iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ford 7.3

Started by coxy, January 08, 2015, 08:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

how come only when is real cold like this am that when my truck starts It will leak oil out of oil cooler then after about a min or so it stops when it warms up  ???

sprucebunny

Things shrink when it's cold ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

RunningRoot

When it's this cold a 15-40 oil is extremely thick, so thick it will build excess pressure in the oil galleys and such. ..
Ever watch the oil pressure on your skidder or other equipment ?
First few minutes it will run up to 35% higher pressures than at normal operating temps...

Metel expands with heat as well, so as the engine warms, the flanges swell a tad and helps close up the gap while at the same time the oil warms and thins out reducing its pressure...
Its a combination of both it sounds,plus a faulty gasket of course.
A log in the hands worth two in the bush !

ohiowoodchuck

there's two o rings on each end of it that seals the oil from the water. It's probably about time for some new ones as this is a common problem on the 7.3's. the cold weather does take a role in it. If i remember the o-rings are about 8 dollars each and the gaskets about 20 each.
Education is the best defense against the media.

roger 4400

Sprucebunny, what  do you mean when you say that things shrinks when it is cold? :D
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

coxy

Quote from: roger 4400 on January 08, 2015, 10:55:11 AM
Sprucebunny, what  do you mean when you say that things shrinks when it is cold? :D
:D :D :D :D :D :D :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

sprucebunny

:D I knew there had to be a more technical explanation...
It just can't be good for machinery to start when it's below zero F, so I guess I would ignore a small protest.
I've decided to use my block heaters this winter even if I have to drag a generator  out to the machine . That will keep me warm !!
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Jeff

We had a policy at the sawmill where we did not start equipment if colder that -5. Not sure who decided on the temp, but it was most likely we would have something seriously break if we disregarded it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

snowstorm

the oil cooler is steel so it rusts and leaks. the end caps are aluminum and they corrode. i changed mine several yrs ago. its not that hard to do. the plastic inner fender is in the way so i drilled a small hole to get the extension thru. you should drain the coolant and change the oil 

FayettesFinest

The O-rings in the oil cooler shrink and let's it puke oil. Once it warms up, it will be fine. I have a 7.3 with well over 450K on it and it does this.....along with leak oil from about 12 other places, lol. To my understanding, it's not that big of a deal, just makes a mess.
A handful of junk saws and a junk F250

coxy

one nice thing oil gets changed once a week  :D oh how many gal of oil does yours hold   mine is 5 gal on the nose  a few  guys tell me that's impossible  :-\ should be 3gal ???

brendonv

"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Brian_Rhoad

My 96 7.3 Power Stroke takes 16 quarts with the filter. Fills it right to the full mark on the dipstick.

Southside

Of course it could just be the fact that it is a Ford..... :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

ScottAR

Factory is 15qts.  I run a bigger filter so it's 4gal even.  There's 1-2 qts up in the oil galleys of the heads for the high pressure oil to fire the fuel injectors.  Some folks change that some don't.  235k I never could tell the difference so I don't. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

ohiowoodchuck

When my block cracked and I put another engine in. I put all new gaskets etc in it. It took about 20 quarts to get the high pressure system primed up and it was almost full on the dipstick.
Education is the best defense against the media.

jmouton

hey cozy my truck is doin the same thing its the oil cooler seals ,,  and it takes  15 qts and there is not  1-2 qts  in the heads  ,   very little in the heads until  the hpop starts to pump oil into the injectors and fire  at about 3000  psi ,  there is about a quarter of a quart  in the hpop resovior ,  if  you put oil in till the dipstick says ok , it may not be right ,  if the dipstick  was or has been moved in height out of the oilpan you oil level will change and  you put too much oil in and it will blow seals out  , sometimes , try running 5/40 rotella  syn,  its more expensive but way easier to start in winter  and you dont have to change it that often so it kinda offsets the cost ,,its  a noticeable  difference ,   sorry for the rant  but i know alot about the 7.3 powerstroke ,,,,

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

Windy_Acres

OP stated "Ford 7.3", nothing more, just curious, how come everyone assumes he is speaking of the DIT motor (as most of you call it the powerstroke) and how do you know that he is not making reference to the IDI motor used from 83-94.5 ? When you start throwing oil capacitys around, you stand to confuse readers that either blow in via google, or other board members. Dont think youd want to put 15-20qts of oil in an IDI motor...

As far as the oil cooler, if Im not mistaken, they are very similar from the IDI to the DIT, so that much does not matter, but the oil capacity does.

Thought that needed to be "thrown" out there.

coxy

Thank You Sponsors!