iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Well this morning didn't go as planned

Started by Maine logger88, January 08, 2015, 10:19:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maine logger88

It was -12 last night so I had the generator all loaded up so I could warm my skidder but when I went to start my work pickup it wouldn't start kept turning it over in 15 second bursts even got pithed and tried either lol it's a GMC half ton with a 4.8 btw. So I got in my trusty Duramax cycled the glowplugs and it fired right up. So I'm gonna chalk this day up as a loss and go run errands it would take me a half hour to swap everything I need for the day I've already been messing with the half ton for 1.5 hours and I'm outa patience lol
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Bert

I'm in the same boat. I figure by the time I fight with getting equipment started in this cold weather, and the general wear and tear on it and myself, Im better off to stay in the house. Now seems like a good time to get some of those interior home improvements completed.
Saw you tomorrow!

treeslayer2003

x3, no money to be made today. the wind here worse than the temp.

thecfarm

I know money is lost,but as least nothing broke.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Woodboogah

My skidder iced up yest. and I couldnt get it back up and running.  Sitting today and waiting for the warmer temps tomorrow.  I don't mind the cold, working with metal tools and no gloves is no fun.  Doing chores for the wife today and hanging with the dog keeping the woodstove chalk full.  When it is below zero that old iron gets brittle, maybe a day home is not really a loss, breaking something and being unproductive is more expensive.  Hard telling not knowing though.  Always a gamble in the bitter cold.  Good luck with your truck
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

Autocar

Minus seven here this morning I stayed home yesterday also, iron breaks like glass when it get's this cold. I don't mind working in cold temperatures but the wind is the killer  ;D. Keep warm and stay safe !
Bill

Corley5

We didn't start the machines yesterday or today and won't tomorrow from what the weather forecast is saying.  Anything gained by working in this weather can be lost several times over in one cold related break down.  I've been tinkering with the plow truck, new hydraulic quick couplers and a cord end for the engine heater, and getting started on the Honey Do List.  Sounds like a nice stretch of weather for logging starting this weekend.  Maybe highs in the 20s with sun for next week.  I'll believe it when I see it.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Oliver05262

I got a call from the mill today. He had a trailer coming this afternoon for a load of logs, and the Kobelco wouldn't start. Of course it's in the middle of the yard, with no generator available, and needs a really long run of extension cord to hook up a charger or heater.............
I asked him if he wanted me to come over and help.  "No, I think we can get it alright".
Plan B---- use the log truck to load the trailer.
Uh-huh. That won't start either.
At least it's parked behind the shop, and the cord and charger will reach it easy.
Waiting for another phone call.
I don't know if he's heard from the trucker, but them Quebecois seem to have no trouble in the cold weather.

Update, Friday. Log truck never did start, so neighbor came over with his truck to get the trailer loaded. Finished up well after dark. Today, since this morning was 30 degrees warmer, everything started with no trouble. I charged the batteries up and put some kerosene in the fuel to ease things for the next time. Just another day in the swamp......
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Butlerslogs

the other day it was -10 in devon uk! our timber grab wouldn even move!

luvmexfood

Yep. We awoke with around 2 deg. this morning.

Not bad for our northern friends but here in the mid-south it's unusually cold. Even the log yard announced yesterday they would not accept logs today. Even though small scale and desperately needing to get some logs out I couldn't see even trying. Had some work on the computer I needed to do for my part-time job so decided this would be a good day to go and mooch some wifi from the library and get it done. Will try to get out tommorow morning and fall a couple of trees to finish my load and get to the log yard. They close at noon on Fridays.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

RunningRoot

Same thing here, reached double digit negatives last night I recon... went to start the 7.3 this mourning and on the first turn over I knew what it was, I took the key out of the ignition, went back in the house and put on a pot of coffee and put on the house shoes... 
A log in the hands worth two in the bush !

celliott

Had -26 at the house this morning, saw -30 on the way to work.
Let the truck warm up a bit more this morning  :D
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

snowstorm

-20 here i didnt leave till it warmed up to -10 i got the fowarder started and let it run for a 1/2 hr. by the time i got into the woods it was warm enought to take the jacket off. i feel sorry for you guys cutting by hand in this cold

Maine logger88

Well I got it started this afternoon after putting the space heater under it for 15 min. I talked to a mechanic he said it probably needs plugs 220k on originals it's probably due. Not a total loss went to the bank got the boys started on cutting up firewood and did a lot of visiting lol!

David-L

-12 at 5a.m. a good day for errands. looking fwd to the weekend to start in, just a bit warmer.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

bill m

-9 here with a wind chill of -24 when I went out to the coffee shop at 5:30 this morning. Spent the day on top of the mountain just chopping. Took a little while for my hands to warm up but once they did it wasn't to bad of a day.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

luvmexfood

Looks like the temp will moderate here over the weekend but rain is supposed to start Sunday night.

Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

dsgsr

I know it's hard on equipment but it's nice to have the ground hard enough to get out on the property.

Load of Oak logs going to the Frankfort Yard.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

chevytaHOE5674

All this last week the temps have been anywhere from -24° to -10° for our morning low temps out at the job. But with the preheaters set the processor and forwarder both start up easy. Cutting a black spruce/black ash swamp so the super cold temps are good.

MUDDY

Pretty sure I lost money this week running all over trying to get the forwarders started. Finally said forget It. ( admin edit)
Better off sitting at home and feeding the wood stove. Maybe if I pith and moan enough the boss will put a block heater in them.

1270d

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on January 09, 2015, 06:00:48 AM
All this last week the temps have been anywhere from -24° to -10° for our morning low temps out at the job. But with the preheaters set the processor and forwarder both start up easy. Cutting a black spruce/black ash swamp so the super cold temps are good.

I think it warmed up to 0 for a while today.  Its sure is nice for freezing trails though.  You can get greedy with load sizes in the swamp.   You cutting still Chevy? 

Reddog

Quote from: Corley5 on January 08, 2015, 01:13:22 PM
Sounds like a nice stretch of weather for logging starting this weekend.  Maybe highs in the 20s with sun for next week.  I'll believe it when I see it.

Well sun is always out.......above the lake effect clouds.   ;D

Corley5

The sun came out today now and again as the lake effect band wandered back and forth over us.  When the band was over us it was semi blizzard like  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Maine logger88

Dsgsr that looks like a decent load of logs! Whose been scaleing up to Frankfort harrold or Bill?

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: 1270d on January 09, 2015, 07:16:50 PMI think it warmed up to 0 for a while today.  Its sure is nice for freezing trails though.  You can get greedy with load sizes in the swamp.   You cutting still Chevy?

Yeah still running processor. Boss is thinking of selling his log truck and buying a second processor.....

Thank You Sponsors!