" button, and you should see what your post will look like when you click on "Post".

Sounds more difficult than it really is.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Windy_Acres

Ok Been There, I hit enough buttons that somehow, it appeared in my post, thanks for the help.

John Mc

You should be happy with it, once you get in broken in. My sister and B-I-L love theirs... I've yet to meet anyone who has a Woodstock stove that hasn't been happy with it. Very clean burning and efficient.  Just make sur eyou understand how to operate it properly to preserve the catalyst life.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Windy_Acres

Quote from: John Mc on January 17, 2015, 02:44:01 PM
You should be happy with it, once you get in broken in. My sister and B-I-L love theirs... I've yet to meet anyone who has a Woodstock stove that hasn't been happy with it. Very clean burning and efficient.  Just make sur eyou understand how to operate it properly to preserve the catalyst life.

Thanks John,

So far, in just one day, I can see its moving through less than half of the wood Im used to feeding.

I works in a totally different manner than the old stove. So far I like it. Love having a window (didnt before).

I have noticed, while working downwind outside today, I can not smell anything coming from the flue, as in before, you could tell I was heating with wood, no mistaking the smell outside, and Ive also noticed zero visible "exhaust" out of the flue, where before, we was always "smokin".

Did a bunch of reading on it before purchasing, from what I read, I thought it had a learning curve that would take a while, but for me, it seems down right simple, Ive got it cruising along at 600 degrees... no problem keeping it there.

Im trying to bake off the smell of the paint. Got several windows open right now.

beenthere

Windy
Did you buy it direct or through a dealer local to you? 

Using less wood along with the 40+ temps may go hand in hand today.  ;D
south central Wisconsin

Windy_Acres

Quote from: beenthere on January 17, 2015, 03:13:08 PM
Windy
Did you buy it direct or through a dealer local to you? 

Using less wood along with the 40+ temps may go hand in hand today.  ;D

Ive got several windows wide open (off gassing of new stove). High today was 38 at my near by airport.

Bought it direct, I didnt know they had dealers.

The old stove burned a significant amount of wood just to keep it lit. It was a late 70s model, somewhere I still have owners manual, but have no idea where its at, I just remember it having a born on date of somthing like 1979. It was/is a very loose stove, with little in the way of air control, Im thinking that is why it moved through as much wood as it did. That and the built in damper had a the large hole in the middle and was otherwise very loose fitting so you could not control the air. Im also burning up to 4 year seasoned wood. Some of it is very light and fast burning.

Im thinking I went from a pretty inefficient stove to a pretty efficient stove. This puppy is tight. Im not going to say Im a fan of this stove yet, but it is tight.

Peter Drouin

When you buy a new stove you lite it up outside first to burn off the [new]
I did that when I made mine. I have 150.00 in it and It has been in use for over 20 years and going good. No catalyst.
For me when I see all the new wood stoves and the stuff they put on them. To me It's like reinventing the wheel.
I do wish all of you good luck with your fancy stoves  :D :D :D

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

Peter,you're the one with the fancy stove. Love that brick work too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Windy_Acres

Quote from: Peter Drouin on January 17, 2015, 07:58:33 PM
When you buy a new stove you lite it up outside first to burn off the [new]
I did that when I made mine. I have 150.00 in it and It has been in use for over 20 years and going good. No catalyst.
For me when I see all the new wood stoves and the stuff they put on them. To me It's like reinventing the wheel.
I do wish all of you good luck with your fancy stoves  :D :D :D

Nice set up, had a neighbor that heated like yours, without the surround.

I see your beautiful brick work acts as a heat sink, and is a nice setup.

Yes, it was suggested to me that I burn it outside first, that was not an option, as the logistics presented themselves to me. The stove arrived assembled, I had help for one day, it took from 9am to 4pm to uncrate, and get into the house sitting where it needed to be. Then I piped it myself that evening with new pipe. I only had help available to me on Friday, so she had to go in. We ordered this stove back in the late summer/early fall, I had no idea Id be seeing it in late January, or things would have gone a little more smoothly.

I went from used $50 simple stove to as you put it a "re-invented wheel" These stove are like cars, there was the model T, there is now the new Taurus, they share allot of similarities, like 4 wheels and a seat, they are also technically quite different, even though they shared the same fuel. If I needed to get around, Id probably lean towards the taurus. And thats not vanity talking, this Woostock stove costs almost twice what I paid for my daily driver and no one will ever see it or know about it, except you folks on this forum.

We changed stoves, not to save the environment, not because it looks pretty, but because we figure we will use a fraction of the wood we have been using. We live in Farm Land Central, one natural resources we DO NOT have is wood. Our ground is extremely fertile, extremely flat, what that means is, someone is either farming or living on it. So there is no "swinging a deat cat" to hit a tree. Much to the contrary. All of what I have on hand is either diseased or wind damaged trees. 

This summer I traveled 50 miles one way to harvest my "free ash" for next year. Not sure how far most wood burners go to get their wood. I got that wood off the overburden, of a gravel pit, a friend happens to own. The trees all infested with EAB.

Having only run the stove for one day so far, I can say I like the stove, it was money well spent (when factored against the cost of propane.) The used $50 stove was a better deal up front, but the rate of feeding, brought that to a quick end.

I can also say this is a radical departure from the old stove. The surface of this stove, as I have loaded it, is running 500-600 degrees, and my flue has yet to break 300. If I got my old stove that hot, the flue would be at least as hot as the stove. Meaning, precious energy is going up the flue, no pun intended.

Both temps, are surface temps, the stove pipe is singe wall measure at 18" and both numbers verified with a touchless digital thermometer.

Peter Drouin

Windy-Acres. I wish you the best of luck with your new stove. In NH we have a lot of trees, And I only burn 5 0r 6 cords a year. My house is tight, but not so I have to put in an outside air inlet like the new houses of today. To me a house that tight is a mold factory, I have seen it.
I think I might burn an extra ½ cord a year with my stove. I just got back from one of my wood lots where I sent a logger to pull wood for me. I think I'll have 2 years of wood there. I won't know till I cut and split it. Do you think there's 10 cords there?

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thechknhwk

@Windy_Acres hows the progress hybrid doing?  I ordered one last week.  My foray into a wood furnace was not what I wanted.

Thank You Sponsors!