iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Favorite Diameter Measurement Tool?

Started by ChrisIsThis, January 07, 2015, 11:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisIsThis

At the risk of starting a regional feud I'm going to pose the question: What is your favorite tool to measure diameter at breast height (DBH)?

For me it is the 75' Spencer logger's tape with diameter on one side and feet on the other. I feel that it is fast, accurate, and versatile. For big trees (usually 28"+) I do carry a small 20' diameter tape so I can hook on one side and wrap it around.
The larger the island of knowledge; the longer the coast of mystery.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

BradMarks

There are only a few ways to measure diameter, and obviously the d-tape is the most accurate.  Also one can use calipers on the tree or the hi-tech calipers with lasers away from the tree. And don't forget the Biltmore stick (or similiar).  Region wise, it is almost always d-tape out west, and my understanding is calipers are very popular in the south.

ChrisIsThis

I always assumed calipers were more common in the west. I worked in North Carolina (which isn't the deep south) and never saw anyone using a caliper. I'm in the midwest now and Biltmore sticks seem to be the common tool, but they give me the heebie-jeebies.

BradMarks

Biltmore's are rough estimators, just like an angle guage is, compared to a cruising prism.  All depends on the level of accuraccy needed as to which tool should be used.

Texas Ranger

Some use calipers in the south in plantation pine.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ron Wenrich

Also depends on the skill of the user.  I've done real well with volume estimations using an angle gauge that was later confirmed with a 100% cruise.  Same goes with cruising ability. 

I have always used a diameter tape after seeing a forester butcher a cruise with a Biltmore stick.  He was consistently off in his diameters.  I've never seen anyone use a caliper. 

I remember working with a forester when I worked in Oregon one summer.  He didn't use anything.  I questioned him about how he knew what the diameter was without measuring.  He said I should check him.  He was off on one tree for the whole day.  Skill and accuracy go hand in hand.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

curdog

I like using a dtape the best, unless a tree has poison ivy,  then I like someone else using a dtape best :D

WDH

No calipers for me.  Woods are too thick.  I like the 75' loggers tape with diameter on one side of the tape as well. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Phorester

Holmes

Micrometer ,  small  small trees  ::)  ;D
Think like a farmer.

ashes

I use a 75' loggers tape diameter on one side and inches/feet on the other. It works just fine for me.
I also use the same tape to pull spokes on creek buffers. I would feel lost without that thing if I didn't have it.

RynSmith

Quote from: ChrisIsThis on January 07, 2015, 11:03:44 AM
For big trees (usually 28"+) I do carry a small 20' diameter tape so I can hook on one side and wrap it around.

A bent horseshoe nail on the end of the Spencer means one less piece of equipment to carry...   :)

ChrisIsThis

Beech trees are pretty hard to get the horseshoe nail into, but the little hook on the 20' tape can grab a bark fissure when they're too big to sling the tape around.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

roger 4400

Hi. I use a soft tape ,the one some tailors use to take your measurement, easy to carry , mine is 10 ft.
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

kczbest

20' Steel D tape. The only calipers I've ever seen were either in the classroom or a catalog.
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

gpgriz

kczbest

Welcome to The Forestry Forum, gpgriz!
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

JRiedy

8) 8) :D :D :D :D :D  That's a good one!
Quote from: curdog on January 07, 2015, 07:09:05 PM
I like using a dtape the best, unless a tree has poison ivy,  then I like someone else using a dtape best :D
Jennifer Riedy
www.pacforest.com

kwendt

Quote from: ChrisIsThis on January 07, 2015, 11:03:44 AM
At the risk of starting a regional feud I'm going to pose the question: What is your favorite tool to measure diameter at breast height (DBH)?

For me it is the 75' Spencer logger's tape with diameter on one side and feet on the other. I feel that it is fast, accurate, and versatile. For big trees (usually 28"+) I do carry a small 20' diameter tape so I can hook on one side and wrap it around.
I'm glad you asked this question.... I've been debating how best to do this.....
87 acres abandoned northern Maine farm and forest to reclaim. 20 acres in fields, 55 acre woodlot: maple, spruce, cedar and mixed. Deer, bear, moose, fox, mink, snowshoe and lynx. So far: a 1950 Fergie TO-20, hand tools, and a forge. (And a husband!)

Thank You Sponsors!